• Okay, so two nights ago we just finished our game of Pacific. We played with OOB rules and it was a victory to the Allies. I’ll try to give as many details as  I can if you are all interested in reading it. I was Allies, cousin was Japan. (bare with me if the details are not so, well, detaily)

J1: Japan buys MIC and 2 trannies. Attacks fleet off of the coast of Philipines. Moves Fleet from SZ 33 (I think) down one space to attack those islands there. Starts killing China.Takes Kwangtung. Attacks Tranny on Hawaii with whole Japanese Fleet. Places MIC in area north of Kwangtung

US1: Buy CV, take back Hawaii SZ, Move planes from Philipines to Hawaii.

CH1: Take Yunnan back.

UK1: Buy CV Place one fighter and dive bomber on it. Use trannies and Battleship to start doing my NO’s

ANZAC1: Buy Tranny and Troop. Move all of my stuff to queensland in preparation for attack.

First Round analysis: I did not expect a J1 Attack. Still I think Japan made some grave errors in not attacking any of the DEI or FIC. Furthermore, he lost 2CVs at Hawaii, a big blow and never took over Philipines. He didn’t move his homeland airforce, meaning they weren’t doing anything. Perhaps as The Allies I shouldn’t have purchased those CV’s , but I think they gave me a slightly higher leverage in the South Asian Seas. Trannies might have been a better option. All infantry buys if I was expecting an attack on India. (Which never came) Overall, I think I played a lot better than he did.

• J2: Buys Battleship and trannies and troops, takes Yunnan and other northern China provinces. Takes New Britain and Attacks Philipines using Airplanes on the CV in New Britain Coupled with a landing force from Japan.

US2: Buy Bomber, tranny, troop and art (this was pretty much a standard buy for me). 1 destroyer and Cruiser. Move CV to Hawaii.

CH2: Take back Yunnan, place troops in northern provinces to draw forces to the North, away from India.

UK2: 2 inf 2 art, have whole fleet meet up at Borneo. Await possible Japanese Attack from Philipines. Move all my forces up from India to the Front Lines

ANZAC2: Buy one destroyer, move previous tranny with troop and tranny from SZ 62 to 55. Use troop from queensland with tranny to go behind enemy lines and take Caroline Islands for easy 5 IPC boost for next turn.

For Me this turn I think was a relatively quiet one. I didn’t feel to threatened. I had a massive air power on Hawaiian Islands just in case he tried to get cute with me. I felt UK’s fleet in the South Pacific was complete (1 of each ship, Fighter and Tac Bomber, and 4 inf) I lost the Philipines, but that was expected IMHO. The situation in China sucked. But Japan hadn’t placed any new boots on the continent either.

• @AmpsterMan:

Okay, so two nights ago we just finished our game of Pacific. We played with OOB rules and it was a victory to the Allies. I’ll try to give as many details as  I can if you are all interested in reading it. I was Allies, cousin was Japan. (bare with me if the details are not so, well, detaily)

J1: Japan buys MIC and 2 trannies. Attacks fleet off of the coast of Philipines. Moves Fleet from SZ 33 (I think) down one space to attack those islands there. Starts killing China.Takes Kwangtung. Attacks Tranny on Hawaii with whole Japanese Fleet. Places MIC in area north of Kwangtung

US1: Buy CV, take back Hawaii SZ, Move planes from Philipines to Hawaii.

CH1: Take Yunnan back.

UK1: Buy CV Place one fighter and dive bomber on it. Use trannies and Battleship to start doing my NO’s

ANZAC1: Buy Tranny and Troop. Move all of my stuff to queensland in preparation for attack.

First Round analysis: I did not expect a J1 Attack. Still I think Japan made some grave errors in not attacking any of the DEI or FIC. Furthermore, he lost 2CVs at Hawaii, a big blow and never took over Philipines. He didn’t move his homeland airforce, meaning they weren’t doing anything. Perhaps as The Allies I shouldn’t have purchased those CV’s , but I think they gave me a slightly higher leverage in the South Asian Seas. Trannies might have been a better option. All infantry buys if I was expecting an attack on India. (Which never came) Overall, I think I played a lot better than he did.

The Entire Jap fleet was defeated? How was 2 BB’s and 3 CV’s defeated by one of each?

• @calvinhobbesliker:

The Entire Jap fleet was defeated? How was 2 BB’s and 3 CV’s defeated by one of each?

Well not the entire Japanese fleet, only the one stationed in Japan. The thing is that didn’t capture Hawaii, only the SZ around it. So what I did was that I sent my entire Californian Fleet That way, including my planes too. Furthermore, I didn’t scramble My Hawaiian planes when they attacked. So If, I remember correctly, I had two bombers, like 5 planes and a battleship Cruiser, destroyer and Sub attacking him. Mind you, it wasn’t easy, I lost a destroyer, a Sub 2 fighters and my Battleship was on its side, but I won.

• @AmpsterMan:

@calvinhobbesliker:

Well not the entire Japanese fleet, only the one stationed in Japan. The thing is that didn’t capture Hawaii, only the SZ around it. So what I did was that I sent my entire Californian Fleet That way, including my planes too. Furthermore, I didn’t scramble My Hawaiian planes when they attacked. So If, I remember correctly, I had two bombers, like 5 planes and a battleship Cruiser, destroyer and Sub attacking him. Mind you, it wasn’t easy, I lost a destroyer, a Sub 2 fighters and my Battleship was on its side, but I won.

