Allied strategy discussion. What to do against different axis moves?

• Hey everyone.

I simply love to play Axis and Allies and me and my friend usualy team up as Allies during our global 1940 showdowns. We have tried some very strange allied strategies with varied results, and now we know some good moves and counters.

Lately Ive hear about many thinking Axis is overpowerd. My teory is that because their play is so much simpler and less expoced to tactical error makes strategy somewhat easier to grasp, wile Axis themselves my actually not be overpowerd at all.

Here is a list some succesful moves me and my friend have made.

–---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Russia in Africa move.

Russia gets +3 ipc for every pro Axis or Italian territories in middeleast/africa, this can be exploited very good but they need to work with UK and US in order to pull it of. Russia should be in Iraq by round 3.

Russia buy 2mec and a tnk in their first round buy and place them in Volgograd. If you expect Germany to r2 attack you can leave a inf in Caucasus as well. In the event of a r3 attack UK opens up NW Persia r2 and Russia drive right to Iraq. Attack Iraq 2mec,tnk,2fgt and tac. Take I. Somali and Tubrok and Libya.

UK India tranny take Persia round 1 (they always should anyway, grabbing Island in pacific is suicide for inf and tranny).

UK needs to focus 100% on Italy (again they always should). Hit z97 7units and z96 2units. They also hit Etiopia 4units + bombard with India cruiser. (French dd does better blocking)

UK also need to buy a fgt or 2. Possibly fly India fighters to Syria if India is somewhat safe.

1. UK save India move.

Japan goes heavy for India, buys 3 trannies and land lots of air in Kwangsi. You expect DOW r2.

UK buy 5inf or 3inf 2mec.
    UK tranny takes Persia (my standard move, it makes it back)
    UK lands air to Java, Anzac moves in 3fgt and tranny in 1inf 1AA gun (must be enough to hold)
    Anzac destroyer blocks bombardment if needed.
    British battleship, anzac fleet and US fleet meet to combine in z54. They defend Sidney.
    Stack Burma.
    Block z37 with dd.
    Cruiser goes for africa, french dd goes z78 (to be used as block)

r2 land 3anzac fgt in India. If no DOW trow in the inf and the AA gun. Tranny back Persia guys.

3. US and anti Barbossa

I got a teory that US and UK should always be in comitted in Normandy 2 turns after Axis DOW.
    Remember that US units should all be trown into Europe exept for 3inf and art in pacific.

US builds 2AC and a tranny europe r1 and have bomber and 4fgt in EUS. 2sub buy pacific.
    Follow up r2-4 with more trannies,destroyer, and 4fighter buy.

Trow 4-10 US ground forces into Normandy 2turns after Axis DOW. Follow up with Brit 4-6 units and 4-6 air. French fgt.

That should force Germany to a solid Wgr/France buy and slow Barbossa alot.

If possible hold then land the 8US fgt, buy 3 US inf. Trow in another 4-6 brit units. If no hold is possible then evacuate and take Norway, Germany should already be totaly out of possition.

Coming back for more :wink: Please tell us your allied strategy.  :-D

• Reserved.

• I’ve found that its better to land early for the Allies in N.Africa and pose a double threat on Axis Europe (Rome, N.Italy, Normandy, Holland, S.France) than to just go right after Normandy and allow for a possibility of Germany to boot your first landing out via WGr and Paris.  At the onset, you don’t want to trade units with Germany and Italy in Europe - at least not until the first and second waves of units arrive in Europe in one single stack.

Also, by staging in SZ91 with your landing fleets, German aircraft are primarily out of range with the exception of Bombers, which limits the required defensive fleet at the onset of Allied Landings.  Of course, this opens up German aircraft to assist on the Eastern Front.

In particular I like to be able to land the US on N.Italy on the same round I land on Rome with the UK - which prevents a German Blitz from Paris and WGr to liberate Rome if it falls.  Provided of course that the US is able to take out N.Italy early.

I do like being able to reinforce any US landing with UK units, but that is inherently debatable depending on the Axis position in Europe and a double-strike capability between both Germany and Italy.

Also, if Sea Lion is happening to the UK at the same time the India Crush is, it is possible for Russia to send aircraft from Moscow to Calcutta to reinforce against a Japanese landing.  Russian units from Stalingrad can be in China as early as R1 and be in position to open up Yunnan for China on R2 (1 Mech/Arm from Sikang, 1 Ftr/Tac from Calcutta).

Japan does not have to declare war on Russia even if Russian units are in Calcutta, but Russia can circumvent this by DOW on R1 on Japan, sending a single Inf from Amur into Korea and still preserving the Mongolian NO if Japan attacks Amur.  This allows Russian units to defend against all further Japanese attacks against China or the UK.

Alternatively, Russia can also fly the Ftr/Tac straight into Yunnan on R1 which could possibly cost Japan multiple Aircraft and the potential for Japan to be unable to take Yunnan on J1 which creates plenty of havoc for a Japanese player.  I haven’t employed this strategy yet, as I prefer being able to remove the few surviving ground units in Yunnan after J1 attacks with the R2 counter I detailed earlier - this allows C2 to purchase Artillery and start advancing on its losses in China (Don’t sacrifice your stack on C1) with 10 or so Inf and probably 2 Art which is enough to start chasing Japanese ground units out.

• Japan goes after Russia and before China - Russia won’t really be able to “open up” anything that early in the game, since China will already have taken back Yunnan.  After R2 Japan will take it right back.

Also planes in Moscow can’t reach Calcutta in one turn.

• TripleA

The ANZAC air to india is why I Japan 1 DOW. If I am going to take more losses in india, it’d better be to kill russian air :)
    ~

Normandy is a big problem in low luck games… tend to get strafed there. :(

• TripleA

I have something to contribute to this.

IF GERMANY BUYS SEA LION ROUND 1 USA BUYS BOMBERS ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS. JAPAN CANNOT  DOW ROUND 2 OR BOMBERS FLY INTO UK STOPPING A GERMANY ROUND 3 TAKEOVER OF LONDON. IF HE DOES NOT BUY TRANSPORTS ROUND 2 TO TAKE OUT LONDON BUY MOAR BOMBERS TO SINK HIS STUFF IN THE BALTIC AND LAND ARCHANGEL OR BELARUS OR SOMETHING.

That is all I have to say.

• @Alsch91:

Japan goes after Russia and before China - Russia won’t really be able to “open up” anything that early in the game, since China will already have taken back Yunnan.� After R2 Japan will take it right back.

Also planes in Moscow can’t reach Calcutta in one turn.

Truth, when I read the manual, there was nothing specific regarding aircraft flying over a Strict Neutral.  The manual does state that Strict follow the same rules as Unfriendly, which implies the no fly-over rule.

With that insight my suggestion is void.

• TripleA

they asked this in the faq to find out the answer. I know the rulebook needs an update.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m