Classic first round moves - how to kill allied advantage?

• Here are a few tips:

R1

Usually Russia attacks West Russia plus either Ukraine (3 inf 1 art, 2-3 arm, 2 ftrs) or Bielorussia. If you’re feeling lucky you might make Norway the target of your 2nd attack and prevent G from attack the UK BB.
    The RUssian inf are usually better on Caucasus to move against any retake by G of Ukraine.

G1

Always retake Ukraine if the Russians have conquered it. You’re giving them 3 IPCs for free and not getting them yourself for a total of 6 IPC loss. You should be trading Ukr/Kar/Bielo with the Russians, even better if manage to be trading WRussia with them.

UK1

The attack on New Guinea is risky but it is also one of the best moves for that fleet. If it succeeds it takes 1 IPC away from J.

Another good attack, if Egypt has not fallen to G (and if you’re not building an IC on India, which I don’t advise), is to go against Borneo with the transport and 2 inf, with the cruiser providing bombardement. Fighter can land on the US carrier or stay on middle east to take care of G med fleet or take out lone J transport (or you can send also the AC or the cruiser against it - but sink it!)

J

The main targets are China, retaking Borneo if it has fallen and the US fleet off Hawaii, along with protecting any purchased transports.

• You seem to have enough experience to know what’s going on because your UK moves are pretty standard. I like to attack French Indo but this is about Axis strategy.

I think the flaws here are too much naval purchases for G on round 1. The AC in the baltic is an ok move but if your allied oppenents are always going KGF then it’s a waste because you can’t keep up. An all land forces purchases, mainly INF with one or two pieces of hardware is never a bad idea. Nor is ten INF and a fig. The attack on the British Navy isn’t always the best move. Taking out the lone transport for free is a good one. It will divert that US destroyer from Africa most likely, and if it doesn’t, the G sub can still strike everywhere it wants to. I also like moving the subs out and getting them ready for a round two strike. The sub can also attack the cruiser so you don’t lose a plane.

I like to attack Egypt with 2 inf, 2 tanks, 2 fighters (my allied oppenents NEVER attack Ukraine and nor would I. Seems waaaay too risky. We usually just stack west russia and maybe take out the german baltic if we’re feeling lucky) and a bomber.

It’s Germany’s job to hold out for Japan, and the best way to do that is by buying tonnes of INF and securing Africa. Naval purchases can go in the Med, but putting them in the Baltic isn’t necessary.

As Japan, I prefer the transport build, 2 on round one with 2 destroyers. It’s more effecient that way.

• Thanks for the advice. You’re right, german fleet builds in the Baltic Sea sure looks like a bad move - it’s just too expensive.

But what about buying an extra transport for the Med in G1? It looks like a necessary purchase, if you want to defend Algeria and re-retake Egypt in G2 after a british counteroffensive in B1? And Stauffenberg, what vessel would you by to support that transport? A carrier?

Seems a&a '42 is all about the japanese getting to Moscow before the british and american get to Berlin? When you’re used to play A&A Europe, where the germans attack and expands in the first three turns, it’s hard to see them rolled back in this game, just waiting for the japanese aid.

• @Mannstein:

Thanks for the advice. You’re right, german fleet builds in the Baltic Sea sure looks like a bad move - it’s just too expensive.

But what about buying an extra transport for the Med in G1? It looks like a necessary purchase, if you want to defend Algeria and re-retake Egypt in G2 after a british counteroffensive in B1? And Stauffenberg, what vessel would you by to support that transport? A carrier?

Seems a&a '42 is all about the japanese getting to Moscow before the british and american get to Berlin? When you’re used to play A&A Europe, where the germans attack and expands in the first three turns, it’s hard to see them rolled back in this game, just waiting for the japanese aid.

I would buy nothing for Med on round one. There’s no point to defending Algeria. It’s only a buck. The goal is to get your tanks to gobble up the other IPCS in Africa. If the allies land on algeria, let them move up to Libya and destroy them with your INF and Art that you moved up round 1, plus a trans drop off, battleship hit and some planes. Or you could just let them chase you in Africa. If UK took Egypt round one, then just take it back. They probably only have a couple pieces there anway.

