Long post about Japaneese Industrials

• Let me make it clear, I’m not saying NEVER build a factory, but in the early game it is a vital mistake. I usually will have a factory on the mainland once the India and any American factories are gone.

And I dont use pure infantry pushing to do my offense, I use the extra money to buy fighters. I keep a ratio of 6 infantry to each tank though. I just find it more effiecient.

• if the allies build a factory on turn 1 then it is quite easy for japan to take it. Therefore the allies should not build one. Thus, they have no way to stop the japanese. Tanks are needed for japan to take the mainland. Russia is not a problem. If russia sends men eastward then Germany can make use of their many tanks and march on moscow. If they do not then Japan is free to concentrate on eliminating india and the minimal us forces. Japan can take any asian territory it wants on the first turn and needs tanks there. An IC is necessary on turn 1

• I bet you I could win playing as allies easily against your mainland industrial complex 19 outa 20 times. You play the computer game in addition to the board game? I’d love to get a game going.

On that note - Greensleeves we still on?

• I tried to build a Japan IC in 1st turn and I didn’t really like the results. The problem is that you loose a lot of momentum.

• dont know yanny, im awfully busy, but i think i can play in the afternoon my time (+1 GMT) next week.

I usually build an IC on turn 4 and sometimes in 3. I then build my armor at these factories and the infantry on Japan. But in the early part of the game i can rely on my fighters to capture china, india and some russian territories. I dont agree with you though on the armor part, i think only 20 or maybe 25% of your forces should be fighter or armor, not 40 or more. You will see that you run out of infantry to defend against counterattacks by moscow.

But anyway you need those fighters to capture asia, not to assist your fleet. Fighters can move 4, which means you can threaten and attack like 4 territories in Asia every turn.

• I am going to have to disagree here. This all may be true if the Allies make a serious attempt to build and defend an IC in Asia, but doing so is a big mistake for the Allies. If the Allies (US UK) are focusing on an Asian IC then they are diverting forces away from the critical areas. The Allied strategy should be focused and directed towards Germany. If the US and UK dedicate resources to Asia, then they do so at the expense of investing resources that could serve a far greater bennefit by providing a defensive base for Russian territories against Germany that can ultimately be tactically implimented as a part of a three prongged attack against Germany once Russia has been secured. Germany simply can not invade a country that is defended by the US, UK, and Russia and they can not last long against a coordinated three prongged attack.

If the US or UK start messing around with a complex in Asia they weaken the Russian defense which will ultimately lead to more Allied casulties in the German/Russian conflict as well as weaken the Allied attack capabilities against Germany. Japan can do what ever it wants, but it will not be able to successfully invade the Russian capital once it is secured by three countries (Russian infantry backed by several US and UK fighters). Germany will fall far quicker against the coordinated attack…and once Germany falls it is good night for Japan.

• The asian complexes are actually indirectly helping europe in 2 ways. First, if Japan is forced to deal with the Asian complexes it can’t attack russia easily. This allows Russia to not worry about the far eastern front. Second, it allows Britain and US slightly higher cash outs per turn. The majority of their money is stil spent on Europe.

• On 2001-12-10 12:13, Yanny wrote:
    The asian complexes are actually indirectly helping europe in 2 ways. First, if Japan is forced to deal with the Asian complexes it can’t attack russia easily. This allows Russia to not worry about the far eastern front. Second, it allows Britain and US slightly higher cash outs per turn. The majority of their money is stil spent on Europe.

Russia is not a threat to Europe at all early in the game -only to Asia. Russia can not afford to defend its Eastern territories against Japan -there is just too much land to defend. I can not see how the Allies could defend an Asian complex without investing a lot of resources to defend it against Japan -and if they do that there will be less support for Russia against Germany.

It is important to know what to focus on and what to conceed. I will always conceed to the perfieral battles in order to win the critical ones convincingley. The biggest mistake I see people make is trying to do too much and spreading themselves too thin. It seems to me that this strategy loosly falls into that category.

But that is just my opinion. I am always open to other’s ideas/opinions.

• You also need to prevent Japan from becoming too powerful. They start fairly weak but can become quite powerful (IPC-wise) very quickly if you simply ignore them. Hence the complexity of the game. As the allies you must stop the Germans before they can do damage to the Russians but you need to keep the Japanese bottled up untill you’ve finished with Germany. This is why as the US I like to keep my options open in the Pacific with a fleet larger than that of the Japanese.

