• Looking a Microsoft’s tech stocks today, I would say not as much.

Microsoft’s business practices have little to do with their stock prices currently. There’s no denying that Microsoft is one of the most successful companies in history. It’s their business practices that got them that status.

FYI: Did anyone know that Microsoft spent more money developing Windows 2000 then Boeing spent developing the 747?

Heh, it seems like Microsoft isn’t intent on releasing their source code, yet are thinking of doing so with the rise in computer programing using Java and Linux in the UC system.

Actually, you are able to purchase the source code to Windows. It’s not very well known, because it costs way more money than it’s worth.

I think Sun makes their money by suing the pants off of Microsoft.

Hehe, I’m sure that doesn’t hurt to win cases against a multi-billion dollar company.

• Microsoft’s business practices have little to do with their stock prices currently. There’s no denying that Microsoft is one of the most successful companies in history. It’s their business practices that got them that status.

You mean concentrating in Monopolies and stealing others people’s code?

Actually, you are able to purchase the source code to Windows. It’s not very well known, because it costs way more money than it’s worth.

How long ago was this? Your right that it would’ve been more trouble then it’s worth.

• You mean concentrating in Monopolies and stealing others people’s code?

Well, if you’re referring to Netscape then I’d have to say that they lost because of stupid mistakes on their part, not because of anything Microsoft did to push them out of the market. I’ve got many example to back that up…

How long ago was this? Your right that it would’ve been more trouble then it’s worth.

I’ll find it for you as soon as I can. It was awhile back, so I’ll do my best. :)

• Ok TG, I’ve found it:
    http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/sharedsource/oem.asp

Hmmm… April 2002, perhaps they finally wised up.

Well, if you’re referring to Netscape then I’d have to say that they lost because of stupid mistakes on their part, not because of anything Microsoft did to push them out of the market. I’ve got many example to back that up…

And what about 1990, when Microsoft released Windows 3.0. By then, Microsoft had clearly gone far beyond its licensing agreement with Apple, and had stolen patented intellectual property.

• Hmmm… April 2002, perhaps they finally wised up.

Personally, I think they’ve been wise all along, but that’s just a matter of opinion. By releasing their source code, I think they’re trying to soften the blow from the mighty hand of the justice department.

And what about 1990, when Microsoft released Windows 3.0. By then, Microsoft had clearly gone far beyond its licensing agreement with Apple, and had stolen patented intellectual property.

Are you referring to the license for the concept of a GUI? Well, let’s see…where did Apple get that concept from? They certainly didn’t invent it. Nope…it’s was Xerox’s concept. :o It’s all one big vicious cycle. :wink:

• Are you referring to the license for the concept of a GUI? Well, let’s see…where did Apple get that concept from? They certainly didn’t invent it. Nope…it’s was Xerox’s concept. It’s all one big vicious cycle.

If you’re talking about 1984, when Apple Computer released the Macintosh computer, which used a graphical user interface to represent a desktop metaphor, with folders, files, and a trash can, among other things - this is not true. It is common belief that Apple stole the idea from Xerox. Apple bought the interface from Xerox for a rather hefty amount of Apple stock, and the final result was very different from the one that Xerox invented.

• @Deviant:Scripter:

FYI: Did anyone know that Microsoft spent more money developing Windows 2000 then Boeing spent developing the 747?

And still, Windows2000 crashes more often than 747’s …… ;)

Another nice thing:
    try to google “go to hell” (with quotation marks). Have a look who comes up first :)

• If you’re talking about 1984, when Apple Computer released the Macintosh computer, which used a graphical user interface to represent a desktop metaphor, with folders, files, and a trash can, among other things - this is not true. It is common belief that Apple stole the idea from Xerox. Apple bought the interface from Xerox for a rather hefty amount of Apple stock, and the final result was very different from the one that Xerox invented.

Yea, ok. My point is that Apple is not the “revolutionary” company that everyone makes it out to be.

And still, Windows2000 crashes more often than 747’s ……

LOL. :D

try to google “go to hell” (with quotation marks). Have a look who comes up first

Hell.com? :-?

• @Anonymous:

Yea, ok. My point is that Apple is not the “revolutionary” company that everyone makes it out to be.

