• @Janus1:

I think everyone is missing everyone’s point. CC, i dont know the laws in Canada (nor all of them in the US) but gay marriages are only legal in a handful of states (like, Vermont, i think). The idea is that it should be legal everywhere. I dont give a crap if you call it marriage or not, or whether or not the church sanctifies it, just give gay married couples the same legal rights as the married straight couples.

that’s called a “civil union”.

• yes. but its not allowed. thats the point.

• @Janus1:

yes. but its not allowed. thats the point.

ahhh
    wrong country.

• i dont have a problem with gays but why are they always forcuing their ideas on us?

• i dont have a problem with gays but why are they always forcuing their ideas on us

How do you figure? As I’ve shown above marriage as seen by the gov’t is not a religious ceremony but a civil arrangement. I don’t see any proponents of gay marriage arguing individual churchs should be forced to give religious solemnity to arragements they condemn, but rather merely want the equal protection by gov’t afforded to them in the bill of rights.

• @tigertank:

i dont have a problem with gays but why are they always forcuing their ideas on us?

I don’t have a problem with USies but why are they always forcuing their ideas on us?

• with the difference: gays don’t force their ideas “on you”.

• I don’t have a problem with USies but why are they always forcuing their ideas on us?

I don’t have a problem with foreigners, but why are they always forcuing their ideas on us?

• @Janus1:

I don’t have a problem with USies but why are they always forcuing their ideas on us?

I don’t have a problem with foreigners, but why are they always forcuing their ideas on us?

The US is the wealthiest, most powerful country in the world. The influence that it exerts on the rest of the world can not possibly be compared. There is very little that Americans may “need” or “fear” from any others. At the same time, it has so much to offer the rest of the world. And it does - for better or for worse - exert itself. Very often it is for good, however when it is not it is more devestating than when it is helpful. The point is this. The US sets the agenda for the rest of the world. To one degree or another. When the US sneezes, the rest of the world catches a cold with various effects. As a brilliant and worldly person, you doubtless realize this. So what is the point?
    We do not “force” our ideas on the US - it would be impossible. All we can do is wimper a little, and hope that the US hears something. Who knows - if they hear something, they just might pay attention. This may make a small change in some obscure policy which could alter the destiny of an entire nation.
    So Washington is filled with an army of lobbyists - all looking to “force” their ideas. If entire countries may beg to be paid attention to, this hardly may be considered “forcing”.

• my post was sarcastic…

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m