• Hi,
    I have the Revised version of A&A, and was wondering what changes have been made in the 1942 version.
    The comment has been made on here that this game is balanced. (no axis bid is needed)
    Has that balance been obtained thru the many updated rules, or is the map and/or setup different?
    I downloaded IL’s map for 1942, and cannot see any differences.
    Most of the rule changes I think I am aware of. (I have AAP40, aren’t the rules very similar?)
    I also have noticed that the NOs and Techs are also gone.

But I can’t see how any of these changes would lessen the allies’ advantage…

Is there any place I could go to see the setup for 1942?

Thanks!

• The map differences are the addition of Iceland and Formosa, and W. Canada (doesn’t border SZ63 and C. US anymore)

The setup is almost the same as Revised, the differences are on the ships:

• UK battleship on SZ13 is replaced by a cruiser
    • UK destroyer on SZ15 remains a destroyer (hitting now on a 2 instead of a 3)
    • UK destroyer on SZ35 is replaced by a cruiser
    • US destroyer on SZ10 is replaced by a cruiser
    • US destroyer on SZ20 remains a destroyer
    • German destroyer on SZ5 remains a destroyer
    • Japanese destroyer on SZ50 is replaced by a cruiser

• As Hobbes clearly defines it, without saying it, the balance was obtained with naval tweeks.

The biggest impact is certainly the UK BB being nerfed to a cruiser. This certainly makes a huge difference in the fight for the Med. sea.

The outcome is the same, that ship is sunk. However, Germany has a better chance of seeing its planes/ships return, thus evening the field.

• OK, and thank you for your replies.

• We’ve been playing every single friday since 42 came out and we think the game still heavily favors the allies.

• My opinion on 1942 vs Revised is not yet fully formed.  But I feel confident saying that the Allies need a much more powerful navy in the Atlantic in 1942 (as opposed to Revised), as transports and subs may no longer fill the role of battle fodder (the last assuming the attacker didn’t bring a destroyer.)

The 1942 version brings to mind an acquaintance of mine, Craig Coburn.  His German bombers based in Western Europe were interesting in Revised.  In 1942, I think his strategy would be far more than merely “interesting”.  Pity he moved back to France as far as I know.

All in all, I vastly prefer 1942.

• @Bunnies:

The 1942 version brings to mind an acquaintance of mine, Craig Coburn.  His German bombers based in Western Europe were interesting in Revised.  In 1942, I think his strategy would be far more than merely “interesting”.  Pity he moved back to France as far as I know.

Check the Fortress Europe strat on my signature. You might find it to your liking :)

• @Hobbes:

Check the Fortress Europe strat on my signature. You might find it to your liking :)

Yeah, I just spent a few hours on a response.  :oops:  Well, you know how this bunny gotta p wrath and all . . .

Generally, I like the idea, but I think the Allied counters I proposed, if properly executed, should leave the Axis with - well not PROBLEMS, but not an out and out victory either.

Strat bombing is good in 1942 also, far better than Revised.  Bombers drop to 12?  Woaah.  I mean, yeah, I’d probably still want to use bombers against hard targets, but this is ANOTHER whole Craig Coburn thing where he takes these Jap bombers and I-Bombs Russia.  He never COULD pull it out in Revised, but 12 IPC bombers changes things, it really does - especially with the new costs, insta-death transports, and even sub fodder rules.

(starts humming Aladdin’s “a whole new worrrlllld”)

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m