• Alright, it’s true I haven’t played RISK in a while, but then again I haven’t played ANYTHING in a while, so I would take RISK if I could get it. the thing is, no matter what game I play, someone always has to have luck in such amounts as to make strategy entirely worthless. I’ve seen it happen too many times (not enough in my favor) :wink:

• Alright, it’s true I haven’t played RISK in a while, but then again I haven’t played ANYTHING in a while, so I would take RISK if I could get it. the thing is, no matter what game I play, someone always has to have luck in such amounts as to make strategy entirely worthless. I’ve seen it happen too many times (not enough in my favor) :wink:

• I stand by my word… Risk is a classic and will always remain one. :)

However, I’ve grown to like A&A: Diplomacy even more. :wink:

• I haven’t played risk in 30 years, but my favorite thing about it is KAMCHATKA. I just like the word. I can imagine Josef Stalin saying, “not only am I sending you to Siberia, you are going all the way to KAMCHATKA”.

dubya also gatorade

• probably someone else has already noted this, but Risk is a good, simple platform to make your own game. The game itself is not that great, though it is classic, its pretty simple, and boring. But the simplicity of it makes it a good platform to make your own game, which is usually much more fun to play. me and my friends (dasewok included) have done this on a number of occasions, it can be very entertaining.

• Very true indeed, Janus. :)
    Has anybody else here given different defense/attack values for Cannon, Horse, and Infantry? :)

• hell, i make up whole new games, using the pieces and board. sometimes the cards too

• forgot how I did it but did it one time…

• @cystic:

i actually find acid/base equations more interesting than a game of risk.

Not a big chemistry fan, are you? :D

• i dontknow what ur talking about i love risk but mostly because its shorter than A&A

i like a man who grins when he fights
    -winston churchill

• I count myself among the RISK despisers. But i have also become somewhat bored of plain old A&A (heresy, i know!), so my brother and my friend and i decided to combine Risk with A&A, we haven’t finished our first game yet, but we are having so much fun!! We play with the A&A units and rules on the Risk board and it is every man for himself! It sort of takes on the best of both worlds in that you get to use the strategy and tactics of A&A while having the every-game-is-different-trash-talking-backstabing-goodness of Risk.

I also really enjoy the Lord of the Rings Risk, has anyone played that?

• @BigEndion:

I also really enjoy the Lord of the Rings Risk, has anyone played that?

No, how do you play it?

• @Grigoriy:

@cystic:

i actually find acid/base equations more interesting than a game of risk.

Not a big chemistry fan, are you? :D

BSc chem
    MSc biochem

• In lord of the rings risk the game is a limited time (until the ring is destroyed).

Does anyone know a link to the rules for A&A: Diplomacy?

@Drumstix:

In lord of the rings risk the game is a limited time (until the ring is destroyed).

Does anyone know a link to the rules for A&A: Diplomacy?

Um…I’d like to see the game :D :D :D

• I just want to say I think you are all nuts. :roll:
    Risk rules, but chess and Go are best for strategy. 8)

• Lord of the Rings Risk is superior to regular Risk. For the forces of darkness, the 1 army piece is an orc, 3 is a Nazgul and 5 is a Cave Troll (forces of darkness have 2 armies - black & red). The other guys have the 1 army piece as an elf, 3 is a Rider of Rohan and 5 is an Eagle. Each side starts automatically in 9 territories each (forces of Darkness in Mines of Moria, Isengard, etc. and the good guys in Rohan, Rivendell, etc.). The ring begins in the shire and moves 1 space after each player takes their turn. If it gets to the last spot, the game ends and you decide the game by a point system. Their are ring cards that allow you to slow it down if you so choose. Their are also power cards like if someone attacks you you can use a reinforcements card to add 4 armies to your force. At all of the main “bases” on the board, the “home” army gets a +1 to defend (Isengard, Helms Deep, etc.). Each army begins with a commander that gives the group that it travels with +1 to attack and +1 to defend. Another point that distiguishes this from normal Risk is that no matter how many territories you gain in a turn, you only get one territory card (and 1 power card if you take over certain territories), so the armies don’t get out of hand. The # of armies for turning in a set does not go up either - the max. # of armies you can get from a set is 10 depending on what type of set you turn in. There are also impassable mountains, rivers that divide some territories and ports that connect some territories. For some reason, my wife, her sister and a lot of other people who would never play standard Risk, A&A or anything like that really enjoy this game (I think it’s just because they like LOTR). It still is a game of runs to a point, but it does not get so out of hand and a bit more strategy is involved (just the fact that you are teamed up with someone else makes a strategy necessary, because you can’t travel through eachother’s territories - many a time where a large force got boxed in due to poor planning!). It’s definitely worth checking out.

• Another point that distiguishes this from normal Risk is that no matter how many territories you gain in a turn, you only get one territory card

I thought this was a rule in regular Risk too.

• Wow, thanks for the review, wardog42 ;)

• I thought this was a rule in regular Risk too.

I haven’t played standard Risk in a long time, but I’m fairly sure that you get a territory card for each territory you take over in a particular round.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m