German Strategy: Mediterranean Offensive

• I like the flexibility in this edition.

Most games i probably will not do this. BUT if i see america is thinking about plopping down five bombers to reach out and kill some japanese this could force them to build in the atlantic.

Thanks for the idea.

• @MarkVIIIMarc:

I like the flexibility in this edition.

Most games i probably will not do this. BUT if i see america is thinking about plopping down five bombers to reach out and kill some japanese this could force them to build in the atlantic.

Thanks for the idea.

Too bad for the Axis that the Japanese don’t appear on Europe… that would mean that the 5 bombers are heading towards the German fleet ;)

• I really like the idea of this Med push with the German Fleet, think i’m going to try it out in my next game. Plus thinking about it in the two games i’ve played so far i have not been agressive enough on following up on the additional IPC bonus gained for Germany (amounts to +20 IPC i believe) if all objectives are met.

And i imagine if you are in a position as Germany to claim that extra 20IPC including the french territories IPC that would greatly help with the war effort and cause the US some trouble as it would have less weak contact points to choose from when it does come round to attack through Africa or Europe making the Med and Africa plenty harder to take control of.

I don’t have the game to hand but with the German bonus IPC and the fact by G2 France should have added it’s IPC to Germany, Germany should be making something close to what the US does in it’s war IPC collection, is that correct?

• @eindatadog:

I don’t have the game to hand but with the German bonus IPC and the fact by G2 France should have added it’s IPC to Germany, Germany should be making something close to what the US does in it’s war IPC collection, is that correct?

G’s production at the end of G1 is 41-39 IPCs, plus the 17 IPCs from France and 5 for an NO, so it’s 60 IPCs and spare change. At the end of G2 the production level won’t move much, unless it attacks Greece or Russia, but it will get the 2nd NO from control of all of France/Benelux/Norway, so it will be 50 IPC and something.  The US wartime production is 65 IPCs.

• @Hobbes:

G’s production at the end of G1 is 41-39 IPCs, plus the 17 IPCs from France and 5 for an NO, so it’s 60 IPCs and spare change. At the end of G2 the production level won’t move much, unless it attacks Greece or Russia, but it will get the 2nd NO from control of all of France/Benelux/Norway, so it will be 50 IPC and something.  The US wartime production is 65 IPCs.

Okay so not as much as i thought but still a good amount, but surely with the Germans helping in the Med with troops and ships supporting the Italians in Africa that means less IPC for UK and with the use of German Subs denying them even more IPC and strengthening the position in that over all location in preperation for a possible US assault through the Med. Also it goes some way towards weakening the UK financially thus freeing up the Germans to concentrate on the USSR on G3/G4 onwards.

If perhaps this does work i can imagine that even if the eventual push into Russia stalls/slows it will still hold the ability to succesfully repel any US invasion on Europe and the use of strategic bombing on Russian Factory’s to slow production down. And with the IPC gained from bonus’s and acquired IPC from annexed country’s will eventually help Germany to victory at Moscow.

Though we could just ignore all this and just blitz towards Moscow  :-)

Personally though i think this is a clever idea, far better use of the resources and allows stronger cooperation between the Axis powers, weakens UK, punishes USSR into decline albeit a slow one and ensure the US has to make more choices when it comes to war in Africa or Europe and therefore more of a chance to make mistakes.

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

You could always ropa-dope Russia, that’s what I did in my game.

Put units on the eastern front in offensive positions, that although look offensive are really Defensive.

Russia usually backs off and leaves a 1 inf buffer.

If it makes sense like it did for me, attack the buffer intelligently, but if it looks ugly,  Then just DONT attack on Germany 4.  You still get + 5 IPC’s for not being at war, you buy yourself an EXTRA turn against Russia, because likely since you’ve planned for a defence he can’t attack any of your territories, and if he does, you have Defenders advantagee.

No one seems to predict, that G4 moves might not encompass an attack on Russia.  Depending on how Russia’s defense is aligned aswell, you can head north or south.

Coupling that option with a mediterranean strategy, is not necessarily a bad idea.  The only outstanding concern is the Russia navy, but chances are it’s suicide for him to attack you too.

