Out of curiosity what do people here feel where the “weird age difference” begins…?

i.e. a 21 and a 29 year old getting married is fine but a 35 and a 21 year old getting married is just wrong!

What is your opinion? Or is it only the age the people are at?

GG

• I remember hearing some kind of crazy formula like (Guys age divided by 2 + 7 years) But still has to be legal age, of course.

Guys age    Girls age
    22              18
    30              22
    40              27
    50              32

For my part, I see younger folks as so irresponsible that I couldn’t imagine marrying someone less than three-five years younger.  My dad gave me a lot of good advice including … remember. you will be marrying the mother of your children.

• The thing isn’t the age difference. The thing is the maturity level, where they are in growing up and experiencing the world, of the younger person and what that person wants.

Many folks under 25 (especially those 18-22) change more in one year than those over 30 will change in ten.

Numerical age difference is just a guideline to how much growing someone might have to do yet.

To date and have fun age is irrelevant but the more growing the younger person has to do the greater chance a large age gap will lead to a short term relationship.

• @frimmel:

The thing isn’t the age difference. The thing is the maturity level, where they are in growing up and experiencing the world, of the younger person and what that person wants.

Many folks under 25 (especially those 18-22) change more in one year than those over 30 will change in ten.

Numerical age difference is just a guideline to how much growing someone might have to do yet.

To date and have fun age is irrelevant but the more growing the younger person has to do the greater chance a large age gap will lead to a short term relationship.

This is what I was going to say - the age difference may not be a big deal, but the specific age of each individual does.

GG, I have never been married, but I’ve dated some, been in love, and have a kid.  If there is a concern over stigma about an age difference, ignore it.  What matters is the relationship between the two people.

It’s not unlikely that people 15 years apart could fall in love, get married, and stay that way for the rest of their lives.  But as already stated, the younger the person, generally the less they know about themselves and the more they’ll change.

Most people would say getting married before 25, 30, even 35 is just dumb.  But I’ve seen 17 and 18 year olds that had the world in their palm and certainly could have handled being married.

Also remember that as you get older, the age difference must be larger before it is significant.  For example, 21 and 29 could be a sizable difference, but 71 and 79 aren’t far from each other at all.

Welcome back, GG.  :-)  If this is a personal question, my advice would be to wait, wait, wait to get married until you are absolutely sure and the other person is too.  Until then, date, date, date.

• Never mind her age, look at her tits. If they are big, just marry her.

• @Adlertag:

Never mind her age, look at her tits. If they are big, just marry her.

I did this!  I be marry for 5 year.  I still happy.

• I got engaged back in June…. it’s going to be a long engagement though, for many reasons.

I’m 33. She’s 25.

Neither she nor I have ever cared about the age difference.

Now… if she would’ve been under 21? Yeah… I might consider myself a cradle robbing weirdo.

• I don’t think a cookie cutter can be used to solve this problem.

It depends on the two people.

(For the record I was 19 and my wife was 18 when we got married in 2002.)

LT

• I was never that comfortable when my date turned out to be either too young or old for me.

My entire time in high school when I never dated (too poor), I viewed dating within the same class as normal… ie, freshman-freshman or senoir-senoir.  However, the social status of the younger usu got a major boost if they dated someone in an older class, while the status of the older usu took a minor hit.  More severe status hits were directly porportional to the age difference.

By the time I graduated, my Grandpa, who was a widower, remarried.  The new stepgrandma was younger than both my mom and one of her sisters.  In family gatherings, I could tell that my mom’s siblings were not very loving towards the new stepgrandma, yet stayed cordial for the duration of the visits.

By the time I was dating, there was an inner voice that would frequently tell me if someone I liked was too young.  If she was a bit older than me, the same voice would say “Impress your high schoool friends at the next reunion”.

Anyway, my wife was a year younger than me on our wedding day.  We are the same age after her birthday until mine, 3 months every year.

• My father-in-law celebrated his 40th birthday by marrying a 20 year old.

• @dinosaur:

My dad gave me a lot of good advice including … remember. you will be marrying the mother of your children.

Good sound advice.

I’m so wierd that I review a relationship much like a alliance between two countries. You do not want to join with a weak person that will bring you down. Example: If I were Germany I do not want to marry an Italy or old Austia-Hungary.

• @ABWorsham:

@dinosaur:

My dad gave me a lot of good advice including … remember. you will be marrying the mother of your children.

Good sound advice.

I’m so wierd that I review a relationship much like a alliance between two countries. You do not want to join with a weak person that will bring you down. Example: If I were Germany I do not want to marry an Italy or old Austia-Hungary.

In essence it’s the same thing just on a much smaller scale.

• Customizer

My 50 year old sister married her son’s 16 year old friend.

Beat that, Leslie.

• Man thats Jerry Springer stuff. geez…

• @Flashman:

My 50 year old sister married her son’s 16 year old friend.

Beat that, Leslie.

Sick!

Has the marriage lasted?

• @Adlertag:

Never mind her age, look at her tits. If they are big, just marry her.

That’s what I did and we are coming up on our 15th anniversary.  BTW, she is 35 and I am 42.

• Cougar with nice boobs.  Not a bad deal.  :-D

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m