German Opener/Strategy (Slightly long-winded)

• Hannibal, I think you should czech out the Traditional vs. Alternate thread. I can tell you right now that I think Alternate is far superior; the real reason the game was made.

• Cool. I’ll check it out. :)

• The Key to the German side of fall of Moscow involves Archangel

My advice, and AgentO would probably agree with me: stay away from Archangel and Karelia. The Brits will squash any surviving units you power into these zones. You may take them, but will leave yourself vunerable to British Amphibious counter-attack. And hel, they’re only worth 4 IPC’s collectively. Caucasus is the Key for ultimate German victory; everything else you said seems right on though!

• The man makes a good point. Think of it like this. Russia goes first, right? So that right there is a disadvantage for Germany. Now, if Germany ever takes and holds Caucasus, Russia will fall. Or, at the very least, they will no longer be counted as a nation that can do anything about Germany, because it would be stupid to try and send units towards Berlin when the Nazis control a 4 value IC right next to Moscow. As long as Germany holds Caucasus, Russia is in deep trouble. :evil:

• The road to Caucaus is paved with good intentions… And many, many dead soldiers.

In my experience, albeit limited, I have found that an assault on Caucaus results in a direct counterattack from Moscow, depleting Germany dramatically, and further, that by not reinforcing the coast line essentially means that Brittan is unchecked as they slide troops, after troops into Russia. These man stack up, behind the men Russia is already dropping, and lead to Germany being beaten back, slowly but surely by combined forces that are overwhelming.

I understand that the Brittish are capable of launching an amphibious assault, but with some foresight, such an assault can lead to the destruction of their fleet, cutting off both their ties to the mainland, as well as their reinforcement of Russia; Further, drawing men -away- from Caucaus, and -directly- threatening Moscow -leads- to the fall of Caucaus.

The Russians are forced to retreat directly to their capital for fear of it falling, while Germany can then slide in to take that southern Factory…

…So. I went ahead and gave that afforementioned strategy a try, this Sunday. Our game had several rough edges that need some definite fine tuning, but I’m happy to say it was a victory for the Axis. :)

I’m going to continue plugging away at it, and I’ll let you all know how it turns out!

• That’s good news! All I can say to further push my point is: Note that I said if Germany takes and keeps Caucasus. At that point, Caucasus just becomes a thorn in Russia’s side, because they’ll always be worried about a German IC right next door, and they won’t be attacking many gray territories (if any) until they re-take Caucasus, or get defeated.

• Yeah! Definitely pretty exciting!

• A couple of thoughts… I agree, taking caucas is key, get that factory, and if it looks like russia will be able to get it back, have japan land all its planes in there, usually around 4-6 planes can help defend and keep it yours.

Also, you mentioned a Pearl Harbor being counter attacked by the americans… there really shouldnt be one, dont send in any BBs or trannies, just use that sub, the DD, and planes and bombers. Think of it as more of a strafing attack.

Trannies are needed as japan in the beginning, but as soon as theyve cleared off all of japans islands, use them to take alaska.

As germany, I might not buy infantry first round, if it works for you great, but one time you should just buy straight tanks for as many rounds as it seems possible. Plus, if russia was able to attack karelia, you would have nothing in range of making him pay for it, a first round purchase of tanks makes it posible for you to counter attack it. A stack of 25 tanks with a couple inf. and yer planes can be enuf to take russia down (sometimes). Also, I thought the amount of troops you were using in the first round defence of w.eur was too much. I would prolly use that baltic tranny to place another tank in karelia or something… also, I wouldnt buy 2 subs a round as germany, just get mo’ tanks! :P

• I like the idea of Japan landing planes in Germany’s territory, especially in Caucasus if Germany owns it. 4-6 planes, however, sounds like all of Japan’s available air force? That’s cool, as long as Japan doesn’t leave their soft underbelly exposed. :wink:

• Indeed it would only be a strategy to be used if REALLY needed, but could be whats needed to win.

