• You people are a little too yuppie & upscale for me. Give me a case of Busch beer and I’m in heaven!!

• Maddog, you know what American beer and sex in a canoe have in common?

They are both f’ing close to water :-P

• @ncscswitch:

Maddog, you know what American beer and sex in a canoe have in common?

Amen to that.

@MADDOGG:

You people are a little too yuppie & upscale for me. Give me a case of Busch beer and I’m in heaven!!

Well, I’m “old Europe” by birth and by location, so there’s no “yuppie& upscale” to that.

Just the liquid expression of historical supremacy :D.

• Yuengling, Honey Brown, Sam Adams, all GOOD American beers. Damn good.

• And all just poor imitations of their European superiors :-P

• @ncscswitch:

Maddog, you know what American beer and sex in a canoe have in common?

are you Canadian??
    Because this is a standard saying over here.

Of course American beer is more accessible to Canadians than Canadian beer because we can get it in the supermarket - i think we call it Snapple.

• LOL!  No, I just think that is my genetics talking to my taste buds… I come from a long line of very short Bavarians (and the obligatory great grandmother who was Crow).  GOOD beer is in my genes.

And the fact that my Father was a regional sales rep for Christian Scmhidt’s for a few years… well lets just say I leanred all about American beer during that time…

• please…nothing but unfounded snobbery. Budweiser, Miller, Coors, and all their cheap varieties are bad american beer, and unfortunately, too widely drank (drunk?). but they should not be made to represent american beer. Sam Adams, Yuengling, and Honey Brown are all fine beers, on par with the Canadian and European beers ive tried. I dont think anyone would dispute that Europe has the best beer, but there is absolutely nothing wrong with those american varieties ive listed.

• OK, I’ll admit it… I drink Yuengling or Sam Adams IF the bar I am at does not have either Newcastle or Fosters.  Though my wife complains that Yuengling smells like old mop water… and if I DO have a Yuengling (or 2), I won’t get lucky that evening as a result.

If that is not a reason to avoid American Beer, I don;t know what is :-D

• psh…you are just one of those “i only drink imported beer” types, who dislikes american beer because its american. i like GOOD beer, wherever its from. and yuengling, honey brown, and sam adams are GOOD beer.

• Not true… there are a few American beers I enjoy… Saranack (not sure of spelling) Amber Lager and Flying Dog’s amber lager :-)

And I’ll admit it, I even drink the occasional Rolling Rock when I am visiting family in PA :-P

• @AgentSmith:

Switch - Did you know Newcastle funds rehabilitation centers for alcoholics at their HQ?  Well, maybe not at the plant itself, but somewhere in town…  I call that responsible drinking!

Did you know the Cult Awareness Network that is supposed to help get family members out of cults is run by the Church of Scientology?  Not a slight on the Church if the eye of the big brother of the Church is watching.  Scientology and its people are totally sane, not crazy and great people. 8-)

The only way this relates to the topic is that Scientology makes me want to get extremely drunk and vomit on myself.  But, yeah, scary…

• There are plenty of American beers to be proud of, it’s just that the big names are terrible…
    However, try a Budweiser when you are in Europe - it’s a completely different beer and will knock you on your @$$!  Amstel light was MUCH better in Paris that what I’ve had here.

Janus - I double checked: Heineken is indeed a lager.  If it’s not dark and complex, it’s usually a Pilsner-Urquell rip off (the most imitated beer, which is a lager).  I still recommend the other Sam - Sammie Smith - it’s good, but it’s imported and little more expensive.  Try the Oatmeal Stout, you underage rebel.  :-D

No love for sake?  Anyone?

• Jermo- my mistake, i was thrown off by its light, crisp taste. so, ive found the exception to my lager rule  :-D
    Sam Smith huh? Ill keep an eye out for it whenever I get my beer, but I dont expect I’ll be able to find it for another 3 years, being underage, my suppliers are few and far between. Oatmeal Stout sounds quite tasty, however, and Ill give it a try if I ever find it  :wink:

Sake, ive had it chilled, didnt care for it, but ive heard its best enjoyed warm, so I havent made a judgement yet.

