• I’m an Intermidiate player that has played Japan alot and have not figured out the most sucessful strategy. do you guys have suggestions?

• ahhh yes.
    The “win the game strat”.
    It all so depends on who is playing Germany and the allies. In my mind Japan has to seize as much territory as quickly as possible. Keep Asia a sea of Yellow by dumping hordes of inf via trns (remember 2 trns can dump 4 inf faster than an ic on manchuria).
    Put Russia up against the wall. Force the UK and US to reinforce Karelia. Neutralize the English presence in Africa if you can. Keep the pressure off of Germany.
    (not too much in terms of specific strat, but it’s hard to come up with one with no scenario).

• Russian player usaully attacks Manchuria and Norway plus takes out 1. the German Baltic and 2. Atlantic sub fleets…
    2. German Player does the German thing… Africa like mad, Russia in reserve for T1 only fortifying positions, taking out as much of the british fleet as possible (and the americans if the sub in atlantic survives…
    3. Britian Buys Aircraft carrier and Transport, Strategy Bombs germany, moves a fighter to Keraila, and refortifies India (but doesn’t build a factory) plus if the canadian transport survives then lands a Tank on Britian…
    4. Japan ?
    5. America buys transports infantry and subs sometimes for the pacific (don’t ask me why)then hits africa and moves airforce to britian and a fighter to AC

American player(s) likes to hit Japan lightly with sub sneak attacks and fighter strafing if they have the I.P.C.'s (and the guts for that matter :wink: ) then germany in africa and T 100,000,000,000,000… W. Europe

Britian mainly lands Infantry and Tanks in Norway and goes tech happy(hey sometimes they got lucky but that’s only sometimes… :P )

Russia Fortifies then when it feels like it it takes out either Ukraine or Eastern Europe :x

so it might and probably looks like a pretty basic mechanic of attack to you…
    please suggest!!

• Given the senario you described, Russia is completely done for after turn 5 or so. They would be all spread out on the backside and probably never recover. If Germany goes all out INF for the first 2-3 rounds then the Allies are at a serious disadvantage, but who knows with what you are describing. I love to play Japan, as it is the most fun country to play as you can be just as aggressive as you want and not lose the farm early on. Just as CC points out start up that INF train going 3 Transports strong…if you can put 6 INF on the mainland everyround plus a couple of ARM to spare with an IC mainland, you will have a nice wall of yellow coming at Russia. Stay away from the Pearl Harbor, as you can use those BB to go at India should UK put an IC down there. and once you really have a nice land army going start to throw in a few FTR’s and you are set my friend. I just love to see a game board with JP flags all over Africa, and my crowning jewel is to plop down a nice 1-2 transport worth of INF on Brazil late in the game, just as a I can, I will, and you can’t stop me. Love that feeling…

• ahhh yes.

The “win the game strat” for Japan: Sink the US navy and take Moscow. In that order. It´s simple, really.

• Guest, as you can see hax and mort don’t agree on Pearl. You could try it with or without Pearl, but lissin to cc!

No time now gotta go….

• @morten200:

ahhh yes.

The “win the game strat” for Japan: Sink the US navy and take Moscow. In that order. It´s simple, really.

its stupid you cant win with subs its fucking suicide

• im a member now ha ha ha

• @ethy:

its stupid you cant win with subs its fucking suicide

@ethy:

im a member now ha ha ha

DO NOT FEED THE TROLL

• It is imperative to establish an I.C. on Asia A.S.A.P. and to eliminate any Allied (U.K. or U.S.A.) I.C. in Asia. I agree with cc strike as quickly as possible. If Russia falls … the game is typically over soon thereafter.

Asia is the key for Japan and anything else is just gravy!

Germany must do it’s part though – particularly capturing any nearby sea zones (i.e. U.K.) and taking Africa (very important).

Mista Biggs 8)

• MB is correct on all but…
    @MistaBiggs:

It is imperative to establish an I.C. on Asia A.S.A.P.

I usually wait till J5 for the IC on the mainland, unless playing an idiot/idiots(then earlier.) Sometimes I do not need the IC. An IC is occassionally given to me by UK in Ind or US in Sinkiang!

• I am with Jefe on this one, if you do the math you can pump out more troops quicker by using the transports from the Japan cap. rather then spend the money on an IC right off the bat. And more then likely you get a gift IC from one of the allies which just furthers your cause. Japan’s goal is to flood the mainland with troops first to fortify everything she takes from the allies, then back it up with tanks to continue rolling into the Russian cap.

