• Back to your original post question:

who should I contact?

If you are really offended, I would start with your manager, or with his manager.  I find it is always best to work within the system first.  It could be that your management did not know the trooper would have the dog sniff the cars in the parking lot.

In addition to your feelings about your car being searched without your consent, there are lots of other issues here you could bring up to management.  Certainly, the possibility of drug addicts among your fellow workers would be reason to be concerned about your personal safety as just one example.

• the more gridlock you have, the less damage that the government can do!

Damn straight James Madison!

• @Chengora:

Hmm…for your original question, I’m not entirely certain that they can do that.  My guess is they probably can, but involving the police might mean that they have to publicize what they do to the company employees, even if it’s something like “we conduct random screenings of cars.”

Actually, precedent and statute are clear here already…  as little as 1 sign posted, or one entry in an employee policy manual or employment contract is all it takes.

The usual is “All persons and vehicles entering the premises are subject to search”

• Precisely, and unfortunately.  Although there might be some question as to whether a sign posted, say, inside a building, can apply to the parking lot.  And your acceptance of the procedure initially can be construed as implied consent.  But, if you think you can plausibly argue that the company didn’t have any signs or anything, then maybe you have a case.  But unfortunately, it’s doubtful.  Sorry I couldn’t be of any more assistance.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m