• Assuming the UK pulls back out of africa you’d be better off with italy grabbing gibralter so you can go INTO the med on G2.  Then you can even only send what you need, do an italian strafe on turn 2 against cario and nab it turn 3 with Germany if italy fails.

• I played a game of Europe a week ago that is relevant to this discussion. I’ll chuck in a few thoughts as well. I don’t have a map with me, so bare with me.

Germany bought two transports and carrier. Took out entire British navy except the transport next to England for the loss of two sub, one bomber, and one plane. Took Parris leaving the mech and tanks.

England bought men and hit the Italians fleet with what would reach except the tac, which landed in Europe. A carrier with one hit and a cruiser survived.

Italy bought one destroyer. It prepared to take Egypt, took Southern France, activated Bulgaria. Tansported man and tank to Albania, leaving Two destroyers and a Cruiser.

France moved to support the British in the med.

After a few rounds, the med was clear, egypt had quite a few men in it. Iraq had an Italian Minor IC. The Germans took an opportunity to hit an understrength US  contingent supporting three transports and 1 UK transport. Germany hit it, and took Gibraltar (out of reach of a US counterattack). Only lost two subs. From there, the transport went intoo the med. This allowed movement of men and arty into Egypt. The Italians then spenta bit of time buildign a small navy (it already had two additional bomber and one tac bomber, both original planes as well). It eventually had three subs and three detroyers. I figured  combined witht he navy, we can seriously slow own the US using destryer blocking aand at least one crack using subs and all planes.

The The US just ignored the med. The managed to take Western Germany. UK flew it’s planes there. Next go, US built 9 tanks. Germany kicked him out, but similar exchanges occured with the British. Eventually, the very c=successful Western germany Anti Air guns depleted the Luftwaffe, and the Italians had this massive navy sitting, doing nothing, in  the med.

I think if Germany send too much to the med, it really does hinder the defences when the US heads North. That being said, The North African men may be better used heading to Russia.

• @Gargantua:

If it makes sense like it did for me, attack the buffer intelligently, but if it looks ugly,  Then just DONT attack on Germany 4.  You still get + 5 IPC’s for not being at war, you buy yourself an EXTRA turn against Russia, because likely since you’ve planned for a defence he can’t attack any of your territories, and if he does, you have Defenders advantagee.

Makes sense in Global, but in Europe the Germans don’t get $$$ from not being at war with Russia. :)

• @Gargantua:

Put units on the eastern front in offensive positions, that although look offensive are really Defensive.

Russia usually backs off and leaves a 1 inf buffer.

No one seems to predict, that G4 moves might not encompass an attack on Russia.  Depending on how Russia’s defense is aligned aswell, you can head north or south.

Coupling that option with a mediterranean strategy, is not necessarily a bad idea.  The only outstanding concern is the Russia navy, but chances are it’s suicide for him to attack you too.

I concur, with intelligent placing of German units on the eastern front i see no reason why you could not put of the invasion of USSR, which would help in strengthening locations and getting Strat Bombers and other military resources into position.

While ofcourse the US/UK forces are a threat, the UK should be less so, as proposed before German subs should be hitting supply lines hard and Axis troops should be pushing through to South Africa and Troops permitting even into the Sudan and across to UK controlled India. Overall the aim is to ensure when the landings do happen the only player will only really be the US and with the troops Germany has been building for the previous 4 turns should be in a position to repel the first landings, combined with Destroyer blocks should hopefully mire US forces.

I’m aware that US IPC is still larger than (though they have to purchase fleet and air support to safely get them across the ocean) Germany however hopefully the greater cooperation between the Axis in Africa can only prove to make Italy stronger back in Europe and much more capable of adding real support for the Axis to fight against Allied assault in europe.

Though as you suggest the USSR fleet could be perhaps (most likely  :roll:) a problem, untill i actually try a game i can’t really see what numbers will be involved on both sides, though i actually wanted to get a chance to play Allies in our next game i’m itching to get another go at playing the Germans

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m