• Whether or not it’s better to buy transports or and IC depends on what you plan to attack with. If you plan on attacking with tanks, which I think is the way to go, it’s cheaper to place an IC. An IC costs 15 and allows 3 tanks a turn while 2 transports will cost 16 and allow 2 tanks a turn. Plus the IC will place the tanks closer to combat. Why is it better to attack with tanks? For 5 you get a 3 as opposed to spending 6 on two ones. It’s more economical. Tanks defend the same as infantry, but Japan isn’t in danger of being attacked and you can defend with fighters. Also tanks can move twice as far which leads to a faster conquering of territory, which means more to spend and less for the allies to spend.

I think Japan should definately take out Pearl Harbor. They can do so with little loss and it will take the US at least 2 turns to rebuild what they lost.

• I agree with Kidhorn:

@Kidhorn:

Whether or not it’s better to buy transports or and IC depends on what you plan to attack with. If you plan on attacking with tanks, which I think is the way to go, it’s cheaper to place an IC. An IC costs 15 and allows 3 tanks a turn while 2 transports will cost 16 and allow 2 tanks a turn. Plus the IC will place the tanks closer to combat. Why is it better to attack with tanks? For 5 you get a 3 as opposed to spending 6 on two ones. It’s more economical. Tanks defend the same as infantry, but Japan isn’t in danger of being attacked and you can defend with fighters. Also tanks can move twice as far which leads to a faster conquering of territory, which means more to spend and less for the allies to spend.

I think Japan should definately take out Pearl Harbor. They can do so with little loss and it will take the US at least 2 turns to rebuild what they lost.

I like having the I.C. in Asia A.S.A.P. and still using the transports to bring over additional units. Producing 3 tanks from Asia per turn and what ever else possible from Japan = Russia will fall soon (unless Germany does first). I agree with the Pearl Harbor move as well … Japan should strike and strike fast!

Mista Biggs 8)

• How you play Japan depends on whether your opponent builds an India IC. If they do, control of Burma is the key to the defense of India, since if the UK controls Burma they can attack Kwantung and China with newly produced tanks and force you to keep contesting territories that don’t even border India. If Japan controls Burma with anough infantry that Japan can’t take it, then Britain is on the defensive and can’t attack out of India for fear of it being taken by the ever-expanding sea of Japanese infantry. That’s why it’s usually a big mistake to send too many ships to Hawaii. If you do, it won’t be until turn 3 that you can finally send transports to Burma. Instead you should be covering the 2 transports as they land 4 infantry in Burma on turn 1. If you then build 2 more transports you can have 2 groups of transports going back and forth between Burma and Manchuria alternately unloading in both territories and adding more transports as you can afford them. Burma gets at least 4 inf per turn to India’s 3 armor. And one more thing, be usre that you don’t let any stray planes get a shot at your transports.

If there’s no India IC, first concentrate on Manchuria for the first turn to prepare to push the Russians back to Moscow. They’ll be your major resistance and you’ll need to keep a lid on them.

ALso, you’ll be fighting lots of small battles. Be sure to use your superior airforce to make sure that the allies take more casualties than you in every engagement, especially Russia. Garmany will appreciate it when Russian troops have to start leaving Karalia for the eastern front.

Then finally, keep an eye on the US. If you’re playing 3rd edition (W. Canada doesn’t border the Atlantic), the W. US will be lightly defended and you can cause a lot of panic and messed-up plans by taking Hawaii with a reasonable number of infantry and ships.

• I want to address this post in 2 parts.

1st:

@Eric:

How you play Japan depends on whether your opponent builds an India IC. If they do, control of Burma is the key to the defense of India, since if the UK controls Burma they can attack Kwantung and China with newly produced tanks and force you to keep contesting territories that don’t even border India. If Japan controls Burma with anough infantry that Japan can’t take it, then Britain is on the defensive and can’t attack out of India for fear of it being taken by the ever-expanding sea of Japanese infantry.

It doesn’t matter if U.K. builds an I.C. in India or not. Japan should always take India on their first turn. It is very important that Japan knocks out U.K.'s plane. If U.K. built an I.C. on their first turn – than it’s just an added bonus for Japan. Japan should set up shop in Burma after turn 1.

Japan should build an I.C. in Burma (plus a transport) on turn 1 … it doesn’t matter whether U.K. built an I.C. in India or not – here’s why:

If U.K. did build an I.C. in India … Japan should still build an I.C. in Burma since the India I.C. will most likely be taken back on U.S.A.'s first turn. Even though Japan will easily retake India on Japan’s 2nd turn … it won’t be able to start producing out of India until turn 3. So, I suggest building an I.C. in Burma no matter what. This will allow three tanks per turn from Burma, plus whatever else from Japan … and starting turn 3 – 3 more tanks from the India I.C. (if U.K. bought one on turn 1).

Turn 2 – Japan should finish off the U.S.A. forces in Asia. Russia will be eliminated soon thereafter!

