• Just wanting to know if anyone has played the game Diplomacy, I always see it on the online stores and it looks interesting, but of course a lot of games look interesting but turn out boring or overly simple. I guess I’m trying to figure out as a veteran A&A player, would this game be any fun for me?

• '10

@maverick_76:

Just wanting to know if anyone has played the game Diplomacy, I always see it on the online stores and it looks interesting, but of course a lot of games look interesting but turn out boring or overly simple. I guess I’m trying to figure out as a veteran A&A player, would this game be any fun for me?

The name basically says it all. I played it in college and from what I remember the combat is resolved by dislodging pieces by having superior force which often meant you needed the help of an ally. If I remember correctly all moves by all were written down secretly and revealed at once. If your “ally” reneged on a move which was contingent for the success of your move you were screwed.  If you’re good at propaganda or are a BS artist its ok otherwise stick with AA

• Hmmm, sounds fun, I think that would be cool for some of my friends that are not as into AA as I am.

• I tried to open the rule book but it said there was an error, then when it opened it was blank. I’ll check the site but thanks BD.

• @maverick_76:

I tried to open the rule book but it said there was an error, then when it opened it was blank. I’ll check the site but thanks BD.

I just checked the link and it opened right up for me. Maybe you need to update your Adobe Reader.

• Probably is the case.

• I played this game once back in the '80’s and decided Axis and Allies was better for me.

• I played it and there were too many powers. I was Germany and got a relationship with Austria-Hungary, Russia, but the Ottoman Empire, France, and Italy attacked us from all sides and the UK fell before they could get in a relationship with anyone, over all I might get it, but don’t spend anymore then $30.00 on it

• '12

I used to play Diplomacy at a friday night games club in the mid 80s.  It’s a fun game but it can go on for too long if the ‘diplomacy’ sessions go on for too long.  To have a good game requires a fair number of players and some rooms for privacy.  The games club was awesome as there were lots of people playing other games, it was easy to get lost for a bit and talk some backstabbing with an ally?

It’s been a long time but from what I recall, you only had 3-5 pieces to start, either land or navy.  lots of territories but only some had ‘power points’ or whatever the official term was.  Seasons would go by (turns) and at certain times of year you counted the power points you had and that was how many units you would then have.

Winning required having more units supporting a battle then the other side, units rarely got destroyed in battle unlessthey could not retreat, and only 1 unit per territory.

So, you have 1 Brit unit in territory #1 (T1) that wants to move in against a german unit in territory #2 (T2) but you have no other units.  You ask your buddy the Russian to support you as he has a unit in T3.  He does, you write your orders on a paper, so does he, you both put them in the hat and move off.  You write T1 to T2 basically and he writes T3 supports T1 into T2 on his paper.  You both go on your merry way to another room, you lose track of your ‘buddy’ the russian who is now talking to the Germany about your attack.  So, you now rewrite your orders…, you grab a new paper and write down "These orders supercede the orders of T3 supports T1 into T2, the new orders are T3 supports T2 into T1!!  You backstab the brit and help the German, and then you go on your merry way back to the brit!!!  And you tell him you are setting up the german by pretending to backstab the brit, you write up new orders and so on and so on, thus the time limit per turn.

• @MrMalachiCrunch:

I used to play Diplomacy at a friday night games club in the mid 80s.  It’s a fun game but it can go on for too long if the ‘diplomacy’ sessions go on for too long.  To have a good game requires a fair number of players and some rooms for privacy.  The games club was awesome as there were lots of people playing other games, it was easy to get lost for a bit and talk some backstabbing with an ally?

It’s been a long time but from what I recall, you only had 3-5 pieces to start, either land or navy.  lots of territories but only some had ‘power points’ or whatever the official term was.  Seasons would go by (turns) and at certain times of year you counted the power points you had and that was how many units you would then have.

Winning required having more units supporting a battle then the other side, units rarely got destroyed in battle unlessthey could not retreat, and only 1 unit per territory.

So, you have 1 Brit unit in territory #1 (T1) that wants to move in against a german unit in territory #2 (T2) but you have no other units.  You ask your buddy the Russian to support you as he has a unit in T3.  He does, you write your orders on a paper, so does he, you both put them in the hat and move off.  You write T1 to T2 basically and he writes T3 supports T1 into T2 on his paper.  You both go on your merry way to another room, you lose track of your ‘buddy’ the russian who is now talking to the Germany about your attack.  So, you now rewrite your orders…, you grab a new paper and write down "These orders supercede the orders of T3 supports T1 into T2, the new orders are T3 supports T2 into T1!!  You backstab the brit and help the German, and then you go on your merry way back to the brit!!!  And you tell him you are setting up the german by pretending to backstab the brit, you write up new orders and so on and so on, thus the time limit per turn.

It does not sound like a 2 player game at all.

• '12

Yeah, pretty tough to do backstabbing in a 2 player game, unless one of you as multiple-personalities!

• @MrMalachiCrunch:

Yeah, pretty tough to do backstabbing in a 2 player game, unless one of you as multiple-personalities!

In that case I think I would like it but my imaginary friends may not.

• '12

LOL, that reminds me of a T-shirt my friend was wearing the other day.  It said something like “I have multiple-personalities, and NONE of them like you!”

• Now that sounds like a fun game that I could get some of my more “mainstream” friends into. They don’t like the idea of boardgames but I think this could be something that would be fun because you get to lie, cheat and steal, lol.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m