• And how many times have I heard of a future with flying cars and space colonies? ;)

• hey give us 100 more years TG i am sure you will see Space colonies and flying cars ;)

• @NatFedMike:

hey give us 100 more years TG i am sure you will see Space colonies and flying cars ;)

I certainly hope I’m around in 100 years. And I’d rather see spacecars and flying colonies. :D

• Yes, with one condition.

You pass a law saying any clone is no different from a human being in terms of civil rights, ect.

Using Stem Cells to grow body parts could potentially saved millions of lives. I don’t see why our Government doesn’t promote it more.

• @Yanny:

Yes, with one condition.

You pass a law saying any clone is no different from a human being in terms of civil rights, ect.

Using Stem Cells to grow body parts could potentially saved millions of lives. I don’t see why our Government doesn’t promote it more.

I don’t know. It seems to me you would not want clones to have the same rights as people. Because what if someone who had a bad heart, for example, had a clone made to ensure that he would have a replacement heart? I’m sorry, I can’t explain why I think clones shouldn’t have rights, it just doesn’t seem right for some reason.

And yes, I agree about the stem-cell research.

• A clone is a person. He will simply have the same DNA (slightly varied actually) as another person, like a twin. He’s even have different finger prints.

• @TG:

I doubt we’ll be seeing a “clone army” in the future, F_alk. I think you’ve been watching way too much Star Wars, freundchen. :wink:

The clone army was not what i feared. But messing with living material… well, the good thing about chemical and nuclear weapons is that they are active only once. Biological entities have the tendency to multiply, to survive at all costs… so creating something there and setting it free can have effects that we can not foresee at all, and that is the danger.

But that is going OT, that"s why i put it in brackets the first place.

• Yes, but physics is not just limited to nuclear energy nor chemestry to chemical agents, but I see the point that you’re getting at least. ;) At least for now, there are vaccines for some biological agents - for nuclear warefare, there are none.

• @Yanny:

A clone is a person. He will simply have the same DNA (slightly varied actually) as another person, like a twin. He’s even have different finger prints.

They could even better then the average person, if we get skilled enough at Cloning we could take out the Bad genes in people like Cancer if that is feasable off course. And it could help us understand aging a bit and make wonders for medical technology. and if you are that Open minded, you could think of Cloning as our next stage of Evolution. because as far as i am concerned anything Man made is Natural, because after all Man is naturally made.

• @NatFedMike:

@Yanny:

A clone is a person. He will simply have the same DNA (slightly varied actually) as another person, like a twin. He’s even have different finger prints.

They could even better then the average person, if we get skilled enough at Cloning we could take out the Bad genes in people like Cancer if that is feasable off course. And it could help us understand aging a bit and make wonders for medical technology. and if you are that Open minded, you could think of Cloning as our next stage of Evolution. because as far as i am concerned anything Man made is Natural, because after all Man is naturally made.

signs of Gattaca.

And i think that man threw out the whole idea of “natural evolution” once social-type programs were invented. With the current social nets in place people who should not be living to reproduce are doing so increasingly. Cloning - No animal can genetically engineer out genetic “blebs” - not with the same velocity that you are proposing. Maybe this is our answer to the social engineering question where the least deserving seem to reproduce increasingly. (by “least deserving” i am referring to the kind of people who should have died by accidently baking themselves in an oven, or by jumping up and down in a knife field)

• candidates for the darwin awards.

• CC, i am surprised.
    Even though (Depending on my mood) i sometimes saz something similar elitist…. i can not understand at all how christianity and talking of “people that would better be dead” can go hand in hand. I am confused.

• @F_alk:

CC, i am surprised.
    Even though (Depending on my mood) i sometimes saz something similar elitist…. i can not understand at all how christianity and talking of “people that would better be dead” can go hand in hand. I am confused.

wow
    where did i mention “people that would better be dead”?
    This is not a simple misquote, this is a completely different meaning.
    I am suggesting that there are people who would have died a billion times of a billion conditions that havn’t because of our social engineering.
    Would these people be better off dead? I would never say this thing. Even about prisoners on death row. If i was the kind of person to say this, then why would i be against capital punishment.
    I’ll write his up to a difference in language.

• @cystic:

Maybe this is our answer to the social engineering question where the least deserving seem to reproduce increasingly. (by “least deserving” i am referring to the kind of people who should have died by accidently baking themselves in an oven, or by jumping up and down in a knife field)

Then i must have misunderstood you, but this “baking themselves” and “jumping … in a knife field” just made me understand it that way.

• @F_alk:

@cystic:

Maybe this is our answer to the social engineering question where the least deserving seem to reproduce increasingly. (by “least deserving” i am referring to the kind of people who should have died by accidently baking themselves in an oven, or by jumping up and down in a knife field)

Then i must have misunderstood you, but this “baking themselves” and “jumping … in a knife field” just made me understand it that way.

i’m exaggerating the stupidity (but only marginally) of humans that in another place in another time would not have lived long enough to reproduce.

• My question is now: how exactly are we going to use genetic engineering to get rid of stupid people reproducing, CC? Do you plan to engineer out that ability somehow?

• @Grigoriy:

My question is now: how exactly are we going to use genetic engineering to get rid of stupid people reproducing, CC? Do you plan to engineer out that ability somehow?

this was not my point.
    this is called “eugenics” and was loosely applied by Hitler et al. about 60+ years ago. I have no plans for any kind of engineering, social or genetic or mechanical, etc. In fact, i think that just as genetics may be an exciting step in the further development of humankind, this step without ethical considerations and care for other people (who they are, and who they might be) is a very dangerous one.
    I considered, one day, a very cynical way to do what you are proposing. The resolution is simple.
    A clinic that provided free vasectomies/tubal ligations. In addition to this service, they would provide a free 2-4 of beer. This would eliminate from the gene pool all of those who would give up their fertility in exchange for beer. This sounds politically incorrect for some reason . . . .

• Ah, eugenics. I do know that besides Hitler, various scientific types such as Darwin also applied it to their thinking. The problem with it, is that if you restrict who you can marry, you end up with inbreeding.

Also, your clinic idea probably is not PC somehow…but it would probably work (sadly)

• " They could even better then the average person, if we get skilled enough at Cloning we could take out the Bad genes in people like Cancer if that is feasable off course. And it could help us understand aging a bit and make wonders for medical technology. and if you are that Open minded, you could think of Cloning as our next stage of Evolution. because as far as i am concerned anything Man made is Natural, because after all Man is naturally made."

Then they would not be clones :)

• Im not talking about human cloning or stem cell research, or any of that, I think thats a seperate discussion.

You know whats great? the way nobody cares what the actual topic is, and flat-out ignores a statement like this. :wink:

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m