Question about transport defending in sea battle.

• '10

In our current game still in progress as Japan I had one transport in sea zone 41 and one infantry in Sumatra. The U.K. player launched an amphibious attack on Sumatra supported by one cruiser and one battleship. The sea battle must be decided first. The transport is destroyed as it cannot defend. Does the U.K. player still get to bombard for one round or does the sea battle with the transport block the bombardment?

• '10

@Fishmoto37:

In our current game still in progress as Japan I had one transport in sea zone 41 and one infantry in Sumatra. The U.K. player launched an amphibious attack on Sumatra supported by one cruiser and one battleship. The sea battle must be decided first. The transport is destroyed as it cannot defend. Does the U.K. player still get to bombard for one round or does the sea battle with the transport block the bombardment?

OK, I have answered my own question. I finally found the answer in the rule book. “Air or sea units (other than transports) ending their combat movement in a sea zone containing only enemy transports automatically destroy those transports. This counts as a sea combat for those sea units.” This comes from page 31 under Unit Characteristics. So in the example above the cruiser and the battleship do not bombard.

• @Fishmoto37:

@Fishmoto37:

OK, I have answered my own question. I finally found the answer in the rule book. “Air or sea units (other than transports) ending their combat movement in a sea zone containing only enemy transports automatically destroy those transports. This counts as a sea combat for those sea units.” This comes from page 31 under Unit Characteristics. So in the example above the cruiser and the battleship do not bombard.

Keep in mind it says “except transports,” which means the situation described is not an amphibious assault

• Official Q&A

The attacker has the choice of either ignoring the transport and doing bombardment or sinking the transport and forfeiting bombardment.  He/she can’t do both.

• '10

@calvinhobbesliker:

@Fishmoto37:

@Fishmoto37:

Keep in mind it says “except transports,” which means the situation described is not an amphibious assault

I assume that by saying “the situation described” you are referring to the rule book example and not my example in Sumatra. When the rule book states “other than transports” it is referring to transports moving alone into a sea zone occupied by an enemy transport in which case no action is possible. In my example in Sumatra there was one transport with two infantry aboard.

• '10

@Krieghund:

The attacker has the choice of either ignoring the transport and doing bombardment or sinking the transport and forfeiting bombardment.  He/she can’t do both.

Hold on here lets back up a second. The rule that I quoted plainly says that the the transport is AUTOMATICALLY DESTROYED thus a sea battle has occured without player options. What have I missed?

• Official Q&A

Amphibious assaults are an exception.  Page 15:

Step 1. Sea Combat: If there are defending surface warships and/or scrambled air units, sea combat occurs.  If there are only defending submarines and/or transports, the attacker can choose to ignore those units or conduct sea combat.

• '10

@Krieghund:

Amphibious assaults are an exception.  Page 15:

Step 1. Sea Combat: If there are defending surface warships and/or scrambled air units, sea combat occurs.  If there are only defending submarines and/or transports, the attacker can choose to ignore those units or conduct sea combat.

OK, I got it now. Thanks Krieg.

• Can one surface warship ignore the transport and bombard while another surface warship destroys the transport and forfeit its bombardment ability?

• Official Q&A

No.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m