Yeah, if he did that, he should’ve at least brought in the carolines fleet

• J3: Buys 3 battleships (he had saved money from earlier somehow, don’t remember) Starts cracking China finaly, only down to three provinces, moves transports out of Philipines, moves from New Britain to SZ 54, planes included. Gets ready to invade India

US3: Standard Buy and 2 fighters. Move fleet from Hawaii, to Caroline Islands, move fleet from California to Hawaii. I had 4 bombers stationed in Hawaii with 3 Figs protecting them.

CH3: 1 inf in the northwest most territory. Seriously…. China Sucks…

UK3: Purchase 4 in 2 art. Move all troops to frontlines, get ready to fight for Yunnan. Fleet moves to Celebes, capture it. Fulfill my NO.

ANZAC3: Purchase 3 DD. Attack Japanese Fleet in SZ 54 with 4 figs and 1 DD. Destroy both planes, but the Capital Ships Survive.

At this point, I was a bit apprehensive. I thought as America I had expanded myself too far going into Carolinas. Furthermore, Hawaii seemed fairly unprotected due to the few fighters I had compared to the massive amount he had. Still, I think he was getting a bit scared too as I was really close to Japan’s territory right now. I was confused about what he hoped to accomplish in the Aussie waters. It seemed like he was just going for a suicide attempt or something. This I think was also the highest point for him in terms of income, 49 I believe it was.

• @calvinhobbesliker:

I agree, it would have been a much tougher fight. But personally, I don’t think he should have done that in the first place. If I wanted to threaten the US, I would have taken Midway on 1st turn, use planes from Japan, to attack Hawaiian Bomber, one plane to kill the tranny. Would have taken Philipines with fleet from carolinas and some planes from Japan. This would get rid of two out of three US bombers and 2 fighters and 1 tac bomber. This, I think could have made a difference. If that would have worked, as America, I can guarantee I would have been way more careful and apprehensive about what I did.

• @AmpsterMan:

@calvinhobbesliker:

I agree, it would have been a much tougher fight. But personally, I don’t think he should have done that in the first place. If I wanted to threaten the US, I would have taken Midway on 1st turn, use planes from Japan, to attack Hawaiian Bomber, one plane to kill the tranny. Would have taken Philipines with fleet from carolinas and some planes from Japan. This would get rid of two out of three US bombers and 2 fighters and 1 tac bomber. This, I think could have made a difference. If that would have worked, as America, I can guarantee I would have been way more careful and apprehensive about what I did.

Japan has no planes that can reach Hawaii on turn 1

• @calvinhobbesliker:

Really? I always thought you could land them on the Marshall islands (unless we are misinterpretting the rules on movement)

• @AmpsterMan:

@calvinhobbesliker:

Really? I always thought you could land them on the Marshall islands (unless we are misinterpretting the rules on movement)

Okay, which planes are you talking about that attack Hawaii and what is their movement path?

Also, you realize that Hawaii has 2 inf and a fighter as well as a bomber, right?

• @calvinhobbesliker:

Okay, which planes are you talking about that attack Hawaii and what is their movement path?

Also, you realize that Hawaii has 2 inf and a fighter as well as a bomber, right?

Well I am talking about planes from Japan Island. Their Flightpath is SZ16, SZ29, SZ26 (Attack), SZ 31, SZ32.

The reasons you stated above are why I think it would be foolhardy to attack without taking it over. I guess the point I was trying to make was that if he was going to attack Hawaii, I think he should have atleast attempted to destroy those planes, which he never did.

Ofcourse, if he has no way of making it to Hawaii then the whole point is moot  :-P

• The shortest path to Hawaii from japan and back is Japan-Z6-Z16-Z25(not 29)-Z26-Hawaii(You need one move to attack the island itself-Z26-Z30-Z32-Marshalls. That’s 9 moves. Maybe you thought you only needed to get to Z26 to attack Hawaii?

• I thought that you just counted the SZ next to where you were taking off from, didn’t know attacking counted as a move. Lol, I think that one rule interpretation might have changed a bit of how the game went….

Thanks for the update  :-D

And in case you were wondering, he attacked me in Alaska on turn 4, I repelled him turn 6, by turn nine I had every territory I originally had back in my hands. I was going to win.

We are going to play a game tonight (hopefully) I’ll have to reread the rulebook to make sure I don’t make anymore errors.

In any case, it seems to me that the only reason I won was because I was able to get all of my NO’s where as he didn’t get any. He also didn’t put enough boots on the ground methinks. Am excited to see how tonights game goes on. Thanks for the replys Calvinhobbesliker!

• @AmpsterMan:

I thought that you just counted the SZ next to where you were taking off from, didn’t know attacking counted as a move. Lol, I think that one rule interpretation might have changed a bit of how the game went….

Thanks for the update  :-D

And in case you were wondering, he attacked me in Alaska on turn 4, I repelled him turn 6, by turn nine I had every territory I originally had back in my hands. I was going to win.

We are going to play a game tonight (hopefully) I’ll have to reread the rulebook to make sure I don’t make anymore errors.

In any case, it seems to me that the only reason I won was because I was able to get all of my NO’s where as he didn’t get any. He also didn’t put enough boots on the ground methinks. Am excited to see how tonights game goes on. Thanks for the replys Calvinhobbesliker!

Even if you did that, that’s still 8 moves. Bomber from airbase only gets 7.

Anyway, you’re welcome

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m