• Right on! Who needs battleships (U.S.) when you can buy a huge fleet of subs coupled with air power. Let the Japs split up their fleet instead dealing with the U.S. Mixing an occasional U.S. destroyer is also nice for countering Jap sub purchases.

The only important point in the Pacific Game boils down to holding India, while avoiding getting caught napping in Australia, and simultaneously wreaking havoc with subs throughout the Japanese convey lands and captured islands. Everything else in the game is just well seasoned gravy.

-“Pity not the nation that has no heros, but instead the nation that needs heros.”

• I didn’t say that you should split your fleet up and take lots of small battles. You just have to pass through a single CAP or a few subs the japs has put to slow your main fleet and the BB comes out as a good buy ie. it only has to repair once before its better than anything u would have left from a 24 point buy in a fleet with no BB.
    I agree lots of subs might be a better buy if you simply know Japan is going for India. they wont do much good for the battle in India, but they will insure that the japs are dead if they loose the battle due to bad luck. However if u play a 22 point wins game i still believe it is better for Japan to go for the points simply because they can lose India if they get unlucky with the AA and has a bad first round.
    Also japan don’t have to decide if it goes after India untill turn 2 or 3 its first buy and if US buys all subs i would go after a vp victory.

• If 2 DDs are better then 1 BB then 3 Subs are better than 2 DDs. Of course you lose the amphib bombardment and the ability of DDs to allow air units to attack subs.

You did mention in small battles BBs are better, I agree. But why would you use your combined fleet to attack a 1 or 2 unit enemy navy? If you don’t use your entire navy to attack a small enemy navy then you do split up your fleet. So what is it, no fleet split and waste your entire fleet on a small battle or do you do multiple attacks and split your navy, which one is it?

As the Jap player I’d love you to waste your time doing that. In fact as the Jap player I spend 80% or so of my IPCs in building subs.

Anybody who actually builds a battleship is crazy. The point of this thread is to show that 24 IPC is much better spent elsewhere then purchasing a BB. The only person who can afford to build a BB is the US. Since the US is building 70 IPC/turn of equipment it doesn’t seem to make sense to plan your builds in such a way as to save 8 or 12 IPC on a meaningless small fleet engagement.

In large battles that go a few rounds a battleship actually hurts. Sure, they absorb 1 hit but at the cost of lost firepower. 2 destroyers do 50% more damage then 1 BB.

You’re band on about Japan A) needing to go for Victory points because a good allied player can fend off the India attack and B) not having to decide until turn 2-3. That means the allies might have to split the convoy money 50/50 and splitting their forces up.

Phoenix is right that the allies must use subs to wreak havoc with the convoy routes and the odd destroyer to allow allied air to attack subs.

BB

• Big Blocky - If you are ever in AZ, my gaming group would love to challange your Japan massed fleet strategy against my sub tactics in A&A Pacific. You seem to have the best grasp of the Pacific game from the comments I’ve seen. - Regards

• AZ… Arizona? Ummmm, getting into the US of A is not possible, I was a bit wild in my youth. A pity since my sister has lived in various states for 20 years or so.

Is there a version of dicey for AAP? I’d love to play via email!

As for my massed fleet, don’t get me wrong, I will use subs and transports if required as blockers or as bait. I go for VPs but do provide a credible, but not all out threat against both australia and India to keep you honest and force purchases of land units. The key is to keep the Yanks parked at Pearl Harbour for as long as possible. The Jap has the advantage because they can use 15 fighters and 2 bombers on offense, have lots of transports and BBs to soak up hits and an ever increasing number of cheap subs. The yanks must put carriers under their fighters on defense, for 15 fighters that is lots of carriers to build!

BB

• BB it is possible to play A&AP in line. You just have to register to A&AP&E
    gaming site and you can play. I started a game of A&AE awhile back with a guy from the, didn’t finnish ( he was kicking my booty anyway) but, hey, it can be done.

• Can you post the addy?