• You said it yourself, the point of an asian factory is to not spend much money on it. I usually commit 2 american tanks and 3 british tanks. This can hold off japan for 5 or 6 turns. During this time, the allies are landing troops into Karalia and Russia ususually commits 1 or 2 inf each turn toward the far easy.

russia, can easily hold out against germany. In the majority of my games, if the allies oust germany from Africa early (can be done in just a few turns) russia will usually make more money than germany if Japan is boggled down in Asia. a few turns later, the germans are on the defensive, and the japaneese are just begining their attacks on russia, which has the money to fight the japaneese.

• Well it is not a bad strategy, but I am not a fan of it. The 5 tanks and 15 ipcs (5 men; 1 fighter; etc) used on the complex in Asia is no trivial loss of arms in Europe. It is conceivable that they could be the difference between victory and defeat or the difference between a mere narrow victory and a convincing victory in a key battle in Europe. Germany will greatly appreciate these force having been applied else where.

And 5 tanks is really not much of a force for Japan to contend with. Even when unchallenged, it takes Japan many rounds to assemble a force capable of challenging the Russian capital. And by that time there should be a formitable force of Russian infantry backed by American and British fighters ready to meet the challenge, and Germany will already be on it’s last legs defending its few remaining strongholds against a three nation invasion while in financial ruin.

By directing resources at Japan you may manage to stall Japan somewhat, but you can not do so without taking pressure off of Germany. My experience is that Germany will fall quicky against a coordinated all out mulitnational assault, and that even an uncontested Japan takes time to become a threat. Taking even a little pressure off of Germany may slow down the spread of the Japanese in Asia, but the URGENCY of Japan’s arival has also been diminished due to the loss of pressure on Germany. You slow down Japan (a little), but buy time for Germany. This to me is a mistake.

• Again, you said it yourself, Germany can easily be taken down by a combined allied assault. But, if you do that it becomes a race for if Japan takes Russia before the allies take Germany.

The key to my plans is moderation. Spend 75% on germany, 25% on japan. Japan, bottlenecked at the start, will take a few turns longer to get into shape and make a serious threat upon russia. By now, Germany and Russia are in stalemate, America and Britain now are in full swing, and the Japaneese are just begining to gain momentum. Problem is, once they gain momentum, the russians, if they havent been putting enough infantry toward Japan, may also be overwhelmed.

• On 2001-12-11 11:46, Yanny wrote:
    Again, you said it yourself, Germany can easily be taken down by a combined allied assault. But, if you do that it becomes a race for if Japan takes Russia before the allies take Germany.

The key to my plans is moderation. Spend 75% on germany, 25% on japan. Japan, bottlenecked at the start, will take a few turns longer to get into shape and make a serious threat upon russia. By now, Germany and Russia are in stalemate, America and Britain now are in full swing, and the Japaneese are just begining to gain momentum. Problem is, once they gain momentum, the russians, if they havent been putting enough infantry toward Japan, may also be overwhelmed.

Japan will not take Russia. Far from it. Germany will fall far quicker and once Germany falls it is all over for Japan.

Russia can easily fortify its capital’s defense by buying infantry and the US and UK will provide air support. Japan needs to build but it can only do so with limited quickness even if uncontested. The more pressure the Allies put on Germany the less time Japan has to build its force because once Germany falls it is all over for Japan anyway. This is the key. There is no need to stall Japan because the more pressure the Allies put on Germany the easier Germany will yield land and the quicker it will fall -hence the less time Japan has to build.

And with three countries providing support, Russia can easily defend itself against Japan. A few UK/US planes (that can also be flown to combat when on the offensive) and all Russia has to do is throw some infantry in the capital when Japan reaches its borders.

One thing that I learned early on in playing the game is that it is not wise to try and do too much. It is better to concentrate on one thing than to try and do several things half-heartedly. The reason for this is simple. The quicker I can kill my opponent the fewer casulties I will suffer in doing so. If I destroy my opponent in one round, I will only suffer as many casulties as he can inflict in a single round. If it takes me three rounds to kill that same force, I will suffer three rounds worth of casulties in the transaction. The point is, the 5 tanks and 15 IPCs plus what ever else you commit to building/defending an IC in Asia may not seem to you like a lot of fire power to be taking away from the efforts in Europe, but they can be VERY significant. Every enemy those pieces kill is one less enemy that can potentially inflict casulties on me, and the pieces they save can then go on an destroy more enemy pieces hence preventing further potential casulties to my forces…etc.

