• Source :
    http://www.washtimes.com/national/20030711-121254-3711r.htm

Now there’s something I already knew.

My company has ties to several departments of the University of Cincinnati. UC/Cincinnati has a larger than average gay community. The educational environment and high paying work opportunities have encouraged gays to come and to stay.

The turnover I see in the gay relationships that I am aware of seems shorter than 18 months. Though that may be due to the fact that I’m older and time seems to pass quickly. So 18 months to, maybe, 2 years would be acceptable IMHO.

• Uh-oh, this can’t be good news for all those advocating that gays should have the same adoption rights. Hmmm…. :-?

• Once again I have to point out that El Jefe has WAY too much time on his hands.

• '19 Moderator

:o I as well find myself in possession of newly acquired knowledge I really didn’t want.

• This study reads to me a lot like the the pro-slavery studies that argued blacks were inferior to whites so slavery was okay. They would point out how few blacks in the US could read and write, and other clearly environmental factors as clear proof. Nevermind that the slaves being counted were denied access to any sort of formal education.

Homosexuals are denied the institution of marriage. So why is it surprising that they do not follow the rules of marriage.

Nevermind the statistics for heterosexual marriages that show infidelity rates as high as 70%, and divorce rates in excess of 50%. Clearly traditional marriage is a solid cornerstone institution of human civilization.

The study should have compared unmarried hetero couples versus homosexual couples since that would have been more accurate.

• What “environmental factors” contribute to gays getting divorced?

• Z,
    Your 70% and 50% are ficticious #s thrown out there by non-experts and accepted by experts to support their cause. Much like the ‘fact’ that “10% of the population is homosexual.” tudies in the US and France put the #s more between 1.5 and 3%.

Oh, and another problem for the homosexual community…

In Canada, they can now legally marry. So a small rush of homorriages(Ihave invented a new word) have occurred, due to visiting couples from the US. One thing they overlooked was that in order to get a divorce they must be legal residents of Canada for one year. Heard that on the news tis morning. (Heh-heh!)

• @Deviant:Scripter:

What “environmental factors” contribute to gays getting divorced?

Gays can’t get divorced.

• Why not?

Don’t tell me that it’s becuase they can’t get married, because they can and do in Canada.

• @El:

Z,
    Your 70% and 50% are ficticious #s thrown out there by non-experts and accepted by experts to support their cause. Much like the ‘fact’ that “10% of the population is homosexual.” tudies in the US and France put the #s more between 1.5 and 3%.

Well the 50% divorce rate (in the US) is clearly and accurately tracked by the US government since all marriages and divorces are registered with the government.

I will grant you that the 70% infidelity rate is the highest published estimate, and probably not reliable. Let’s put it at 10%, which is more likely. Its hard to accurately count adultery since you don’t have to register an affair with the government. If homosexuality is =< 3%, then all the gay people in America could get married and have sex outside of marriage, and there would still be more straight people having sex outside of marriage. So why is infidelity an issue in legalizing Gay marriage?

BTW, let’s just assume for the moment that only 1% of the population is gay. That’s still more than 2 milliion Americans that are Gay. That’s a lot of people.

Oh, and another problem for the homosexual community…

In Canada, they can now legally marry. So a small rush of homorriages(Ihave invented a new word) have occurred, due to visiting couples from the US. One thing they overlooked was that in order to get a divorce they must be legal residents of Canada for one year. Heard that on the news tis morning. (Heh-heh!)

Why is this a problem for the homosexual community? Such a minor restriction pales in comparison to the outright ban in the U.S. A.

• @Deviant:Scripter:

Why not?

Don’t tell me that it’s becuase they can’t get married, because they can and do in Canada.

They can’t get married in the US, and their marriage has no legal standing in the US. So US citizens that enter a same sex marriage in Canada and return to the US are legally not married. Hence they can not get divorced. But this is all a crazy legal aside.

What you are looking for is this. I was arguing that a study which compares homosexuals in long term relationships versus married heterosexuals is flawed because the homosexuals are not bound by the legal constrictions imposed by marriage. A better study would have compared unmarried heterosexual couples to homosexual couples.

• That’d be like comparing apples and oranges. The legal constrictions regarding marriage have little or no bearing on whether the relationship lasts or not. If you read closely, you’d notice the part about the Dutch study finding that on average, men have 8 sexual encounters per year outside of their relationship! You’ve got to be joking me! How can you call that a relationship at all!?!? :o

• I thought Vermont recognized same sex marriages, correct me if I am wrong. And I believe this will be a trend that many states will follow soon enough, as most of the states that still had somody as a crime abolished that finally. I just don’t understand how the US can be so forward looking on some things, then complete backwards on others like this issue.

• DS, Remember, “it depends on what the definition of the word” relationship is. And look who wants to redefine the definition of marriage!

Okay, Z. Maybe 50% now due to the liberal corruption of the family over the last 35-40 years of tearing down the value of family, commitment, 2-parent households and fathers. But how about compared to the last 200 years in the USA. And where, in the 2000 US Census, does it include the married couples of whom one or more members has died between 1990 and 2000… or both for that matter?!?

Those #s are incomplete, I am sure, as well as inaccurate due to incomplete documentation.

I should know. I was an area supervisor over a group of census takers. These census workers did not complete the job. It was my job to see that the data was complete, but after a certain point my supervisor said the job was done even though we both knew it was not.

Do not talk census to me. I can spit it back in your face…(facts, BAH!)

• '19 Moderator

I would also be interested to know the number of people who are divorced for the second third or ? time.

My mother for example has been divorced five times that I know of and my father twice. They are both currently married by the way.

I think my one 8year marrage should count a bit more that the 2 month marrage my mother had a few years ago.

• I think the huge divorce rate in America makes it hard to say any Race/Ethnic/Sexual/Economic group can’t land a successful marriage. For example, I have two cousins, sisters. One, who is straight, was engaged three times before getting married, and has been married for three weeks (we’ll see how long it lasts, I’m tempted to get a pool going). The other, who is a lesbian, has been wearing wedding bands (not legal in New Hampshire) for six years.

Knowing both of them, I would definately give adoption rights to the gay couple than the straight couple. Why? Stability, affection. In other words, despite the fact that they are gay, they would be better parents.

What am I trying to say here? Sexuality should be a factor in getting adoption rights, but it should not be terms for exlusion. What really matters is that the child gets adopted into a loving family.

• You think it’s healthier for a child to have two dads rather than a dad and a mom?

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m