• Can land units such as soldiers or tanks attack water units? Also when you attack or defend do you take the units off the board and put them on the atack/defend chart.

Also when you attack does that count as a move. i mean if you send a bomber (moves 6) to japan lets say from Hawaii, when it attacks does that use up a move?

• no, yes and no :smile:

Land units can only be attacked by ships when being on a transport ship.

The manual says you should place every battle on the attack/defence chart, but after some time you will learn what values all the units have, so it wont be necessary, but since you just bought the game, i suggest fighting the battle on the chart.

And attack doesnt count for a movement. So Bombers can attack Japan from Hawaii, they move three to move above Japan, attack, then move three back to Hawaii. Only six movements here.

• Just to clarify the naval/land situation…

Land units cannot attack naval units at all.
    Naval units can ONLY attack when its considered an “amphibious assault”, and even then, its ONLY the battleships that may attack with just ONE shot for every battleship taking place in the assault.
    An amphibious assault takes place by having one of your transports carry at least one land unit to the desired territory along with any battleships you’d like to take part in the assault.

**There are many little rules that greatly effect an outcome of a game…I strongly suggest reading over the ENTIRE manual .

• majordamage is right .

• alright, but with the support shots with the battleships…do the land units get to hit back then against the battleships?

• no the battleships first roll, then casualties are removed (just like with a sub) and the ship is retreated from battle (so it cant be hit). Works exactly like AA-guns.

• moving this to the new player help forum

• greensleeves typed:
    “no the battleships first roll, then casualties are removed (just like with a sub) and the ship is retreated from battle (so it cant be hit). Works exactly like AA-guns.”
    actually, BB shots are NOT like subs first strike or AA guns - the units they hit may counterattack with the rest of the defenders, they simply can’t hit the BB.
    see pg 15 of the rulebook

• Also in amphibious assaults keep in mind that the defender also gets to fire back. Of course I have never seen in the history of warfare infantrymen taking out a battleship in shore bombardment…

• On 2002-01-10 15:00, Major_Damage wrote:
    Just to clarify the naval/land situation…

Land units cannot attack naval units at all.
    Naval units can ONLY attack when its considered an “amphibious assault”, and even then, its ONLY the battleships that may attack with just ONE shot for every battleship taking place in the assault.
    An amphibious assault takes place by having one of your transports carry at least one land unit to the desired territory along with any battleships you’d like to take part in the assault.

**There are many little rules that greatly effect an outcome of a game…I strongly suggest reading over the ENTIRE manual .

Way to say it, MD!
    –-------------------------------------------------------------
    "SHAZAM!

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m