• This map from the pc game Silent Hunter 3 perfectly illustrates what I’m hoping for in the Europe 1940 map: safe gap for U-boats and wide Atlantic. The Europe land mass obviously will be enlarged for game purposes.

Interesting to note that if the Azores was a territory in the game it shouldn’t have completely closed the gap even up to 1943. Below that, I never realized there was such a large gap directly west of Africa; but even more frightening was the Allied 1941 air coverage… :-o

• I can’t really see the map all that well, but I get the gist of it.

Considering the fact that Larry said the Atlantic would huge, I can imagine wolfpacks having a few ‘safe zones’ that allied aircraft coupled with destroyers can’t reach. At least for awhile anyway.

I’m thinking that stretching from Europe to the Americas, there’ll be about six to nine sea zones.

• well azores wont be in the map, but ice land will provide perfect air cover in the north Atlantic. (all you need is an airbase) My guess is that U-Boats will be safe only in the south Atlantic.

• Can you blow that map up just a little bit. I’m straining my eyes too much.

• Maybe I can help?

• There we go!

Damn. You’re right, adam.hall, the range of the Allied fighters is something else.  :-o

• @Admiral:

There we go!

Damn. You’re right, adam.hall, the range of the Allied fighters is something else.  :-o

Thank you, much better on these old eyes.

I googled to figure out which island that circle in the South Atlantic was. My guess is the island of Georgetown.

• @Brain:

@Admiral:

There we go!

Thank you, much better on these old eyes.

I googled to figure out which island that circle in the South Atlantic was. My guess is the island of Georgetown.

I think it’s St. Helena

• There was an area called the Black Zone where land based planes could not patrol due to range, however when they developed longer ranged aircraft the German subs had nowhere to hide.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m