The bottom line is a quicker, easier falling of Germany. Japan may expand slightly quicker if left alone, but this quick expansion is outweighed by the hastening of the German demise and a stronger Allied force as the result of fewer casulties sustained due to more convincing Allied victories in combat.

[ This Message was edited by: xenophobe on 2001-12-11 13:07 ]

• A good japaneese player can reach moscow in 6 turns, with average luck a german player can hold out for at least 10 turns against an all out assault.

• On 2001-12-11 13:19, Yanny wrote:
    A good japaneese player can reach moscow in 6 turns, with average luck a german player can hold out for at least 10 turns against an all out assault.

I think we are going to have to agree to disagree here. 6 rounds seems about right for Japan to build a strong force on Moscow’s doorstep, but not necessarily strong enough to take it. With 4-6 Allied fighters (easily afforded by UK/US within 6 rounds) in the Russian capital Russia only has to contribute a solid base of infantry to defend itself against Japan.

I think you are off on the German estiamte. If the Allies avoid spreading themselves thin in the Germany conflict and systematically move onto German soil one step at a time as a single significant force, Germany will never hold out for 10 rounds against the pressure of a multi-national force. They could only hold out that long if the US or UK manage to squander their pieces by engaging in minor and insignificant periferral battles.

Anyway, as I said, I think we will have to agree to disagree here.

• germany receives about 25 IPC’s by only holding the european mainland. If this is all spend on infantry then it will take about 10 turns to defeat them. At that time Japan not only has reached Moscow but is also capturing the whole of africa as well and maybe alaska/canada/western us. The western allies will get seriously weakened by this and a major attack on germany will be made impossible.

• On 2001-12-11 13:58, greensleeves wrote:
    germany receives about 25 IPC’s by only holding the european mainland. If this is all spend on infantry then it will take about 10 turns to defeat them. At that time Japan not only has reached Moscow but is also capturing the whole of africa as well and maybe alaska/canada/western us. The western allies will get seriously weakened by this and a major attack on germany will be made impossible.

Perhaps against a very weak US and UK.

• only 10 turns holding out would be a very weak germany. Any good german player can get at least 9 infantry to africa, while holding eastern europe, before the allies can destroy the german’s transports.

9 infantry on africa + airforce is good to hold the allies off for quite some time.

Edit - let me add that axis are at a disadvantage, so you might wanna consider in all this a bid. but, as I said ontop, a good german player can survive till Japan can bring aid. This can include a south africa or brazillian factory, a switzerland factory (surprizingly potent) and a mainland invasion of russia. At the end of long games, it is the Japaneese most often that I see contesting africa.
    [ This Message was edited by: Yanny on 2001-12-11 17:36 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Yanny on 2001-12-11 17:40 ]

• On 2001-12-11 17:35, Yanny wrote:
    only 10 turns holding out would be a very weak germany. Any good german player can get at least 9 infantry to africa, while holding eastern europe, before the allies can destroy the german’s transports.

You obviously are not talking about facing an Allied force committed to pressuring Germany. There is no way Germany can afford to squander 9 infantry into Africa or to throw money into an IC in Switzerland or any of this if the Allies are played properly. Perhaps if the Allies are foolish enough to field a useless IC in Asia or commit valuable resources towards stalling Japan in the East -but certainly not against an all out Allied assault.

With an all out Allied assault on Germany, the best Germany can hope to do is keep retaking the Russian Northern complex in order to hold off a full Allied fortification of the crutial territory. But as soon as Germany rolls bad and fails to retake the Russian IC the territory becomes fortified with far too many US/UK fighters and will never get a second chance at it. And that force will soon be moving onto German soil and has the backing of three countries to defend it, so good luck to Germany with trying to retake it.

And once Germany loses its airforce or UK claims its sea space Germany is in serious trouble because the UK will be right on top of it with ground troops in addition to its many fighters -this changes its orientation from a primarily defensive force to a force also capable of serious offensive action.

Unless I am mistaking something, but I seriously doubt it. We are talking the original game without optional rules, aren’t we? Perhaps we can play it out some time. I would play the Allies and apply my strategy and you could show me how Germany would defend against it. I have never played on-line before though.

[ This Message was edited by: xenophobe on 2001-12-12 12:44 ]

• I am talking with using either Russia Restricted or a bid.

And Germany can easily get an addition 8 (+ 2 and 1 tank already there) infantry to africa. All you need to do is buy 1 transport your first turn and move any surviving subs (usually just the formly bay of biscay sub) to take hits. funneling 4 infantry per turn to africa.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m