• I heard years ago from a friend his preferred method of playing Axis and Allies.  It involves three separate game boards.  One goes to the Axis, one goes to the Allies, and the last one is for combat movement.  Basically, it creates a “fog of war” setting that can make a game interesting.

So, the Allies deploy on their board, and the Axis on theirs.  You proceed as normal, except that when you declare combat, you place your attacking pieces in the territories you wish to invade on the “neutral” board.  Then the corresponding defenders move the defending units to the areas of the neutral board that they reside.  You resolve combat, then move surviving pieces back to your board.  IC reside on the neutral board, but AAs do not.  New purchases I think were placed on the neutral board then moved to your own board (I think).

Has anyone tried this?  How much did it change the game?  I’m really interested in trying it, but would like feedback so I don’t waste my time.  Obviously it creates a higher setting of trust in a game, but I think avid players would be serious about the game and not waste their time with cheaters.  So, I want to hear your experience.

Thanks!

• Using three boards is basically an alternative to having to write down all the info instead.  I think a btter alternative and keeps the game much more playable.  It helps if you have a third (neutral) person that can moderate between the three boards.  This can also help keep encourage each player to keep game turns short.

Imperious Leader gives a good example of the three board play with his Jutland game.  It’s under the “Other Axis and Allies Variants” section

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m