FAQ - what questions would you like answered in the official FAQ?

• I’ll start this topic off (I already know the answer to most):

-When the Axis take Novosibirsk, do the Russians lose the 2 free infantry a turn there or do they attack the territory somehow?

-Do the Dutch rules (i.e. Suriname) work the same in Europe 1940 as they do in Global?  The UK moves a land unit in on non-combat and takes it?

-Is Eire or United Kingdom an island?  Why the hell not?

-My friend never wants to play as Italy!  How do I get him to?

-Does Germany still get the iron ore objective if Sweden is Allied-neutral?  As in I attacked the strict neutrals and it’s pro-Allied now?

-Why the Canadian roundels?  I’m not saying it’s not cool, though.

-If I ask permission to move units through an enemy canal or straight while I’m not at war with the power that controls it, how does that work?  Can the other player tell me what ships I may and may not move though it?  Do I have to move through if I asked?  Do I have to move the ships into the adjacent sea zone before I ask?  When do I ask, in other words what phase?  Once I have permission to use a canal or straight do I have that permission for the rest of the game?  Only until I am at war with that power?

• @robbie358:

I’ll start this topic off (I already know the answer to most):

-When the Axis take Novosibirsk, do the Russians lose the 2 free infantry a turn there or do they attack the territory somehow?

This is something i would like to know as well.

@robbie358:

-If I ask permission to move units through an enemy canal or straight while I’m not at war with the power that controls it, how does that work?  Can the other player tell me what ships I may and may not move though it?  Do I have to move through if I asked?  Do I have to move the ships into the adjacent sea zone before I ask?  When do I ask, in other words what phase?  Once I have permission to use a canal or straight do I have that permission for the rest of the game?  Only until I am at war with that power?

it just occurs to me while reading this, maybe one can pay an IPc or 2 to buy his way through such a strait (let’s be honest one does never get permission to pass), i might try this bribe technique next time. (then again, i might not, i’m stingy ;) )

• I’ll start this topic off (I already know the answer to most):
    When the Axis take Novosibirsk, do the Russians lose the 2 free infantry a turn there or do they attack the territory somehow?

Where does it say that you get 2 free infantry from Novosibirsk?

• @orcageo:

The political situation rules for the USSR on page 9 of the rulebook.  “When the Soviet Union is at war, place two infantry units in Novosibirsk during the Mobilize Units phase of each turn in which it mobilizes any units.”

Now it does say on page 22 under ‘Phase 5: Mobilize New Units’…  “Move the newly purchased units from the mobilization zone on the game board to eligible spaces you have controlled since the start of your turn.”  That could cover this, but we never know for sure until the FAQ comes out.

• Krieg has said elsewhere that Russia does not get the 2 inf if Novosib is captured

• @robbie358:

@orcageo:

The political situation rules for the USSR on page 9 of the rulebook.  “When the Soviet Union is at war, place two infantry units in Novosibirsk during the Mobilize Units phase of each turn in which it mobilizes any units.”

Now it does say on page 22 under ‘Phase 5: Mobilize New Units’…  “Move the newly purchased units from the mobilization zone on the game board to eligible spaces you have controlled since the start of your turn.”  That could cover this, but we never know for sure until the FAQ comes out.

Key sentence: “each turn in which it mobilizes any units

If a country’s capital is captured it skips all phases except Move/Combat/Non-Combat Move (page 20). Thus it does not go through the Mobilize New Units phase, thus it does not place the 2 inf on Nov.

• Another one I’d like to see is…

-Especially for the purposes of National Objectives, please define the terms “Warships” and “Surface Warships” exactly, as in give a list of what specific units constitute these terms.

I wonder out loud here about these things, like how do aircraft carriers convoy disrupt if they can’t attack?  Do the planes on them count whatsoever?  Is a submarine a warship for the purposes of the USSR NO?  Why does that NO say “warships”, does this mean you need to have more than one ship in SZ125 to erase the NO?

• @robbie358:

Another one I’d like to see is…

-Especially for the purposes of National Objectives, please define the terms “Warships” and “Surface Warships” exactly, as in give a list of what specific units constitute these terms.

I wonder out loud here about these things, like how do aircraft carriers convoy disrupt if they can’t attack?  Do the planes on them count whatsoever?  Is a submarine a warship for the purposes of the USSR NO?  Why does that NO say “warships”, does this mean you need to have more than one ship in SZ125 to erase the NO?

The armament of the CV is simplified for the game, but they weren’t exactly defenseless.  The CV has defensive value, so just like you can’t attack a carrier with just a transport and it blocks transport movement, a carrier will block the “supply transports” that are implied in a convoy zones, therefore it disrupts the convoy.

Planes don’t count.  If they did a carrier essentially deducts 3 as they’re rarely empty, which defeats the purpose of the subs’ bonus (the true convoy threat).

Plurality is irrelevant as it’s refering to the number of types (destroyer and/or cruiser and/or sub and/or battleship and/or carrier).  It does not refer to a group of ships such that you would need more than one for the NO.

Warships - any naval unit except a transport.
    Surface warships - any naval except a sub and transport.

• Official Q&A

@robbie358:

See page 28 of the Rulebook.

@robbie358:

I wonder out loud here about these things, like how do aircraft carriers convoy disrupt if they can’t attack?  Do the planes on them count whatsoever?

This was a matter of simplification of the rules.  It was decided that carriers would disrupt convoys and their planes would be counted as a part of that disruption.  This allowed warships only to disrupt convoys without bringing carrier plane loads into it.

• I suppose I should’ve called this thread “MY own personal questions about A&A rules answered in vague terms by other users who don’t contribute questions of thier own” instead of putting anything about the official FAQ on it.

So how exactly do I explain to the other people I play A&A with about everyone’s two-cent rules clarifications if it’s not in an FAQ from Wizards?

• @robbie358:

I suppose I should’ve called this thread “MY own personal questions about A&A rules answered in vague terms by other users who don’t contribute questions of thier own” instead of putting anything about the official FAQ on it.

So how exactly do I explain to the other people I play A&A with about everyone’s two-cent rules clarifications if it’s not in an FAQ from Wizards?

If you want an official answer, use the G40 FAQ

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m