• Does the movement capacity of 6 apply to bombers during Strategic bombing raids?

If one submarine attacks one cruiser and fires on the ‘surprise fire’ and misses is there any other type of subsequent combat between them or the only option for the sub is to retreat?

If one sub and a cruiser attack a battleship, the sub fire on ‘surprise’ and hits, the cruiser misses, and the defending battleship hits. Can I choose between the sub or the cruiser to take the hit?

thank you

• @vrugas:

Does the movement capacity of 6 apply to bombers during Strategic bombing raids?

If one submarine attacks one cruiser and fires on the ‘surprise fire’ and misses is there any other type of subsequent combat between them or the only option for the sub is to retreat?

If one sub and a cruiser attack a battleship, the sub fire on ‘surprise’ and hits, the cruiser misses, and the defending battleship hits. Can I choose between the sub or the cruiser to take the hit?

thank you

Yes during a bombing raid the movement still does apply
    Well he can stay and maybe die or yes retreat

I do not know the last one sorry

• Official Q&A

Welcome, Vrugas!

@vrugas:

Does the movement capacity of 6 apply to bombers during Strategic bombing raids?

Yes.

@vrugas:

The cruiser will fire back.  If it misses, the sub will have the option to continue combat, submerge, or retreat.  This will continue until one ship is sunk or the sub submerges or retreats.

@vrugas:

Yes, either will do.

• thank yall very much!

im really new to the game, and regarding the second question i’m still confused. the rulebook says on page 17: “SPECIFIC TO SEA BATTLES: submarines that fired on ‘surprise strike’ cannot fire again during the same combat round”
    so, what should I do in this case? stay with Krieghund’s answer?

@Krieghund:

@vrugas:

The cruiser will fire back.  If it misses, the sub will have the option to continue combat, submerge, or retreat.  This will continue until one ship is sunk or the sub submerges or retreats.

thanks again

• Official Q&A

A combat round consists of both sides firing at each other.  A battle is made up of one or more combat rounds.  The sub firing and then the cruiser firing back is one round.  Assuming both survive that round, the sub, being the attacker, then has the option of fighting another round or retreating.

Normally, fire in a round is effectively simultaneous.  The attacker actually rolls first, and the defender chooses casualties.  However, when the defender then returns fire, even the units that were hit get to fire, as all units are considered to fire at the same time.  The sub Surprise Strike ability simply allow subs to fire first, before anything else.  This means that if they sink their target it doesn’t get to fire back.  The rule you referenced indicates that a sub that gets a Surprise Strike (fires first) doesn’t get to fire again in the same round when everything else fires.  In the next round, it’s free to fire again.

In your example, the sub fires first, its casualty (if any) is removed, then everything else that survives gets to fire.  In this case, “everything else” is just the defending cruiser.  After the cruiser fires, the round is over, and the attacker chooses whether or not to continue the battle with another combat round.

• Thank you again, Krieghund!
    I had the wrong meaning of ‘combat round’, now everything makes perfect sense.
    Great job!

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m