Just What Was Bunnies Thinking? Russian Roulette (Triple) Game Ccmmentary

• '12

Impressive, in particular as it was done sans editing.  With your US builds you mention “US built 1 carrier, 2 transports, 2 tanks, and 1 infantry”, of course you meant artillery, gotta hate it even with 90 wpm your fingers lag your mind as you were thinking about what you usually build.

It almost a pity that this scenario started out in a generally atypical state after R1.  If you were to do a tutorial then perhaps laying out a typical, perhaps a poor choice of words, an idealized game with more statistically average dice rolls.  Of course when the first dice are rolled all planning often goes out the window and one should never lock into a plan.  There would be a combinatorical explosion if too much attention was given to statistically less likely scenarios so what to do?

I’m having troubles getting TripleAA to work so as to review spring 42 games there and worse, the older games played here are gone.  Our local group is having a tough time against the ‘Fortress Europe’ strategy Hobbes outlined here.

I feel bad for my Allied opponent, last night in game 1 of 2, the typical R1 2 attack into Wru and Urk 2 tanks each, the russians cleared Ukr with only 1 Ftr remaining the rest of the rolls were slight axis favoured up until the end of G1.  Game 2, Ukr was hit with 3 tanks in the usual R1 2-attack mode, great, he won with 3 tanks, inf and art.  Then next was Wru….in with 9 of 11 possible units, captured with 1 of 9 attacking pieces left.  I open with a 5 Inf 5 Tank build for G1 usually and generally follow Fortress Europe and while I am not in the top 25% I don’t make too many mistakes playing the Axis.  But I also don’t play the allies that well nor do my friends we don’t know what to do to beat how we play the Axis.

I need to get over the learning curve of TripleA I guess and see what occurs there, but then so would all my friends in our local group, not going to happen too easily I am afraid. It was hard enough to get them to start visiting here, imagine that!

Perhaps an emulation of how the games play out here including maps but keeping ‘dice rolls’ outside the statically unlikely range.

• @MrMalachiCrunch:

Our local group is having a tough time against the ‘Fortress Europe’ strategy Hobbes outlined here.

I’ve seen ways of countering it…

• '12

Well I have yet to see people talking about requiring a bid for the allies so there is obviously something we are missing.

I seem to be missing some map files or something for the tripleA software.  The files you guys have provided I can load, but then…… I try play and get a screen full of errors:

I can load the file “HobbesMay0611.tsvg”

The UI for TripleA says Game name World War II v4, game version 2.6, filename HobbesMay0611.tsvg

The play command button is not active but quit is.  So…I can press Start Local Game and I see a list of 5 players and all Human so…I can now press Play and a text window pops up displaying:

"ava.lang.IllegalStateException: Could not find file for map:World War II v4
    at games.strategy.triplea.ResourceLoader.getPaths(ResourceLoader.java:67)
    at games.strategy.triplea.ResourceLoader.getMapresourceLoader(ResourceLoader.java:33)
    at games.strategy.triplea.ui.UIContext.internalSetMapDir(UIContext.java:189)
    at games.strategy.triplea.ui.UIContext.setDefaltMapDir(UIContext.java:162)

blah blah blah

So, I am missing a map somebody said…tried googling for maps and ugh… tried a few and gave up without success.

So what am I doing wrong?

• @MrMalachiCrunch:

Well I have yet to see people talking about requiring a bid for the allies so there is obviously something we are missing.

Well if you guys want some pointers I can give them but it should be more fun to discover them for yourselves :)

I seem to be missing some map files or something for the tripleA software.  The files you guys have provided I can load, but then…… I try play and get a screen full of errors:

I can load the file “HobbesMay0611.tsvg”

The UI for TripleA says Game name World War II v4, game version 2.6, filename HobbesMay0611.tsvg

The play command button is not active but quit is.  So…I can press Start Local Game and I see a list of 5 players and all Human so…I can now press Play and a text window pops up displaying:

"ava.lang.IllegalStateException: Could not find file for map:World War II v4
    at games.strategy.triplea.ResourceLoader.getPaths(ResourceLoader.java:67)
    at games.strategy.triplea.ResourceLoader.getMapresourceLoader(ResourceLoader.java:33)
    at games.strategy.triplea.ui.UIContext.internalSetMapDir(UIContext.java:189)
    at games.strategy.triplea.ui.UIContext.setDefaltMapDir(UIContext.java:162)

blah blah blah

So, I am missing a map somebody said…tried googling for maps and ugh… tried a few and gave up without success.

So what am I doing wrong?

