• When exactly do you reveal your cards/Army to the opponent?

Basic rules state:

Build army

Select a map

Placement ( I think it is here.  Am I correct?)

Axis Fan

• Any time after the army is built but before deployment is fine, I think.  I usually play that we reveal as soon as we’re both done building our armies.

• '19 Moderator

That sounds about right to me…

• Thanks !!

• @Vinius:

Any time after the army is built but before deployment is fine, I think.  I usually play that we reveal as soon as we’re both done building our armies.

Same here.  As long as neither side has the option to change their build after analyzing their enemy’s army, then it should be OK.

• If at all possible it adds an extra twist if you can both make your deployments without seeing the others build.  Then only once you’re on the ground will your intelligence firm up enough to understand the opponent you have.

• I’m definitely doing that the next time I play - maybe set up a crude barrier between the setup areas, and remove it when deployment is final.  Good call!

• I like that idea Audacity!  We’ll have to give that a try.

• I’m going to do that as well.  A risk box cover should do the trick or cardboard.  I suspect that you will see a slight defensive posture to begin with from everyone.

Axis fan

• '19 Moderator

Unless he thinks I will be defencive, but if he realises I think he’s thinking I’m thinking defencive he might set up an ambush thinking I’m thinking offencive.  Unless he’s thinking that I’m thinking that he’s thinking I’m thinking offence, then I should start thinking about what he’s thinking I’m thinking about for an attack.

Hmmm I need to think about this some more…

• When you set up a game in this manner you need to look at the ground in more detail.  What cover, obstacles and distances are there to use or overcome. During my junior officer training days we learned to use COPPED to make basic assesments of the situation.  The neumonic can be applied to the game board too.  Think it through!

C = Cover for you and the bad guys, (what hexes are good to control)
    O = Obstacles (rivers,swamps, hills - for some vehicles,etc) Select your lines of advance before you start moving
    P = Positions of fire (how to use the ranges best) Remember to site weapons in pairs
    P = Positions of observation (which in gaming comes from our birds eye view of the whole scenario)
    E = Enemy, what is it you expect them to do and how does that influence your tactics
    D = Distance = time, if I plan to flank do I have the number of turns required to make the moves or do I charge in

War gaming can be used to train the military mind.

What is the Aim?
    What good and bad factors will affect the battle?
    What courses of action do I have?
    What is my plan?

Do this for each turn of the game and see if your results improve!

• @dezrtfish:

Unless he thinks I will be defencive, but if he realises I think he’s thinking I’m thinking defencive he might set up an ambush thinking I’m thinking offencive.  Unless he’s thinking that I’m thinking that he’s thinking I’m thinking offence, then I should start thinking about what he’s thinking I’m thinking about for an attack.

Hmmm I need to think about this some more…

Uhhh… that’s the ticket!  (A certain scene from the Princess Bride comes to mind…)

• '19 Moderator

LOL… Vizzini "You only think I guessed wrong! That’s what’s so funny! I switched glasses when your back was turned! Ha ha! You fool! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Asia, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a Sicilian when death is on the line! Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! Ha ha ha… " Vizzini’s last words

• Build Army
    Roll Map
    Reveal Units
    Place units

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m