• I was in huge trouble in a game lately when G1 took egypt without losing a single unit, meaning he had 1 tank, 1 artillery, 2 inf there at UK1.

My R1 opening was West Russia and Ukraine. I was lucky: I took WR losing only a single unit, and decided to discontinue Ukraine after taking every G unit except fighter, without taking a single hit myself. Then, G1 made a mixed tank-infantry build, and took UK fleet in med+ (BB+Tr) + egypt, without any losses in egypt.

I decided to try to retake egypt with india fleet + bomber, but I am not sure whether that was a good decision. In hindsight, it was surely bad: I lost 3 infantry + fighter + bomber, and G still had it’s tank. What would you do if G1 takes egypt without losses? My reasoning was that since Russia was in a very good position, I should pressure G as much as possible. But maybe I should have conceded africa for the first few rounds, and concentrated on landing in europe?

• @MrMerguez:

I was in huge trouble in a game lately when G1 took egypt without losing a single unit, meaning he had 1 tank, 1 artillery, 2 inf there at UK1.

My R1 opening was West Russia and Ukraine. I was lucky: I took WR losing only a single unit, and decided to discontinue Ukraine after taking every G unit except fighter, without taking a single hit myself. Then, R1 made a mixed tank-infantry build, and took UK fleet in med+ (BB+Tr) + egypt, without any losses in egypt.

I decided to try to retake egypt with india fleet + bomber, but I am not sure whether that was a good decision. In hindsight, it was surely bad: I lost 3 infantry + fighter + bomber, and G still had it’s tank. What would you do if G1 takes egypt without losses? My reasoning was that since Russia was in a very good position, I should pressure G as much as possible. But maybe I should have conceded africa for the first few rounds, and concentrated on landing in europe?

Pull back 2 infantry from India to Kenya with the transport (move the fighter and the carrier there as well, along with an UK fighter from UK to West Russia) to join the SA infantry and land on Algeria with the US (the transports will be sunk but the point is to get units to Africa as fast as possible to liberate it).
    That forces Germany to either send more units to conquer Africa (excellent for Russia), send them to Persia/Asia or to scatter them to conquer the continent and then the Allies can pick those units clean. Plus, your UK carrier is now in position to sink the German fleet if it approaches again SZ15 to land troops.
    Almost losing no units with Russia on R1 is a godsend…

• Thank you hobbes; why didn’t I think of that…

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m