2nd:

@Eric:

That’s why it’s usually a big mistake to send too many ships to Hawaii. If you do, it won’t be until turn 3 that you can finally send transports to Burma. Instead you should be covering the 2 transports as they land 4 infantry in Burma on turn 1. If you then build 2 more transports you can have 2 groups of transports going back and forth between Burma and Manchuria alternately unloading in both territories and adding more transports as you can afford them. Burma gets at least 4 inf per turn to India’s 3 armor. And one more thing, be usre that you don’t let any stray planes get a shot at your transports.

All though it is not necessary … I think that Japan should move all of it’s navy (except the transport from the Phillipines) to Hawaii along with the fighter (on carrier) and perhaps the bomber if not needed Asia. It is important to destroy U.S.A.'s carrier. It is also important that you bring all that you can so that U.S.A.'s chances of destroying the Japanese fleet are reduced. The most that U.S.A. could retailiate with is the battleship, the transport, 2 fighters and the bomber. Japan should have both battleships, the carrier and the fighter left. If the U.S.A. does attack the remaining Japanese fleet … the battle could go either way, but whatever happens – both forces will be entirely demolished. This will leave the U.S.A. with NO airforce and NO navy (except for what they newly purchased). Japan will have NO navy, but they really won’t need one for at least 2-3 turns. By then Japan will be making as much money as the U.S.A. and Germany won’t have to worry about the U.S.A. for a LONG time (and by then it’ll be too LATE … Russia will be OUT of the game).

Mista Biggs 8)

• its important for japan to draw the u.s.a into a false sence of security and let it biuld up its air force and navy whilsed japan prayes lady luck will be on her side and build a superior navy by building a battle ship each turn in doing this u.s.a will send its mighty force to hawiee and that is where you want them because if japan saves its fighters and go in with its fleet of battle ships that it has just built over the last turns asisted by them into the stronghold it will surley crush the usa fleet and then will march on to washington dont worry about the asian front your bomber will take care of that :wink: :wink: belive me it works i was the player with usa :x :x

• @ethy:

its important for japan to draw the u.s.a into a false sence of security and let it biuld up its air force and navy whilsed japan prayes lady luck will be on her side and build a superior navy by building a battle ship each turn in doing this u.s.a will send its mighty force to hawiee and that is where you want them because if japan saves its fighters and go in with its fleet of battle ships that it has just built over the last turns asisted by them into the stronghold it will surley crush the usa fleet and then will march on to washington dont worry about the asian front your bomber will take care of that :wink: :wink: belive me it works i was the player with usa :x :x

punctuation helps.
    The strategy itself needs the US build a pacific. Usually, if that happens (or the US builds too much air force), then the Axis have won. Otherwise, with Japan spending 24 IPCs on useless things each turn, it is open again.
    If i see japan building BBs each turn, i would just start the shuck-shuck from 'Frisco and that’s it. Let them have Hawaii if they want.

Don’t worry about the aisan front? One bomber?
    teheheee

• @F_alk:

If i see japan building BBs each turn, i would just start the shuck-shuck from 'Frisco and that’s it. Let them have Hawaii if they want.

Don’t worry about the aisan front? One bomber?
    teheheee

I agree with F_alk – if Japan is building BBs each turn, I would use the shuck-shuck … but, I would use it in the Atlantic instead of the Pacific. I might would purchase a sub or so every turn IF I wanted to attack Japan’s fleet (being that the subs have the “first hit” capability).

OR – If the U.S. wants to spend = I.P.C.'s on it’s Pacific fleet as Japan does (in this situation 24 I.P.C.'s), then 3 subs for U.S.A. to Japan’s 1 BB. I would rather have the subs personally. More than likely 1 of the subs will hit and the dead unit is removed WITHOUT getting to shot back.

Not to mention – Japan needs to use it’s money on attacking Russia.

Mista Biggs 8)

• @Kidhorn:

If you plan on attacking with tanks, which I think is the way to go, it’s cheaper to place an IC. An IC costs 15 and allows 3 tanks a turn while 2 transports will cost 16 and allow 2 tanks a turn. Plus the IC will place the tanks closer to combat. Why is it better to attack with tanks? For 5 you get a 3 as opposed to spending 6 on two ones. It’s more economical. Tanks defend the same as infantry, but Japan isn’t in danger of being attacked and you can defend with fighters. Also tanks can move twice as far which leads to a faster conquering of territory, which means more to spend and less for the allies to spend.

Too many tanks purchases by Japan can spell Axis death. It is a misnomer that Japan is only on the offensive. A good Allied player will attack the Japan player right back - many times with a 1-2-3 punch in different spots on the Asian front. If the Allies are trading INF for ARM, ARM purchases are no longer an economic buy.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m