• ok,my advice for ger is simple.u MUST attack with every unit that is available for attack evrywhere.

now more detailed.dont worry about the ruskies concentrate on that allied navy.destroy the uk bb in med, and while ur at it use the trasp along with 1 fighter from balk or ukr(not sure where it comes from but dont use one of the west coast of ger) and have nside the transp 2 inf to offload at africa.if u have a lucky roll use the inf and art in and tank on north africa towards egypt.if u get uk to lose 1 or 2 units for all yours is in your favor.let hime keep his plane,you dont mind.remember that this units could be transported to india via the transp he has.so you help ur ally by sacrificing some stuff.now back to that nal battle,dont even think to lose the loaded transp-just kill the fighter is necessary.u can use there also the sub.use ur baltic ships to put them next to the uk.ur goal is to kill the uk and us fleet and rest ur back.then russia. :wink:

remember that the russian is no threat to u in the first 2 rounds.let hime try and capture all he can.if u see fi just make counterattacks and graps back what YOU lose.dont go yet for russia.the first 2 rounds of ger shoul be concetrated imo to the uk and the us fleet.sacrifice planes and ships to destroy that fleet,while at the same time buy air reinforc at the rate of 2 planes per turn at least.the rest goes into tanks and inf(art if u play advantages and get that amazing 3def for arts!!).

remember,russia will not hold on too much against u.if there is no naval force to releif it from its allies the game is over.dont think to reinforce ur fleet though unlees u see the uk do it.my guess is the us will try to help the uk with ships but japan and its grasp of the asia will be a dilema.

anyway thats all…

ps:if u feel lucky and dont mind ruining the game just buy 8 dices in the first round and go for long range.attack uk with 1tank and 1 inf and all planes possible.if russia hasnt killed any ull have 5 fight and i bomb.it doenst matter if they take it back because ull do exactly the same thing in the next round and take it back again.even if u loss 3-4 planes or more, the trans from the med can come allong with the bb to help the new invasion.i dont played that type anymore though cause it ruins the game.its a shame that the uk is left so helpless.

have fun and tell me if it worked out for u!!ger is the most fun country to play imo!!

greekgeneral

• Hi Hannibal (ante portas),

In fact, I agree with pretty much you said. Surely I couldn’t keep up with your tactical understanding when A&A was new to me. So congratulations at first.
    Nevertheless there’s some more input. Just my humble opinion:

1. Except of the Baltic AC in your first round, ships usually don’t buy for Germany. If you really want to build 1-2 Subs/Trans in the Baltic each turn you’ll have to stay there with your own navy or they’ll be sunk immediately with british airforce. UK and US can together close you up in the Baltic and wait for your attack, of course it will be costly for them, but usually more expensive for you.

2. You are quite right about going through the north is a superior strategy. Karelia is a very strong position for both sides. As the axis you should take and hold it in the first round. UK has different options to support Russia. His support in NWY can be strafed to death by your forces in Karelia. Better to cut of your supply lines in EEU after your Baltic fleet is removed. Or, most likely, he can support Archangel, so you’ll meet the main UK/Rus forces in ARC.
      If you wanna go south through UKR, Russia will concentrate it’s forces in CAU and the UK can take a lot of your income away from you. You won’t be able to trade more than one territory with Russia (WRU), but it’s harder for Russia to trade a lot of countries (due to the max. of 3 Ftrs)
      In fact, I most likely wait in KAR until the japanese player puts preassure on Russia which forces the allies to retreat on my front, then I take a step into WRU.

3. Don’t underestimate a US counterattack on Pearl Harbour. Especially if the go KJF it’s very hard to replace your lost navy again. An aggressive british opening in the Pacific and a Pearl counter, 2 ICs in IND and SIN and Japan is in big trouble.

4. You are quite lucky that your Russian player is rather predictable. Maybe he should be more aggressive, attack UKR, build some tanks or even a Ftr, etc.

These are just my opinions and can, of course, vary in different games and against different ways to play. I hope this gives you some input.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m