The Cannals and their importance.

• In the games of AA I have played I have seen very little strategic use of both the Suez and Panama Canals. These two spots if used properly by the Allies or blockaded and used by the Axis can make nightmares for any fleet action of the opposing team. 
        The use of the Suez and Panama canals I have found can be the game decider for both the Axis and the Allies. The Panama Canal is the one that is the most defendable and important because it allows the US to carry out a war in two oceans so to say. A large American fleet can sit on either side of it and have reinforcements just a turn away well protecting both coasts and being able to pressure Africa with a token force that can be supported by the UK and if trouble arises the rest of the fleet is only a move away.
        I have yet to put this thought into action but also blockading the Panama with subs form Japan or Italy would also make a logistical nightmare for the US for they could only produce on there coasts and not mass a joint fleet with the UK.
        The Suez Canal I really think is this side of a capitol the second most important spot on the map for the Allies and Axis. It is right in the middle of the game so to say. It is Italy’s backdoor and places were Japan really needs to think of sending an small force of troops and a few ships to help the Italians. It also allows for a massive joint UK, US fleet to use the US content as a wall and steam through the Med into the Indian and push Japan into its home form the south. This is the long way around but you can get a very large combined fleet in the Indian with a UK IC’s in Egypt and India to help negate losses.
        But really I just like to be in control of these two spots because if you are you are in a good place in the game. I hope you dont mind the long post, Just figured a fleet comander need palces to move his fleet anound and these are the keys to that.

• you cannot block any ship movement whatsoever with subs.

panama is of minor signficance imho. its i too expensive for axis to make it of any use. now in some KGF you might encounter a smart jap move closing it, but it will be rare.

however the more i play aa51 +NO the more i am convinced that what in our playgroup we call “the belt”, that is TRJ, PER, IND ( and egypt to some extent) is very important. you have got to fight axis here at all cost. its the door to russia, africa and mainland asia.
    6-8 unit brit landings turn 3 and 4 can an probably will be in egypt trj turn 5 /6. together with an american pacific campain, you can then switch back to aiding russia with britain

• The only important canal is Suez, but there are several other TTs which are much more important, imo.
    Many TTs which (in +NO games) is dependent on NOs, are more important than the Suez canal.

The axis NO TTs are very important, b/c if the axis can only get a few, then axis usually lose. In -NO games, the Suez is not more important in AA50 then it is in Revised. In Revised, the Suez can be important in some games, if Japan moves the fleet to the Med, which must happen pretty early, or the allies will close the canal.
    In AA50, it would probably not be wise to move the Jap fleet to the Med, b/c the Italian fleet should be removed long before the Jap fleet can reach, and if it does, then Japan should be vulnerable for a US pac strat.

• I agree with Patterson, the canals are important. They are like bottlenecks.

• 2007 AAR League

I’ve never seen a game where the Panama canal was contested.  If the Axis ever get anywhere near Panama, the allies are all ready in serious trouble.

Suez is a different story, and is a great advantage to which ever side holds it.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m