• Wow. and I thought the old 4 10 shotgun I first fired kicked like a mule. I can only imagine. Soldiers back then had a lot to compensate for. I sitll hope to find an original 98k someday at a gun show or somewhere. That’s the ONE weapon I want to own the most.

• I have a Mosin-Nagant that has been stripped down to the bare rifle. It also has been shorten to an extremly short carbine. The gun has knocked one guy should out of socket and left an empression on everyone who has shot it.

I bought the 7.62 rifle for 80 bucks at a pawn shop. It’s a perfect gun for heading to the bottom lands tracking hogs.

• I got my sons two toy springfields 1903’s. They love them. We then had to get my Mauser out was do some holiday shooting.

• If we’re talking about Bolt actions,it would be the Springfield 1903,if we were talking about semi-automatics,it would be the M1 Grand.

• I think the bolt action rifle is the best looking type of rifle.

• I voted for “other”.   8-)

And if we are lucky Mr. Worsham will modify “other” to “Krag-Jorgensen”, which really deserves to be qualified for this poll, since the “Krag” is a superp smooth action rifle, and unlike the Springfield M1903 and the Lee-Enfield,  is a completely different design from the Mauser k98.

The Krag-Jorgensen was developed as a military rifle by the Danish Army from 1886 and adopted 1889. At that time the Krag-Jorgensen was by far the best rifle in the world. When this was clearly demonstrated in USA in 1892 it send shockwaves through the US military and industry.

The US military needed a modern bolt-action rifle and a competition were held in 1892 with trials at Governors Island, New York, were rifle designs from Krag, Lee, Mannlicher, Mauser, Schmidt-Rubin, and about 40 other military and civilian designs were compared.

Protests from US arms manufacturers and even a law-suit from US weapon designers, could not prevent the inevitable. Krag won the contract, and the United States formally adopted the rifle in 1892 to replace the single shot Springfield. From 1894–1904 around 500,000 ‘Krags’ were produced at the Springfield Armory in Massachusetts (a high number in those days), and the Krag was the U.S. military’s standard rifle from 1894 to 1903 when it was replaced by the M1903 Springfield rifle.

The Krag was the main US rifle during the Philippine-American War, as documented in a song popular with U.S. troops featuring the verse:

Damn, damn, damn the Filipinos!
    Cut throat khakiac ladrones!
    Underneath the starry flag,
    Civilize them with a Krag,
    And return us to our beloved home.

The Krag-Jorgensen continued to be developed and improved in the Danish and Norwegian armies and was still a main rifle during Operation Weserübung April 9, 1940. The Danish Krags were used in the decisive local Danish victory at the Battle of Amalienborg that very same morning (the Germans never made it through to the royal residence) and the Norwegian krags were in the following weeks used extensively by the Norwegians and many times to great effect.

Most notable is the battle of Hegra Fortress which went on from April 15 to May 5, 1940. Hegra Rifle Association has since 13 May 1962 held an annual shooting competition at the fortress. Commemorating the 1940 battle and of World War II in general, the competition is held on the Sunday closest to 8 May (VE Day).

Bring ya guns, ya’ll!  :-)

The wandering prize is the casing of a shell fired at the fortress in 1940.

The Krag-Jorgensen was also used by the Germans during WWII. After the Norwegian capitulation, the Wehrmacht paid great attention to the Krag, and subsequently the German forces forced Kongsberg Våpenfabrikk to produce weapons for the German armed forces and placed large orders for 40 mm anti-aircraft guns, Kongsberg-Colt pistols and the Krag-Jorgensen, but due to sabotage and deliberately slow work by the employees, production was limited and out of the total of 13,450 rifles ordered by the Germans, only between 3,350 and 3,800 were actually delivered.

Post-war rebarreled and re-stocked Krag-Jørgensen rifles were the standard Norwegian target rifle together with the Kongsberg-Mauser M59 and M67. The Krag was preferred for shooting on covered ranges and in fair weather, and dominated on the speed-shooting exercises due to its smooth action.

Today the Krag-Jorgensen is very popular among rifle collectors and can fetch huge prices for rare sub-types. It is also highly valued by shooters for its smooth action, and by enthusiasts in home-production of ammunition.

Original Danish Krag-Jørgensen 1889:
    Calibre:               8x58R (7.87 mm)
    Muzzle velocity:  580 m/s (early rounds) / 823 m/s (late rounds)
    Barrel length:     83.2 cm

Original Norwegian Krag-Jørgensen M1894:
    Calibre:               6.5x55 mm
    Muzzle velocity:  700 m/s (early rounds) / 870 m/s (late rounds)
    Barrel length:     76 cm

• @Col:

I voted for “other”.   8-)

And if we are lucky Mr. Worsham will modify “other” to “Krag-Jorgensen”, which really deserves to be qualified for this poll, since the “Krag” is a superp smooth action rifle, and unlike the Springfield M1903 and the Lee-Enfield,  is a completely different design from the Mauser k98.

