Good books on Ancient and Medieval Asia.

• Does anyone know good books on ancient and medieval Asia. Especially China and India, but all of early Asia (China, Korea, India, Japan, Southeast Asia, Mongolia, etc.)

So what are some good books on Ancient and Medieval Asia.

• Try “Giving Up the Gun:  Japan’s Reversion to the Sword” by Noel Perrin.

http://www.amazon.com/Giving-Up-Gun-Reversion-1543-1879/dp/0879237732/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1290657142&sr=1-1

This is a very good book about Japan in the 1500-1900 time period.  It chronicles the only time in history (that I know of) that a culture mastered a better form of warfare and then gave it up and reverted to an earlier, weaker form of warfare.  I enjoyed the book, although the reviews on Amazon are pretty mixed, and I haven’t read anything else that supports the author’s premise, so I not sure how historically accurate the book is.

• @Bardoly:

Try “Giving Up the Gun:  Japan’s Reversion to the Sword” by Noel Perrin.

http://www.amazon.com/Giving-Up-Gun-Reversion-1543-1879/dp/0879237732/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1290657142&sr=1-1

This is a very good book about Japan in the 1500-1900 time period.  It chronicles the only time in history (that I know of) that a culture mastered a better form of warfare and then gave it up and reverted to an earlier, weaker form of warfare.   I enjoyed the book, although the reviews on Amazon are pretty mixed, and I haven’t read anything else that supports the author’s premise, so I not sure how historically accurate the book is.

hmm, I’ll check the library.

• Do you mean ancient and medieval equivalencies to their own development or their position to those times related to those terms usually used for Europe’s history?  I don’t think it’s exactly the same thing and could recommend differently depending on what you mean…

• @Jermofoot:

Do you mean ancient and medieval equivalencies to their own development or their position to those times related to those terms usually used for Europe’s history?  I don’t think it’s exactly the same thing and could recommend differently depending on what you mean…

The position to those related times. So when the Crusades happened in Europe, the Mongol invasions in Asia.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m