BB

• Sorry if i was little overconfident about having a BB with your (US) main fleet.
    I totally agree with you that A) US should never send their entire main fleet after one or two jap units simply to wipe them out B) BB’s will be outmatched by 2 destroyers in (nearly) every single possible battle and worse than 3 subs in every battle against enemy ships. I also tended to go for lots of subs and a destroyer or two plus carriers w. fighters to suply the main firepower. However the jap player also (as You) tended to use about 80% of his buys for subs which he would then send out to block my path to japan, the southwest pacific or whatever. Therefore i often had to sail into (small) battles, simply because the jap had put subs, CAP’s or whatever out there to slow me down. In adition to slowing me down (which can be fatal but is hard to avoid if they’re placed right) they also tended to cause a hit. In that situation i think a single bb is good because it can absorb the hit and save a sub or destroyer. So in the next turn when our bigfleets meet i have my 1 bb instead of one des or 2 subs out of a 24 point buy (and i think u will agree the bb i better than both).
    You are totally right that US should try to avoid minor battles if they slow them down but in my expierience its just not always posible and then a bb is worthwhile to have with your main fleet.

• I’ve never used a CAP to slow down the Yank player, mind you I have considered it, but in each case it never worked out. The fighter on CAP must start out beside the sea zone to CAP in. That can only seem to work on retreat. The only reason for the Jap to retreat is if A) The Allied navy is within 2 spaces of the combined Jap Fleet B) Can withstand an attacking force of about 80-90 offense (13-15 hits on the first round and about the same on the second round since the japs could absorb 7-8 hits without affecting the offensive firepower). Even if the Japs roll a bit below average, look at your best fleet, add up the defense say 60, great you do ten hits to the Jap attacking force. 3 BBs, 5 transports absorbs 7 hits, I take of 3 subs. I just killed 13 of your pieces, what do you have left? I still have 14 fighters, 3 BBs, 2 Bmrs and say 4 DDs. I’m doing another 12 hits. It would be bloody but if the odds are in my favour and the dice are even then I buy lots of time. If the odds are against me I retreat.

BB

• The yanks must put carriers under their fighters on defense, for 15 fighters that is lots of carriers to build!

If the Americans use CAP then they can have a whole lot more fighters defending than that of their carrier strength alone.

I’ve never used a CAP to slow down the Yank player, mind you I have considered it, but in each case it never worked out. The fighter on CAP must start out beside the sea zone to CAP in. That can only seem to work on retreat.

I’m not sure I understand the “only on retreat thing”. You can prevent a fleet of any size from moving 2 spaces with only one fighter CAP. I think its a good thing to do.

The key is to keep the Yanks parked at Pearl Harbour for as long as possible.

I’d like to see how you do this. I mean that sincerely.

Depending on Japan’s “surpise” attacks from the first round the Americans can replace almost everything they lose at Pearl on their first turn. After the first round, the American Navy is a match for anything the Japs have and is just gets worse, for Japan, as the rounds go by.

With the money the US makes they can afford to throw their units at the Jap navy again and again replacing a huge part of it the very next turn. Japan dosen’t have that luxury.

• If the Americans use CAP then they can have a whole lot more fighters defending than that of their carrier strength alone.

While this is true, it’s only true if the fighters start off next to the fleet. If you ever intend to move you must move up, capture an island. Hope I don’t attack. Next round fly your fighters to the island. Hope I don’t attack that round too. Then the following turn you can CAP.

I’m not sure I understand the “only on retreat thing”. You can prevent a fleet of any size from moving 2 spaces with only one fighter CAP. I think its a good thing to do.

I’m sure you understand this but, you cannot fly a plane out 2 spaces and CAP. If you are moving forward then any plane on a CAP is left behind, not very usefull. You can CAP all day long at Pearl Harbout but sooner or later you must move up and you cannot cap in the spot you just moved into.

This means you move up 2 sea zones (unless I block you then it’s 1 zone per round unless the brits are there to kick the blocker out.) every 3 turns. That first round and the following round you move up, you only have twice as many fighters on defence as you have carriers.

The Japs on the other hand with their 4 carriers and ownership of island with airbases have the ability to attack with all 15 fighters and 2 bombers. Obviously US bombers aren’t much good for fleet defence. It takes a long long time for the Yank to build a fleet capable of moving up beside the combined Jap fleet and daring it to attack. This takes until round 4-5 at least.

