World leaders come late to Prez Reagan's Star Wars…

• It took 20 years, but the world has come to see the wisdom of President Ronald Reagan. He proposed a National missile defense shield for the USA. Reagan would have shared the technology with those who agreed.

Even then it was not expected to stop an all out nuclear attack. However, if it had been approved then, with 20 years of tests and advancements even a full nuclear barrage might be stopped today.

Think of the money that would have been saved on the system if begun 20 years ago.

Someone had to push the idea. Reagan was ahead of his time.

Now who’s gonna have an idea about stopping nuclear cruise missles(not ballistic)? Who’s gonna say “no”?

• I love Reagan. :P

Once of our best Presidents in history. :D (ya, you heard my right Yanny!)

• Oh, no! Here you(s) go again. :roll:

I’ve read some of the posts/arguments along this line. If it starts again, this will be my first personal eye-witness experience. Ew-who-who-who! I’ve got lizard-bumps! :D

• '19 Moderator

@Deviant:Scripter:

I love Reagan. :P

Once of our best Presidents in history. :D (ya, you heard my right Yanny!)

Not ashamed to say I agree 100%

• hmmm…dunno a thing about the presidents, but like I’ve said before, I love movies! Well Dead Presidents is an awesome movie (it’s called that because of money - dead presidents). Follows the life of this guy, he goes to vietnam, comes back, then pulls a bank heist with some guys and it goes wrong, etc. Very cool! And then there’s Point Break, about guys who dress up like the ex-presidents when they’re robbing banks. Keanu Reeves is in it, you’ll have to ignore some of his lame lines :roll:

• I love Reagan.

Once of our best Presidents in history. (ya, you heard my right Yanny!)

Testify!

• weird thread.
    What’s it about again? A movie??
    oh yeah - Star Wars.
    Loved iv - vi,
    Able to bear i
    hated ii

or was it dead presidents? interesting movie. Kind of like Point break . . . except they wore masks of dead presidents . . . or were they just lame presidents?
    who cares.
    i’m tired.
    and i’m going to have a cookie.

• lol….

though i must say that episode II was slightly better than episode I… (“he is the one to bring balance to the Force”… “we killed the last dark jedis some mpfteen centuries ago”… do Jedis never think? ;) )

• Yes Reagan, who left billions in debt for my generation to pay off, and created terrorist groups who are giving us so many problems today.

A Star Wars defense system will cause a Nuclear War. The second we think we won’t get nuked in return, we’ll start shelling out those nukes.

• Seriously now, who among us could not have ball parked Yanny’s responce and been pretty darned accurate? ;)

• It’s a typical fiscal liberal reponse from someone who doesn’t understand history or the US government.
    A couple of points…

1)These deficits were always there. However they were hidden in the budget. The best known example is the Social Security Fund “lock box” which has been empty for years due to the spending of a liberal Democrat majority US Congress.
    It is through the efforts of a conservative Republican majority US Congress that there is one budget(the General Accounting Office[GAO]) rather than two budgets(the GAO and the Office of Management and Budget[OMB])as worked with by a Democrat majority US Congress for many decades. (Regretfully they both(GAO &OMB)still exist, but thankfully only one budget is used.)

1. “Reagan gave us the largest deficit ever” has been proven false since the day it was first uttered almost 20 years ago. The US President proposes an annual budget each year shortly after a rough outline is presented at the State of the Union Address. The US Congress debates, compromises and passes an annual budget when they can come to an agreement(passing extensions of the previous budget to bridge the gap.) Therefore, the US Congress makes/spends the budget/your taxes. It was a Democrat majority US Congress that made the deficit.
      Look at the increase in tax income created by the Reagan tax cuts. From 1982 to 1988 THE TAX INCOME DOUBLED WITH LOWER TAXES. But the Democrat majority US Congress outspent the raise that the Reagan tax cuts provided.

What’s not to understand?

Yanny, every president has made decisions that have come back to haunt future administrations. Monroe, FDR, Carter, Reagan, and Clinton just to name a few that I could quickly tag. Try it and you will see.

• The second we think we won’t get nuked in return, we’ll start shelling out those nukes

Run for the hills lads, by this logic the cops will start shooting us once they realize that they have vests that help stop bullets.

• Yanny, every president has made decisions that have come back to haunt future administrations. Monroe, FDR, Carter, Reagan, and Clinton just to name a few that I could quickly tag. Try it and you will see.

You named a big list of Presidents who looked like they were doing something but in reality did very little, except for Reagan. He didn’t leave us with the most debt of any President, I’m sure some wartime debts easily doubled his, but he did leave my generation with a huge bill to pay off.

Jazz, want to know why this is predictable? We’ve already had this discussion. I do not have the time nor do I wish to elaborate on my views again.

• Yanny,
    you never learn! :roll:
    LJ didn’t say that about Reagan leaving the largest deficit. Democrats did/do say it.

I (and others) expounded (multiple times) on the fact that the budget is the congress’ responsibility. It has something to do with “separation of powers” as well as “checks and balances.” Check your Government textbook.

Get off it.

• Yanny, there is no need for you and I to debate that. We are dead set in what we think and I wont change your mind and you wont change mine. The fact that we are not going to argue about it shows we havce wisdom beyond our years :wink:

• Jeepers :) I think we can all agree that “ctm” is right. Let’s leave it at that

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m