• this is an up and coming issue in Winnipeg - smoking in public places. Recently in Kenora (town of 16 000 in Winter, over 100 000 in Summer) banned public smoking:

As of Jan. 1, smoking will be illegal in all public places and private businesses. Fines for breaking the rules range from $5 to $25,000 a day.
    The move comes after the Medical Health Officer for Northwestern Ontario Pete Sarsfield declared second-hand smoke a workplace health hazard.
    Under Ontario’s public health act workers are not allowed to be exposed to health hazards.
    Sarsfield says he had to act because municipalities have not addressed the issue.
    But some business owners say the decision should have been made by elected officials.

• what do you think?

• we already did that in BC

• I think it’s perfectly fine if they want to ban it in public places.

However, I do not think they should be able to regulate it inside a privately owned businesses.

• Smoking should be illegal all together. Smoking kills people. Not just the people who smoke the cigarette, but also the secondary smokers around them. If your not going to outlaw it altogether, banning it in all public places is the next best thing. This includes parks, streets, schools, ect. Private Business’s should be forced to enforce a Smoking zone, and disallow smoking in all other places.

But thats just my opinion.

• The thing about private businesses is that under workplace safety acts (at least in Canada), working in an environment where there is toxic gases and substances requires expensive protective gear. Technically and theoretically smoking should fall under this act, requiring employers to initiate safeguards to protect their employees.
    Bars and restaurants which allow smoking put their employees at serious risk of eventually developing smoking-related illnesses. The people who frequent these establishments have a choice as to whether or not they wish to, and really spend a fraction of the time that the employees do, so much as politicians like to make it a children’s issue, it really is not, so much as an occupational health issue.

• If the worker doesn’t like the conditions under which he/she has to work, then he/she can leave. No one is forcing them to work at that particular establishment, and this isn’t a slave labor society we’re living in.

• @Deviant:Scripter:

If the worker doesn’t like the conditions under which he/she has to work, then he/she can leave. No one is forcing them to work at that particular establishment, and this isn’t a slave labor society we’re living in.

you’re certainly in the right country for that attitude.
    i suppose that other carcinogenic materials may be floating loose throughout the workplace, hazardous conditions, the odd uncontrolled explosion, and the employer has no responsibility to have a “safe” working environment?
    I thought that left England in the 1800’s. I certainly hope that attitude does not prevail in the US - if it does, then i’m increasingly forced to agree with our European friends’ attitudes towards American “civilization”.

• I agree with the mesure, and to what CC says… smoking has really no use anyway, it’s just harming.

• Taxation on tobacco products will get so high no one will be able to afford to smoke anyway. Currently in New England $3.00 to $4.00 US a pack…

• Smoking is Dumb Period :P

• a woman waon 23 billion dollars from philup morris!

• @GeZe:

a woman waon 23 billion dollars from philup morris!

hey Geze - Philip Morris called.
    They want you to spell and capitalize their name properly.
    8)

• LOL :lol:

Shut up :evil:

• 7.00 a pack in NY )

• and this is american money!

wow 7.00american, I could buy a house with that!

• It’s even worse in Canada I think.

• LOL

just joking, 7US would be around 12 canadian

• If you can’t effectively ban soft drugs how could you ban smoking?

Next, are you going to ban suicide?

• @yourbuttocks:

Next, are you going to ban suicide?

suicide and smocking are differnt, smoking harms other people suicide doesnt

• unless……

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m