As the Jap pulls back at this point he gets stronger as his 4-5 new subs per round get closer and closer. Moving them 3 spaces port to port helps big time. If you get too close, the Jap has six 1 in 3 chances of kamikazing your carriers. Since the Jap can Kamikazi an allied carrier on the allies turn when it moves into the marked sea zones the fighters will not be defending when it’s the Jap players turn to attack. If you come in with 3 carriers then all 3 get 1 each. On average 1 carrier is sunk, the fighters might be able to land but won’t be defending. That is a loss of 11 rather critical defence.

BB

• I’m sure you understand this but, you cannot fly a plane out 2 spaces and CAP.

I worded that badly. I meant to say that as Japan CAPing fighters prevents any amount of US ships from moving 2 spaces. They (US ships) move one zone and then they are stopped by a CAP fighter. Delaying them as much as possible. I think we both understand this.

and you cannot cap in the spot you just moved into.

I belive you can so long as the ships are adjacent to a figther that has not moved that round.
    Eg: you move your American fleet from Hawaii to Wake. Wake has a fighter on it that hasn’t moved yet. You may CAP with that fighter.

it takes a long long time for the Yank to build a fleet capable of moving up beside the combined Jap fleet and daring it to attack.

Again, I would say that American has the ability to “sacrifice” its units against the Japs. Its not a huge deal for American, however anything Japan loses is critical and chances are it won’t be replaced.
    Not to say that this is the best American strategy, but I would attack a superior Japanese Navy, if for no other reason than to destroy irreplaceable Japanese pieces.

On average 1 carrier is sunk, the fighters might be able to land but won’t be defending.

If my carriers are close enough to Japan to have to worry about Kamikaze , then I’m making sure that I have a island in the same sea zone as my fleet so any carrier that is lost from a Kamikaze hit will have a place for it’s fighters to land. That way I can still CAP with them the next chance I get, if the need is there.

• Although battleships are great to have, they are way out of Japan’s reach. The destroyer is more bang for your buck. Plus, Japan can transport one infantry on their destroyers, a critical advantage for the island nation. The entire game hinges on the ability of the Japanese player to rapidly transport troops and expand the empire. The rest of the navy is really just providing support and keeping the allies off of the army’s back.

Battleships are great for the US, however, I perfer fighters. Fighters cost less they have longer range and are more versitile. Fighters can be sent against naval or land units. Although Battleships can support assults with their bommbardment, that is a one time attack. The fighter can attack with each wave. Fighters can also be used on CAP, an advantage that allows any player to erect barriers and protect territory. With enough fighters, you can control the seas without a navy (although i wouldn’t recomend it).

To sum it all up, I think that destroyers are the best buy for Japan, and that fighters (and maybe a carrier to land on) are the best buy for the US navy.

Gen. A.J. Williams

“It is good that war is so terrible, or else we would grow to fond of it.”
    –Robert E. Lee
    Fredricksburg, VA 1862–

• Quote:
    and you cannot cap in the spot you just moved into.

I belive you can so long as the ships are adjacent to a figther that has not moved that round.
    Eg: you move your American fleet from Hawaii to Wake. Wake has a fighter on it that hasn’t moved yet. You may CAP with that fighter.

Yes, technically on the first round if you want to move your navy into Wake (the navy that you don’t have anymore as it was sunk at Pearl Harbour) then yes technicall that fighter could Cap.

You are missing the point however. The Jap navy is sitting HUGE in Caroline Island. It consists of 3 BBs, 4 CVs, 8 FTRs, 4 DDs, 4 SUBs and 4 TRNs. I also have say 6 FTRs and 2 BMRs. That is 86 Offense and after taking 7 casualities is STILL 86 Offense. I can hit anything 2 Sea Zones Away. The US navy is in Pearl Harbour 3 spaces away and you can sit there all day long.

How do you move up? Do you land 8 fighters on Wake so that next turn those fighters can CAP and the navy can move in? You are counting on me not landing in Wake and crusing your airforce then.