• @Janus1:

Jermo- my mistake, i was thrown off by its light, crisp taste. so, ive found the exception to my lager rule  :-D
    Sam Smith huh? Ill keep an eye out for it whenever I get my beer, but I dont expect I’ll be able to find it for another 3 years, being underage, my suppliers are few and far between. Oatmeal Stout sounds quite tasty, however, and Ill give it a try if I ever find it  :wink:

It’s as tasty as it sounds, but any Sam Smith is a good beer.

Sake, ive had it chilled, didnt care for it, but ive heard its best enjoyed warm, so I havent made a judgement yet.

It depends on the sake.  Some are designed to serve cool and some warm.  Room temperature isn’t bad either.  But like anything, there is good and bad sake, and drinking bad sake warm usually helps its taste.  I prefer warm - it adds an extra kick to it - plus the ritual of warming the sake and portioning it out is quite fun.  Also, I read somewhere that sake lacks a certain amino acid (I don’t remember which one at the moment) that is common in other alcohol which contributes to hangovers when metabolized.  Not to say you will feel like crap the next day if you drink too much (still have to deal with dehydration and lost nutrients), but it’s nice to know. :-)

• most clear liquors, in general, are less likely to cause a hangover than dark liquors. i dont begin to know why, but i would imagine the “impurities” and other ingredients in darker liquors contribute to the hangover effect, while clearer liquors are more “pure”. vodka is one of the least likely alcohols to cause a hangover, and there are some that the makers claim will not cause a hangover. ive read reviews that say this is exaggerated, but that it was still a very good “clean” liquor, and the slight hangover it caused was very mild and short-lived in comparison. <shrug>i just drink a couple bottles of water, or some gatorade before bed, and i feel right in the morning after a night of drinking.</shrug>

• @Janus1:

most clear liquors, in general, are less likely to cause a hangover than dark liquors. i dont begin to know why, but i would imagine the “impurities” and other ingredients in darker liquors contribute to the hangover effect, while clearer liquors are more “pure”. vodka is one of the least likely alcohols to cause a hangover, and there are some that the makers claim will not cause a hangover. ive read reviews that say this is exaggerated, but that it was still a very good “clean” liquor, and the slight hangover it caused was very mild and short-lived in comparison. <shrug>i just drink a couple bottles of water, or some gatorade before bed, and i feel right in the morning after a night of drinking.</shrug>

I’m sure impurities are part of it, but then you are talking more about the quality of the alcohol than it’s color.  The additional additives may embellish the effect of alcohol or have their own detriment to your health.  Kind of like the herbs beside wormwood in absinthe - they reinforce the effect of the wormwood, but have their own properties as well (just milder).  I’d say the reason why most people make herbal extracts with clear spirits vs. darker ones would relate to the hangover in relation to drink color as well.  Anyway, if anyone claims you won’t have a hangover after drinking their alcohol, they are either misleading you, or going on a technicality - drink enough vodka of any kind and I’m sure you’ll feel it the next day (but let me acknowledge still that some vodka is superior to others)…

• I’m sure impurities are part of it, but then you are talking more about the quality of the alcohol than it’s color.

no, you misunderstand. I didnt mean impurities insofar as the quality of the alcohol is concerned, but in the sense of anything added to the process for color, flavoring, etc. though i agree with you, the color is not necessarily what causes it, I just use that as a reference, since as a general rule, the darker the liquor, the more likely to cause a hangover compared to drinking a comprable amount of a clearer liquor, and the more severe the hangover will be.

• A notable exception being clear tequilla…

:mrgreen:

• Well, tequila is still quite a “dirty” drink, as far as the quality is concerned.

For example, good vodkas- best among the brands you can buy in the western world is stolichnaya- are being filtered multiple times using activated-carbon filters.

In general: there are less suspended particles in one bottle of vodka than in one shotglass of brandy- that’s why you are less likely to get a vodka hangover.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m