When you start TripleA one of the options on the menu is: ‘Download Maps’. Click on it and then copy/paste the following url on the window and click List Games:
    http://sites.google.com/site/tripleaerniebommel/home/mods/TripleA_Quality_Mods_EB.xml

When the map list appears, you’ll want World War II v4

PS - You’ll need version 1.2.5.5 to open the saved game. However that version has just been discontinued and replaced with 1.3.1.0 but you may still download it.

• '12

Thanks for the help Hobbes.  This is not moving along easily.  So, I loaded the file, selected the map as per instructions.  Had to restart TripleA as per its instructions, now when it loads but before I touch the user interface I get another text box listing a few pages of errors:

"Could not parse:jar:file:/C:/Users/Randy-Tv/triplea/maps/World%20War%20II%20v4.zip!/games/WW2v4%20Six%20Army%20Free%20For%20All%20v2.xml
    games.strategy.engine.data.GameParseException: No setter for attachment option. Setter:isAirTransportable Class:games.strategy.triplea.attatchments.UnitAttachment
    at games.strategy.engine.data.GameParser.setValues(GameParser.java:1181)
    at games.strategy.engine.data.GameParser.parseAttachments(GameParser.java:1101)
    at games.strategy.engine.data.GameParser.parse(GameParser.java:125)
    at games.strategy.engine.framework.ui.NewGameChooserEntry.<init>(NewGameChooserEntry.java:27)
    at games.strategy.engine.framework.ui.NewGameChooserModel.createEntry(NewGameChooserModel.java:163)
    "

I am running version 1.3.5, is that incompatible with:
    http://sites.google.com/site/tripleaerniebommel/home/mods/TripleA_Quality_Mods_EB.xml

I see I need 1.2.5.5  to open saved games, but what about tripleA all by itself?

We should probably fork this thread off……</init>

• @MrMalachiCrunch:

I am running version 1.3.5, is that incompatible with:

I can’t find any version with that numbering. Can you confirm it?

You actually should try to get 1.3.1.0 first. Their lobby isn’t working at the moment but the lobby for 1.2.5.5 has been closed today.

You might be running a older game version that is conflicting with one of the new v4 scenarios for 1.3.1.0. Looks that way from the error message. Are you sure you were running 1.3.1.0 when you tried to load it?

• '12

I just recently installed the software, about 1 week ago. I start triplea via start menu and right away the error message list is displayed, the user interface shows Game Version 1.3.5.  I wonder if this is a newer version based on version numbers, perhaps a beta?

Ah, the properties for triplea show it as 1_2_5_5, I wonder what the discrepancy is about?

I see, the game version was for the version of the map the 1.2.5.5 software was running,  by default the triplea software is using World War II Revised version 1.3.5 game to run, I can select one of 5 games under Choose Games

World War II v4 is not an option, unless I goto download maps, select that site you mentioned and press list games and re-Install World War II v4, it says I have version 2.7 installed and to replace it with the same, so I press Yes.  It starts to download and…its stuck downloading for the last 5 minutes…OK, successfully installed, restart tripleA before playing so…OK,  Quit, Restart and list of errors along with the tripleA software running with the same 5 default games available to play…Ugh

I used to write software that ran/runs on fortune 500 computers, I’m not the same since an accident but I should be able to get this to run.

• Game Version 1.3.5. refers to the version of the scenario currently loaded

• '12

Thanks for pointing that out to me :-)  So the newer version of the software works fine, didn’t have to download maps to get the V4 map but of course it won’t run those saved games.  The older version continues to have issues so I will uninstall it and reinstall it.

• '12

Well, I un-installed both versions of the software, deleted the folders, reinstalled 1.2.5.5 and it works fine.  I then followed the listed instructions, downloaded maps, used:

Selected World War II v4, it downloaded, installed fine, instructed me to restart the software and I did, and now I get the same errors again since I downloaded that map.  I guess i will have to ask in the forum at http://triplea.sourceforge.net/mywiki.

• @MrMalachiCrunch:

Well, I un-installed both versions of the software, deleted the folders, reinstalled 1.2.5.5 and it works fine.  I then followed the listed instructions, downloaded maps, used:

OK, I think I figured it out. You need to remove 1.2.5.5 and install TripleA game engine 1.3.1.0 - the World War II v4 scenario available for download has already been updated to version 2.7, which is not compatible with game engine version 1.2.5.5

• '12

Thanks for clearing that up Hobbes, greatly appreciated.  But a pity, so all the sample .tsvg files here can never be viewed by me as I can’t get 1.2.5.5 map files to work with them and those files cannot be read by 1.3.1.0  I guess there isn’t much call for conversion software to upgrade the .tsvg files to newer engines.

So I guess I must wait for new games to be played on tripleA then view them?  I haven’t tried doing this yes but I understand this is possible?

• I’ll save my next game, as soon as the server is back online. :)

I can host a game if anyone is interested

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m