You tell me how the US navy pushes the Jap Navy of Caroline Island before the end of the US players fourth turn? If the US player does his fourth turn with his navy still at Pearl Harbour the game is over. The Jap player does his 5th turn and has 18 or 19 Vps. All Japan has to do now is trade her entire navy for 1 or 2 turns to get 3 or 4 VPs.

The US navy should really never CAP. You will NEVER win if you don’t move forward. If you move forward then your CAP is 2 sea zones behind the US navy, not very usefull when defending agaisnt a crushing japanese blow.

The US should build enough carriers to put under their existing fighters. They should build mostly subs. They need to time out when they move up. If you move up the combined US fleet then your builds should be mostly air units unless you only plan to move 3 spaces to a naval port in 2 rounds, then build 1 more round of subs then air power so it can get into the battle. DON’T build much if any land units or transports. JOB #1 of the allies is to get to the convoy routes and deny Japan VPs.

BB

• Okay, I’m gonna do my own little analysis of Battleships versus destroyers. :D No doubt there are advantages of both, such as having 2 ships means you can can cover more territory.

First off, Battleships are expensive, but they need to be. They’re just too damn good. That’s why as Japan you must treat them as gold. Cuz you won’t be buying any future ones most likely.

Now, many of you are comparing 2 destroyers to 1 battleship during a combat situation, and saying that the two are equal because you get 2 rolls. BUT, this theory is flawed in that you have to look at the attack strangths over a number of turns, not just one. Attack strength combined with casualty number is the important thing. Obviously 1 Battleship is better than 1 destroyer, but it’s in many ways better.

Let’s use the following comparison and assume 1 casualty per round.: 2 destroyers and 1 transport defending versus 1 Battleship and 1 transport defending.

ROUND 1

Each group has an more or less equal probability of scoring hits. So no difference there.

ROUND 2

Now, the transport is gone for the destroyer group, but the battleship’s transport remains(casualty assigned to BS).

ROUND 3

Now it’s one destroyer left and one BS left. Obviously each group can no longer afford a casualty. BUT, the BS has a better chance of dishing out one. Now assume both survive this round. The BS is then repaired and is FAR superior to the remaining destroyer in both offensive and defensive situations.

Don’t get me wrong, the destroyer is a great ship. But IMHO, Japan has the biggest reason to use them: low income and the ability for Japanese destroyers to transport 1 infantry. The USA makes too much not to gain the advantage of long term fighting and amphibious advantages. Also, I prefer to invest in fighters, rather than destroyers. If you have carrier space, there’s not point to destroyers. Fighters are WAY more useful, and defend better.

• The odds are NOT equal between the two groups for scoring a hit. Two destroyers are 50% more powerfull then 1 battleship. Therefore round #2 is much less likely to occur for the destoyer example as they have already won.

As for battles where you only expect to take 1 naval casualty. Yes, there a battleship has an advantage I will admit. Stick to battles like that and you will win a few battles and lose the war.

BB

• 2 destroyers are NOT 50% more powerful than a Battleship.

They only have less than a 9% higher change of getting 1 hit than a battleship does.

Battleship: 66.6%
    2 Destroyers: 75%

• I like both,I always have 2 Task Forces in the game.1:3 carriers,(with 6 fighters),2-3 battleships for hits,5-8 destroyers for defence,3-6 subs for quick attacks.
    2:4-6 transports,(with an even number of marines and artilery,)3-4 battleships for bombardment and deffence,4-6 destroyers for anti-submarines and cover,and sometimes 1-2 carriers(with fighters)if the main fleet is far enough away.I usually have this force sailing for the Philipines(SP?)by turn 5-6 in a whole,or in big peaces by turn 3-4.

• I have played a lot of A&AP and I’m normally the good ole USA. 5 Bombers is a great U1 purchase. Battleships in my opinion cost too much and you don’t have time to use them. Aircraft Carrier, 2 Fighters, Destroyer, and a sub on U2 and U3. To keep Japan from VP win you have to SBR Japan and Big Boats don’t help you there. Once you take land in range of SBR you don’t need boats but always good to have a couple subs to sub stall. I’ll be playing 3 games tomorrow and I bet I have played 40+ games of this version.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m