Craziest rolls you've seen in AAP40?

• @dinosaur:

I figured that was what happened.  This scenario is why I have trouble as Japan pulling the trigger on assualts that should work, but could also go very wrong.  I probably play too timid because of it.

I hear you on that dinosaur. This is why when people say invade U.S. I say to them, “good luck”.

• I’d like to say, “Can you wait a second, I want to play the US.”  Better yet, I think the UK may come out of that one smelling like a rose.

• I play LowLuck  :-D

• What extacaly is low luck at how do you do it.

Thanks

• @democratic:

What extacaly is low luck at how do you do it.

Thanks

In LowLuck, you add up the attack vallues of all units.
    For every 6 points, you have an automatic hit, for the remainder of attack value you throw a dice.

Example:

Japan attacks with 4 INF and 1 ARM
    UK defends with 3 INF and 1 FTR

Japan has a total attack value of:

(4 x 1) + 3 = 7

For UK a defense value of

(3 x 2) + 4 = 10

so that means, in the first round of combat, both sides get 1 autohit (for every 6 value), and Japan gets to throw 1 dice for 1 value, and UK 1 dice for 4 value.

Let’s say that Japan misses with the dice, and UK hits.

Round2, Jap lost 2 INF, UK 1.

Japan attack value now is 4 (1 INF & 1 ARM).
    UK is at 8.

Japan rolls 1 dice for 4, UK gets an autohit, and rolls a 2.

Etc.

This reduces the influence of the dice heavily.

• That however changes the game completely, not saying it is a bad thing since I’ve never tried, but nevetheless the game would be totally different. Luck is something you must take into account. And in all honesty, this game was first designed to be played with friends. And let me tell you, there’s nothing better than a very bad roll to stir up things or to make things more exciting. That and I suppose pizza beer and bad jokes

• @Omega:

That however changes the game completely, not saying it is a bad thing since I’ve never tried, but nevetheless the game would be totally different. Luck is something you must take into account. And in all honesty, this game was first designed to be played with friends. And let me tell you, there’s nothing better than a very bad roll to stir up things or to make things more exciting. That and I suppose pizza beer and bad jokes

I couldnt agree more.

• I made an amphibious assault on India as Japan. UK had 1 tank, 1 inf, 1 tac and 2 figs. I had 2 inf, 2 figs and a tac.
    With his AA gun he rolled 3 ones and all my planes were shot down. Because it was an amphibious landing I had to go through with it. I didn’t had any coastal bombardments, because I only had two carriers and a couple of DD’s there.

In my first roll I scored one hit and he lost his inf, while he missed all. Then I scored two hits, removing his tank and tac. He rolled nothing. Eventually I killed everything and took India with one inf! It was very risky to begin with, but Japan was losing so I had to take some risks. After all my planes were destroyed I almost gave up.

Eventually I took out all of China and UK and after a long night of gaming I took NSW and won!

• I watched an invasion get thwarted from a player scoring 7 out of 10 hits with anti-aircraft. Oh that was rich for the reaction of the guy who lost all the planes…

• This happened a while back with the original A&A game, I (US) moved six infantry into western africa to help the UK player.  Germany had more than a fair share of tanks, fighters, and bombers.  My three infantry were attacked by 4 fighters and 2 bombers.  Only thing that could reach at the time.

First round, 100% losses for me, he rolled very well.  But his comments doomed him
    As I got ready to roll he said “so, how much is this going to cost me?”

I proceeded to roll 4 2s and 2 1s.  100% losses of fighters and bombers.
    Painful indeed when you consider the original costs for fighters were 12 and 15 for the bombers.

• Yeah, this one time playing the original A&A, Germany was defending against Russia.  Germany had 13 infantry and Russia had like 20+ units attacking.  When Germany rolled his defending dice, 11 out of the 13 were 1’s!  It was incredible!

• In AA Europe I once SBR’d with 6 bombers which were met by an AA gun that rolled six 1’s rolled all at once.

And its funny - for awhile after that I completely lost an appetite for doing SBRs - even though every part of my brain told me it was a total statistical fluke and to ignore it.  Funny how that happens!

I’ve experienced some other incredibly bad rolls/lopsided losses or victories - but that one still stands out clear as day in my mind.

• @Brain:

@RJL518:

i had 4 battlehips…3 tac bombers and 3 fighters attacking…all fives and sixes…not 1 hit

hey it happens

The only way to avoid this is to play another game like Chess

Or Advanced Civ, which doesn’t use dice. During an engagement, each side takes off one token (infantry).

• Low luck sounds a bit boring (no insult) because it makes the game a science. I love having Japan attack UK and loose 8 aircraft.

• @democratic:

Low luck sounds a bit boring (no insult) because it makes the game a science. I love having Japan attack UK and loose 8 aircraft.

Calculating the odds is smart, but it is no gaurantee for success.

• @Piazza2425:

Yeah, this one time playing the original A&A, Germany was defending against Russia.  Germany had 13 infantry and Russia had like 20+ units attacking.  When Germany rolled his defending dice, 11 out of the 13 were 1’s!  It was incredible!

That is pretty amazing.  The chances of rolling 11 or more - 1s or 2s in 13 dice is 0.0002126 out of 1.

The “par” result for rolling 13 dice needing 1s or 2s is 5 hits.

• In original AA, once had 1 transport  take out 2 fighters without loss. What was odd is the combat took like 6 rounds. 1st fighter wasnt killed until 4th round of combat. Thats a lot of misses from the fighters.

I remember I bought Risk for my 10 yr old son to try. He was doing really, reallly well his first game, then the dice turned against him for the first time.
    As the tears welled up in his eyes I thought about what I could say to comfort him. I thought back to all my 20+ years of gaming experience.
    All I could think of was: “I 'm sorry. I know it’s unfair, but you’re just going to have to get used to that.”

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m