• Marriage Protection Week, 2003
    By the President of the United States of America
    A Proclamation

Marriage is a sacred institution, and its protection is essential to the continued strength of our society. Marriage Protection Week provides an opportunity to focus our efforts on preserving the sanctity of marriage and on building strong and healthy marriages in America.

Marriage is a union between a man and a woman, and my Administration is working to support the institution of marriage by helping couples build successful marriages and be good parents.

To encourage marriage and promote the well-being of children, I have proposed a healthy marriage initiative to help couples develop the skills and knowledge to form and sustain healthy marriages. Research has shown that, on average, children raised in households headed by married parents fare better than children who grow up in other family structures. Through education and counseling programs, faith-based, community, and government organizations promote healthy marriages and a better quality of life for children. By supporting responsible child-rearing and strong families, my Administration is seeking to ensure that every child can grow up in a safe and loving home.

We are also working to make sure that the Federal Government does not penalize marriage. My tax relief package eliminated the marriage penalty. And as part of the welfare reform package I have proposed, we will do away with the rules that have made it more difficult for married couples to move out of poverty.

We must support the institution of marriage and help parents build stronger families. And we must continue our work to create a compassionate, welcoming society, where all people are treated with dignity and respect.

During Marriage Protection Week, I call on all Americans to join me in expressing support for the institution of marriage with all its benefits to our people, our culture, and our society.

NOW, THEREFORE, I, GEORGE W. BUSH, President of the United States of America, by virtue of the authority vested in me by the Constitution and laws of the United States, do hereby proclaim the week of October 12 through October 18, 2003, as Marriage Protection Week. I call upon the people of the United States to observe this week with appropriate programs, activities, and ceremonies.

IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I have hereunto set my hand this third day of October, in the year of our Lord two thousand three, and of the Independence of the United States of America the two hundred and twenty-eighth.

GEORGE W. BUSH

www.whitehouse.gov/news/r…03-12.html

your point?

GG

• I have a couple of ideas why this is brought up, however, as it is a guest and not one of our registered posters I have no idea where they’re coming from with it, therefore, I’d like to hear what they have to say about it.

• I think this is a step in the right direction to solidify what constitutes marriage.

• I think it is an admirable thing for the Administration to do, however, I think it is coming at a bad time. I suspect a lot of people will see it as a way to distract attention from other policies which they disagree with. Also:

Marriage is a union between a man and a woman

What about a union between a man and a man, or a woman and a woman? I ask because I would like to hear the spin they put on that-I figure someone’s going to raise h*** because of it.

• I’m not sure “marriage-protection week” is necessary, though I’m all in support elimination of the marriage penalty. :)

• @Grigoriy:

What about a union between a man and a man, or a woman and a woman? I ask because I would like to hear the spin they put on that-I figure someone’s going to raise h*** because of it.

This was addressed in the proclaimation. This “union” is not recognized. Bush is just clarifying to everyone that the Administration is not going to recognize anything but man/woman marriages.

• This was addressed in the proclaimation. This “union” is not recognized. Bush is just clarifying to everyone that the Administration is not going to recognize anything but man/woman marriages.

Exactly. I think they’re going to get in trouble for it, from someone (ACLU, for one)

• I have to wonder where this is coming from.
    And shock-y shock-y, Bush did something that i think i may agree with.
    As for the timing, it could not be more appropriate. I do not know if Bush pays any attention to what occurs in my country (Canada), but he may well be responding to a parliament decision to legalize gay/lesbian marriages . . . .

• @cystic:

I do not know if Bush pays any attention to what occurs in my country (Canada), but he may well be responding to a parliament decision to legalize gay/lesbian marriages . . . .

Canada as a trendsetter? Uh-oh… How long ago was the parliament’s decision? I seem to remember that, but not when it was.

• @Grigoriy:

@cystic:

I do not know if Bush pays any attention to what occurs in my country (Canada), but he may well be responding to a parliament decision to legalize gay/lesbian marriages . . . .

Canada as a trendsetter? Uh-oh… How long ago was the parliament’s decision? I seem to remember that, but not when it was.

we’re totally a trendsetter.
    This all happened several months ago. Around the time that we decriminalized marijuana . . . .

• @Anonymous:

we’re totally a trendsetter.
    This all happened several months ago. Around the time that we decriminalized marijuana . . . .

Possible connection there?

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m