The Krag-Jorgensen was developed as a military rifle by the Danish Army from 1886 and adopted 1889. At that time the Krag-Jorgensen was by far the best rifle in the world. When this was clearly demonstrated in USA in 1892 it send shockwaves through the US military and industry.

The US military needed a modern bolt-action rifle and a competition were held in 1892 with trials at Governors Island, New York, were rifle designs from Krag, Lee, Mannlicher, Mauser, Schmidt-Rubin, and about 40 other military and civilian designs were compared.

Protests from US arms manufacturers and even a law-suit from US weapon designers, could not prevent the inevitable. Krag won the contract, and the United States formally adopted the rifle in 1892 to replace the single shot Springfield. From 1894–1904 around 500,000 ‘Krags’ were produced at the Springfield Armory in Massachusetts (a high number in those days), and the Krag was the U.S. military’s standard rifle from 1894 to 1903 when it was replaced by the M1903 Springfield rifle.

The Krag was the main US rifle during the Philippine-American War, as documented in a song popular with U.S. troops featuring the verse:

Damn, damn, damn the Filipinos!
    Cut throat khakiac ladrones!
    Underneath the starry flag,
    Civilize them with a Krag,
    And return us to our beloved home.

The Krag-Jorgensen continued to be developed and improved in the Danish and Norwegian armies and was still a main rifle during Operation Weserübung April 9, 1940. The Danish Krags were used in the decisive local Danish victory at the Battle of Amalienborg that very same morning (the Germans never made it through to the royal residence) and the Norwegian krags were in the following weeks used extensively by the Norwegians and many times to great effect.

Most notable is the battle of Hegra Fortress which went on from April 15 to May 5, 1940. Hegra Rifle Association has since 13 May 1962 held an annual shooting competition at the fortress. Commemorating the 1940 battle and of World War II in general, the competition is held on the Sunday closest to 8 May (VE Day).

Bring ya guns, ya’ll!  :-)

The wandering prize is the casing of a shell fired at the fortress in 1940.

The Krag-Jorgensen was also used by the Germans during WWII. After the Norwegian capitulation, the Wehrmacht paid great attention to the Krag, and subsequently the German forces forced Kongsberg Våpenfabrikk to produce weapons for the German armed forces and placed large orders for 40 mm anti-aircraft guns, Kongsberg-Colt pistols and the Krag-Jorgensen, but due to sabotage and deliberately slow work by the employees, production was limited and out of the total of 13,450 rifles ordered by the Germans, only between 3,350 and 3,800 were actually delivered.

Post-war rebarreled and re-stocked Krag-Jørgensen rifles were the standard Norwegian target rifle together with the Kongsberg-Mauser M59 and M67. The Krag was preferred for shooting on covered ranges and in fair weather, and dominated on the speed-shooting exercises due to its smooth action.

Today the Krag-Jorgensen is very popular among rifle collectors and can fetch huge prices for rare sub-types. It is also highly valued by shooters for its smooth action, and by enthusiasts in home-production of ammunition.

Original Danish Krag-Jørgensen 1889:
    Calibre:               8x58R (7.87 mm)
    Muzzle velocity:  580 m/s (early rounds) / 823 m/s (late rounds)
    Barrel length:     83.2 cm

Original Norwegian Krag-Jørgensen M1894:
    Calibre:               6.5x55 mm
    Muzzle velocity:  700 m/s (early rounds) / 870 m/s (late rounds)
    Barrel length:     76 cm

I enjoyed your post Col Cool. It’s very informitive.

• Cheers!  :-)

• I decided to do some research in Call of Duty: World At War and conclude that Mosin-Nagant is now my favorite.  K98 is not far behind, and Arisaka easily takes the bronze.

But there are only 5 bolt action rifles on there, so in no way is this research conclusive.  :mrgreen:

• M 1903-A3

Smooth.  Solid to hold.  Kick like beast.  Second shot follow first even with kick.  Hold up to abuse while on march.

• Loved your post col cool.

• Loved your post col cool.

Thanx.

For further reading there’s a super great online article with all about the Norwegian M1894 Krag-Jorgensen Rifle (weapon of the month) at cruffler.com. With good pictures.

http://www.cruffler.com/historic-october01.html

Wiki on the battle of Hegra Fortress:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Hegra_Fortress

• That very good story.  I not know of this before you post link.  Thank you.

• Lee-Enfield

I own a Swedish Mauser 7mm

I love it, and it kicks like a Mule.

Beware Beer Cans in the Pale Moonlight. :evil:

• I’m planning on buying a K98 M48 next chance I get, my friend has two K98’s one is a M48 the other was from his grandfather

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m