Global Warming- stop getting so upset

• What can I saw, fuel consumption isn’t on the number one list of what drivers want when looking for a car (“coolness,” “performance,” and “affordability” being the biggies). In California where price gauging runs rampant (especially in the summer), I still see people driving around in big, fuel eating muscle cars and SUVs. I guess Low Emission and High Mileage vehicles, for now, aren’t cool, powerful, or affordable enough for people to give them more than a second glance.

• I don’t think I could fit my family of 5 in a car designed for maximum fuel efficiency. They’re mostly small models designed for a driver and one passenger, really no back seats - hatchbacks…

• @Field:

I don’t think I could fit my family of 5 in a car designed for maximum fuel efficiency. They’re mostly small models designed for a driver and one passenger, really no back seats - hatchbacks…

But, when you buy a new car: is fuel efficiency any important to decide which car you buy?
    You don’t have to buy the most efficient car, but to buy the most efficient car that fits your real needs (which are not speed and coolness etc.)……

Maybe the car producer then skip their production and advertising scheme from “has cool can holders” to “is as good as possible in fuel consumption”

• “Coolness” matters. Just look at any car advertising commerical or magizine add. Hardly do they adverstise good fuel consumption (it think to date, I’ve only seen 1 commerical on a fuel efficient are - the Honda Civic H (?)). The rest of the commericals are just filled with catch phrases, taking corners at high speeds, off road driving with lots of mud, and other “if you buy this car, you’re bound to have fun” propaganda. The problem is that it works.

• How does CO2 affect the O3? I could understand why CO does that, and why flour-carbon-hydrates (sp?) do that, but CO2? please explain.

• F_alk - Your right, it is a consideration to buy the best fuel efficient car for your needs. I was demonstrating that it is not feasible for everyone to have cars designed for the maximum, since people with families couldn’t possibly buy them…

• @F_alk:

How does CO2 affect the O3? I could understand why CO does that, and why flour-carbon-hydrates (sp?) do that, but CO2? please explain.

I’m no scientist! How does Carbon Monoxide even exist? It only has 6 shared valence electrons!

• @HortenFlyingWing:

@F_alk:

How does CO2 affect the O3? I could understand why CO does that, and why flour-carbon-hydrates (sp?) do that, but CO2? please explain.

I’m no scientist! How does Carbon Monoxide even exist? It only has 6 shared valence electrons!

good question. i’ll try and take a look at that. I did know at one time, but alas, i’ve been slacking.

• Where have you been educated?

• @HortenFlyingWing:

Where have you been educated?

B.Sc. Chemistry (mostly Org and Biochem) - U of Winnipeg,
    M.Sc. Biochemistry - U of Manitoba
    MD - U of Manitoba (top 20 on the continent, believe it or not - this is another reason i defend American education systems - it reflects well on us . . . . :)
    this is kind of an interesting question - it might deserve its own thread . . .
    what about you guys?

• @HortenFlyingWing:

@F_alk:

Carbon is triple bonded to Oxygen. This gives each molecule its 8 valence electrons. Oxygen is not too happy about this, however this molecule fits into a haemaglobin structure much more snugly than O2 (which is why smoke inhilation kills you).

• @Crypt:

MD - U of Manitoba (top 20 on the continent, believe it or not - this is another reason i defend American education systems - it reflects well on us . . . .
    what about you guys?

I was educated mainly in Los Angeles inner city. USA ranks in the bottom of the barrel in test scores (English and math) among the rest of the World. California is ranked 40-something out of all 50 US states. Los Angeles inner city schools are considered the lowest in California. Therefore, I conclude that I must be the most ignorant and uneducated A&A player ever to walk these boards. You should have no problem thrashing me :wink:

• @TG:

@Crypt:

MD - U of Manitoba (top 20 on the continent, believe it or not - this is another reason i defend American education systems - it reflects well on us . . . .
    what about you guys?

I was educated mainly in Los Angeles inner city. USA ranks in the bottom of the barrel in test scores (English and math) among the rest of the World. California is ranked 40-something out of all 50 US states. Los Angeles inner city schools are considered the lowest in California. Therefore, I conclude that I must be the most ignorant and uneducated A&A player ever to walk these boards. You should have no problem thrashing me :wink:

read my previous post subject header :)

• Don’t worry, I will never let my schooling interfere with my education. :wink:

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m