That’s because Amiga did all the work :)
    (Just kidding BTW–I just love platform flame wars)

Ever since Microsoft killed Netscape I’ve always believed the company was evil but I’ve come to realize they are just 100% pure amoral. The fact that our society tolerates and even celebrates the achievements of a completely amoral company does not reflect well on us.

• Personally, I think Microsoft is a monopoly, and that is against the law. I don’t agree with the law, I don’t see how being one is illegal, it IS a law and Microsoft IS breaking the law.

• And still, Windows2000 crashes more often than 747’s ……

Definately true. :) It seems like Win98 crashes more than 95, 2000 isn’t much better, NT was a scam, and ME was the worse of them all. Well at least I admit that XP is much better compared to yesteryear - though it sucks that I can’t use DOS programs on it. :x

I come right out and say it, Apple was dumb. They fired Jobs (who was wayyyy ahead of the game) and hired the CEO of Pepsi. A lot of good he did them… :-?

try to google “go to hell” (with quotation marks). Have a look who comes up first

Uh I got Hell.com too. :-?
    (And that site sucks! :evil:)

• @Yanny:

Personally, I think Microsoft is a monopoly, and that is against the law. I don’t agree with the law, I don’t see how being one is illegal, it IS a law and Microsoft IS breaking the law.

Yea, you’re probably right. I’ll admit that Microsoft probably is a monopoly. However, I don’t believe they should be punished for being successful. I don’t think they became a monopoly using tactics that are any different from any other business in this economy.

Definately true. It seems like Win98 crashes more than 95, 2000 isn’t much better, NT was a scam, and ME was the worse of them all. Well at least I admit that XP is much better compared to yesteryear - though it sucks that I can’t use DOS programs on it.

Windows 2000 is the best of all of them. Has anyone here actually run 2000 or either of it’s big brother’s 2000 Server and Advanced Server? They’re pretty damn stable. I’ve had my Linux box crash more times than my Windows 2000 Advanced Server.

I come right out and say it, Apple was dumb. They fired Jobs (who was wayyyy ahead of the game) and hired the CEO of Pepsi. A lot of good he did them…

I apologize TG. I always assume that people who don’t like Microsoft must adore Apple. I’ve got to quit that bad habit. You’re right though, Apple is undeniably a stupid company.

• I apologize TG. I always assume that people who don’t like Microsoft must adore Apple. I’ve got to quit that bad habit. You’re right though, Apple is undeniably a stupid company.

I mean when you think all the Steve Jobs came up with, it was stupid of them to fire him. Windows 2000 is the best of all of them. Has anyone here actually run 2000 or either of it’s big brother’s 2000 Server and Advanced Server? They’re pretty damn stable. I’ve had my Linux box crash more times than my Windows 2000 Advanced Server.

I’ve haven’t worked with XP or Win2000 to say which one is better, but at least they’re much better than the other scams Gates has come out with (hint, hint Win95 and above).

• I apologize TG. I always assume that people who don’t like Microsoft must adore Apple. I’ve got to quit that bad habit. You’re right though, Apple is undeniably a stupid company.

I mean when you think all the Steve Jobs came up with, it was stupid of them to fire him.

Windows 2000 is the best of all of them. Has anyone here actually run 2000 or either of it’s big brother’s 2000 Server and Advanced Server? They’re pretty damn stable. I’ve had my Linux box crash more times than my Windows 2000 Advanced Server.

I’ve haven’t worked with XP or Win2000 to say which one is better, but at least they’re much better than the other scams Gates has come out with (hint, hint Win95 and above).

• Aoltimewarner should merg with apple and nintendo,the ulimate anti microsoft company

• AOL-Time is a decaying giant. You seen how many companies they had to shed in order to keep their head above water?

• Amen to that TG.

AOL - TIME WARNER is way overrated. Too much fluff, and not enough substance. Probably caused by the bad leadership they have in their company.

• try to google “go to hell” (with quotation marks). Have a look who comes up first

Ooops, last week, when i was told about that, the first to appear was “microsoft cooperation”…… seems that we missed lawyers in action.
    Sorry for the inconvience, i hate jokes that don’t fire.

• its not Windows (nt) 2000 that I think he’s talking about, its Windows ME (horrible).

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m