NA Power Blackout Toronto/Detroit/Cleveland/NYC…

• Heard it started in Toronto or upstate NY.
    Will take hours to get the power grid back up.
    Drink plenty of water.

Anybody affected in New Jersey, Connecticut, Canada, etc.?

• I’m watching it on the news right now…

• I hope the people of North East Coast are okay right now. :cry:

• Geezz… what was the the cause of this?

• Teem,
    you are related to Teej, right? I seem to recall seeing a few of your posts while cruising the fora.

Welcome back!

• Im in NJ, my power was out for roughly 5 hours. Supposedly, it was caused by a lightning strike, but it has yet to be confirmed. Various areas, including my own obviously, have come back online, but the majority are still out.

• Teem,
    you are related to Teej, right? I seem to recall seeing a few of your posts while cruising the fora.

Correctomundo.

• @El:

Heard it started in Toronto or upstate NY.
    Will take hours to get the power grid back up.
    Drink plenty of water.

Anybody affected in New Jersey, Connecticut, Canada, etc.?

I had no power for over 16 hours! Mayor Bloomberg was quick to blame Canada when it all started but the cause was a lightning strike on an AMERICAN facility in New York. You really need to take better care of your side of Niagara Falls. It was not fun to see major intersections as all-way stops. For a city of roughly 3 million people, things went rather smoothly but there were people stuck in the subways here. Downtown Toronto is still having power troubles and the water pumps down there aren’t working properly. There are huge lines at gas stations, most of which can’t sell gas but where I live everything is better.

• Emu,
    Sorry but the recordings of weather tracking systems in the US(and I’ll bet Canada uses the same system[mutual benefit]) showed there were NO lightning strikes shown in the affected region prior to or at the time of the blackout. Saw it on at least one network, but couldn’t say which(channelsurfing, doncha know.)

So we have a Blackout reaching from SE Canada(Ontario mostly), US Midwest(S Michigan, N Ohio) and NE US(parts of NY, NJ, CT, NH and MA.)

Who does the news media got to for information? Bill Richardson, the former Secretary of Energy for the now defunct Clinton Administration! And what, pray tell, does he say? "Our energy system is Third World(or third rate or third class). He stated he traveled while SecEn and saw the condition of our energy production/transmission systems.

Hillary came out overnight and criticized the Bush Administration for the August, 2003 energy blackout.

Excuuuuuuuuuse yourself! Who and what previous US administration had eight(count 'em, 8) years to see, plan and do something about the US energy distribution system?

• @El:

So we have a Blackout reaching from SE Canada(Ontario mostly), US Midwest(S Michigan, N Ohio) and NE US(parts of NY, NJ, CT, NH and MA.)

Who does the news media got to for information? Bill Richardson, the former Secretary of Energy for the now defunct Clinton Administration! And what, pray tell, does he say? "Our energy system is Third World(or third rate or third class). He stated he traveled while SecEn and saw the condition of our energy production/transmission systems.

Hillary came out overnight and criticized the Bush Administration for the August, 2003 energy blackout.

Excuuuuuuuuuse yourself! Who and what previous US administration had eight(count 'em, 8) years to see, plan and do something about the US energy distribution system?

the last big blackout was in 1995 if I recall correctly. So it’s 5 years and not 8. Just because the Clinton Administration did not act, that does not excuse the Bush Administration for not acting to improve the system.

• Nyet, Emu! The time of the last blackout is inconsequential. A competent administration would be able to look at what was there and see that things need to be done. Well, that explains it.

The last blackout was 1996.

The big blackouts were in 1965, 1977(?), 1996 and 2003. One of the earlier ones was almost a duplicate of this one, but I’m not sure which one.

THE GW Bush Administration has acted where asked. California governor Grayout Davis’ administration has asked the Bush Administration for authorization to build more power plants. Permission was granted to the objection of every liberal environmentalist west of the Rockies. These are the first power plants built in California in more than 20 years!

Radical environmentalists have fought and stopped the building of power plants in the US since the Ronald Reagan was president(1981.) Almost no power plants have been built in the last 20 years, but our energy use has doubled. It’s a strain on the system.

• @El:

Nyet, Emu! The time of the last blackout is inconsequential. A competent administration would be able to look at what was there and see that things need to be done. Well, that explains it.

The last blackout was 1996.

The big blackouts were in 1965, 1977(?), 1996 and 2003. One of the earlier ones was almost a duplicate of this one, but I’m not sure which one.

It’s funny that you are calling the Clinton Administration incompetent. Last I remember, the 1990s were good times. The economy was good, unlike now with the “wonderful” Bush at the helm of the United States.

• here in New England was affected for about 30 min. and then everthing was fine…

• whether or not Bush is incompetent is inconsequential as to whether or not Clinton was.

• @Janus1:

whether or not Bush is incompetent is inconsequential as to whether or not Clinton was.

Actually, is it consequential as El Jefe was calling Clinton incompetent in his defence of Bush.

• well, ill call clinton incompetent now, and its not in defense of bush

• LOL, that’s funny Janus. :P

EmuGod, the fact of the matter is that Hillary should keep her fat piehole shut when it comes to criticizing the President on matters they did nothing more to improve upon. Besides, Bush could absolutely bury that family politically if he ever leaked the truth about what happened during that administration, but it’s too bad he already said he wouldn’t.

If anyone watched Bill O’Reilly during the outages yesterday, he had one guest who was very interesting. Who said that outages like she’s should never happen because so much infastructure has been put into place to prevent exactly this kind of occurence. I too, find it hard to believe that more than 3 states can all lose power as a result of one plant! :o

• THE GW Bush Administration has acted where asked. California governor Grayout Davis’ administration has asked the Bush Administration for authorization to build more power plants. Permission was granted to the objection of every liberal environmentalist west of the Rockies. These are the first power plants built in California in more than 20 years!

Yes, GD build so many new power plants that we are losing excess energy every day and millions every year…

• Emu_,
    When you learn your history as well as Yanny has after being educated(read as “assaulted”) by Xi(and then again by moi) we can discuss this topic logically.

El Jefe’s notes : Ronald Reagan passed the largest tax cut in US history(1776-2003) in 1981(with the people’s approval, but the grudging support of a Democrat House and Senate.) The Reagan economic boom lasted from 1982 until 1998. There was a minor recesssion(1991-1992) during the GHW Bush Administration, however it was ending(Oct., 1992), before the election, but too late for the #s to get out, even while William Jefferson Blythe Clinton carped “It’s the economy, stupid!”(Great presidental words!)

President Clinton’s administration did little to nothing to help the economy(which actually was helpful.) President William Jefferson Blythe Clinton passed the largest tax increase in US history(1776-2003) in 1993(with the people’s disapproval, but the gleeful support of a Democrat House and Senate.)

From before 1998 to today the defunct Clinton Administration has claimed that the economy was great until after “Slick Willie”(You know what a ‘willie’ is doncha? You know why Clinton’s is ‘slick’ doncha? Just another indication of his character…) left office.

In 2000, during the election campaign, economists examining the Clinton-touted economy numbers found and published proof that President William Jefferson Blythe Clinton and his administration had fudged the numbers since 1998. The economy had been going sour since the third quarter of 1998. Slick Willie and his administration lied about the US economy for the last two years of Clinton’s service “to protect and defend the constitution of he United States.”

• @TG:

Yes, GD build so many new power plants that we are losing excess energy every day and millions every year…

Who ya gonna _re_call?

GRAY DAVIS!

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m