• I am relatively new at the whole miniatures game but am quickly coming up with ways to replay speciific sea battles. My latest interest are carrier battles (ie Coral Sea…Midway ect). The Key to these battles was detection and or surprise. I am curious to know if anyone else has their own house rules to go about this. I was thinking that since each major ship carried scout planes that the board could be divided into a number of sectors. Each one has a die rolled for it. This is where a little variation can come into play. Depending on how many scouts you have (determined by number of large ships) you can increase your chances of detection, or just set it at something like 50/50 chance with the dice (ex: 3,4, or 5 equals detection of all ships in that sector). Once you detect ships (whic occures after the movent phase) you send out the planes and play as normal. If you failed at the detection phase you can not attack the ships in the failed sector. Also, if you have enemy ships within 4 spaces of one another that could equal detection by sight. Any thought or other ideas?

• I lie the idea that ones air recce can go out and not be succesful.  As you suggest, line of site occurs at 4 grid squares.  This may be a place where air recce is sent out on predetermined missions and the umpire compares missions to enemy missions or fleet movements to determine in contact is possible.  Roll a die for each grid the air recce has entered regaurdeless of whether the umpire determines if contact is possible.  and if the umpire says contact is possible it will only be revealed after the role.  Then set up the sea battle.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m