Another transport is a good idea for the med, because it also threatens Caucus and can move guys to the Ukraine front, if not in Africa. A carrier and destroyer should be enough to lock it up for a long time. I’d do it round two or round three if nothing is threatening it.

• So if you as Germany place a sub or some naval unit in the water next to Caucus does that mean that Russia can no longer place any sea going vessels there? Or any country at any space of land boarding water, can you effectively stop there navy by occupying the water around an IC?

• @Concealer:

So if you as Germany place a sub or some naval unit in the water next to Caucus does that mean that Russia can no longer place any sea going vessels there? Or any country at any space of land boarding water, can you effectively stop there navy by occupying the water around an IC?

No, you can still place your units even if the SZ has enemy ships. During the turn of the power that owns the ships he’ll have to either withdrawal or engage your ships.

• @Mannstein:

Thanks for the advice. You’re right, german fleet builds in the Baltic Sea sure looks like a bad move - it’s just too expensive.

If you are holding with G against the allies buy a few bombers or fighters during the first turns. It forces the allies to spend more on their fleets. A rule of thumb for the allies is that for every transport you need a DD in order to prevent air attacks. But don’t waste G’s airforce in risky or attacks with even odds, just having the airforce will make the allies to have to coordinate their fleets precisely, which can lead to mistakes on their part. Japanese bombers/fighters can also be used in this role.

Which is not surprising considering that AA42 is essentially the old Revised but with the new rules. But if you’re playing as Allies try going full Pacific with the US if G only buys planes and infantry on the first turn. It is a challenge but so far I think that the new rules give it better odds of succeding than in Revised.

• Col.Stauffenberg ,  so if I follow what your’re saying…is that the Axis for you do okay when G battles in Africa and they build up on the Eastern Front, but let Japan do the attacking of Japan?

I’m new at this, but I was thinking that the Axis need to eliminate Russia, before the US can get heavily envolved in Europe.  And I was wondering if that could happen faster if G and J both attacked Russia on every turn? Maybe Japan might be in position to be more aggrasive.

thanks for sharing your thoughts.

• @Cuyahoga:

Col.Stauffenberg ,  so if I follow what your’re saying…is that the Axis for you do okay when G battles in Africa and they build up on the Eastern Front, but let Japan do the attacking of Japan?

I’m new at this, but I was thinking that the Axis need to eliminate Russia, before the US can get heavily envolved in Europe.  And I was wondering if that could happen faster if G and J both attacked Russia on every turn? Maybe Japan might be in position to be more aggrasive.

thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Oh yeah, the Axis need to be attacking Russia from both sides all the time. But Germany always has to worry about defense. To do this, they need the African money. They keep trading the Eastern front, eventually exhausting Russia’s forces. In the new game, with defenseless transports, it takes the allies a lot longer to become an unbeatable presence in the Atlantic. The US can’t get heavily involved in Europe for at least 6 rounds, and if they weren’t doing anything against Japan, they’re going to be huge and already threatening Russia’s border. Africa is Germany’s lifeblood. Their Eastern front only needs to be a threat, until Japan is there. It’s more important to make survival your main priority.

• Just wondering: I didnt think you could put troops on a ship and off load on same turn? Or am I misunderstanding? Or is this a new rule, I have the 2007 version with no cruisers

@Derek77:

As far as Germany turn one is concerned, I think a lot of players use the battleship to kill the med destroyer and land 2 units in Egypt with the transport from Italy and kill Egypt turn one with one plane from Balkans and 2 units adjacent to Egypt.  The one game I didn’t do this, the allies made short work of me……  the med cruiser can be killed with just planes.

• @Malekith:

Just wondering: I didnt think you could put troops on a ship and off load on same turn? Or am I misunderstanding? Or is this a new rule, I have the 2007 version with no cruisers

@Derek77:

As far as Germany turn one is concerned, I think a lot of players use the battleship to kill the med destroyer and land 2 units in Egypt with the transport from Italy and kill Egypt turn one with one plane from Balkans and 2 units adjacent to Egypt.  The one game I didn’t do this, the allies made short work of me……  the med cruiser can be killed with just planes.

You could always do that.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m