• So Yanny, if I point out that Italians like pasta am I being racist? If I point out the Irish tend to be over-represented in the Irish Repulican Army is that racist? Al-Qaeda tends to have more muslims than Hindus, oh boy, better send out the polictical correctness police….

American sentiment has nothing to do with Emugod. Since they have nothing to do with each other, why did you mention that versus some other irrelevant fact like sugar is sweet.

So you are saying the bombing of US marines in Lebanon was NOTHING to do with muslim sentiment about the so-called “US occupation force”. Really? Any facts to back up that wild statement that flies in the face of all kinds of documented facts? As usual you offer nothing but your own feelings as fact. Tsk, tsk. You’re such a smart person, it’s a shame you don’t spend a few minutes to back up your opinions with some references.

The word jihad is somewhat unique to Muslims. It seems the opposite and rather more noble that crusade. I hope you don’t think me racist to point out a difference.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/1603178.stm

BB

• Your saying that saying “Muslims resist occupation more than any other group” is a fact, than your simple wrong. The group under the harshest occupation (Palestine) are simple in the spotlight.

The Irish employed similar tactics, language, and motive in Northern Ireland, where they were being occupied by England. Are they Muslims? No. Are they resisting occupation just the same? Yes.

The Hebrews in first century Rome terrorized Roman civilians, poisoned the rivers and wells, killed Roman Government officals, burning down Roman settlements, and committing suicide in mass numbers. Were they Muslim? No.

Muslims who do commit acts and claim they are doing it for Islaam are either a) Misinformed (brainwashed by people with ill intent) or b) lieing. Never in the history of the religion has any Muslim movement gone this far. Just as Reverend Falwell’s following do not represent Christians, these people do not represent Muslims.

• Just out of curiosity, name one successful country who’s majority of people are muslim…? I’m having trouble thinking of one.

• Define Successful.

• The religion muslims practice has special sections for telling the faithful to resist occupation not only in your country but in other ‘occupied muslim countries’. This is more true of that religion then the religion of christians. I am not saying it is right or wrong, moral or immoral. To note this fact is not to be racist. This is a fact dispite your claims to the countrary. Emugod pointed this out as a difference, Yanny, you are the one who is trying to trump this up into a racist attack that it is not. shrugs.

As for defince successful, do you really need it defined to you? The tactict of answering a question with a question is tiring.

Try this, take any measure of success you want and rank the muslim countries in order and take the top 5 and post them. Now compare the lot of their average citizens with the lot of the average european or north american or many in the asia-pacific rim. The leaders of most muslim countries have done a great dis-service to their citizens.

BB

• Thanks BB, that’s what I was eventually getting at. :P

• Heres an attempt:

As of today:

1. Turkey (Democracy, not badly off)
    2. Indonesia (Democracy, fairly well off)
    3. Pakistan (Militarily and Economically well off despite brutal despot)
    4. Saudi Arabia (Rich as hell, even brutaller rulers)
    5. Kuwait (Rich, not-so-bad despot)

Of course, comparing Muslim countries to the west is flawed. The West is in it’s prime right now. The west is not doing so well because they are Christian. Religion has nothing to do with it. I can look back in history to times where the situation was reversed, as I already have in other threads and I will not bore you by typing it out again. Saying “Muslims resist occupation” is erroneous because everyone resists occupation.

• The west is not doing so well because they are Christian.

Huh?

• @BigBlocky:

So Yanny, if I point out that Italians like pasta am I being racist? If I point out the Irish tend to be over-represented in the Irish Repulican Army is that racist? Al-Qaeda tends to have more muslims than Hindus, oh boy, better send out the polictical correctness police….

American sentiment has nothing to do with Emugod. Since they have nothing to do with each other, why did you mention that versus some other irrelevant fact like sugar is sweet.

@BigBlocky:

I am not saying it is right or wrong, moral or immoral. To note this fact is not to be racist. This is a fact dispite your claims to the countrary. Emugod pointed this out as a difference, Yanny, you are the one who is trying to trump this up into a racist attack that it is not. shrugs.

I think this is sailing in very dangerous waters. Even a message that is “only stating facts” can deliver anotehr message of personal opinion in there (as frequently seen and done on this board by IMHO all of us).

Why is this dangerous? Because you quickly can provoke “over-reaction” and over-use of political correctness. But then, can there be over-use if you (personally) feel that the provoking statement is such incorrect that you want to correct it?

Just remember the thread/discussion i started with SUD the otehr day: I “just noted facts”, and SUD -though not denying all the facts- argued that the implication that followed noting only these facts and no others is incorrect.

Just my 2 €-cent….

• Quote:
    The west is not doing so well because they are Christian.

Huh?

I believe you misread me. To reword it, “The West is not doing well as a result of being Christian”

• I believe you misread me. To reword it, “The West is not doing well as a result of being Christian”

Okay, I guess I heard you correctly then. However, the part I’m confused about is, how is the West not doing so well?

• I think he means the West is doing well not as a result of being Christian.

• Is it that hard…

Christianity is not the cause or a factor in the West’s greatness.

• I agree with you 100%, the West is not doing well because it is christian because it really isn’t that christian. It is a well known fact that A) the percentage of westerns who are religious is small and B) Christianity represents a much smaller percentage number in the west then the percentage of middle-easterners being muslim.

As soon as nations get out of the business of religion and concentrate on things that benefit many for the cost the better. The moment western nations seperated church and state it unleashed the natural potential of the humanity in these areas.

Personally I don’t think of killing muslims who visit the vatican, I get a bit offended when some minorities suggest that killing westeners in Mecca is OK because they are infidels in a holy place.

It’s weird because historically Islam has been extremely tolerant of other religions. The moors ruling parts of Spain around the 14th century were pretty good rulers and tolerant of religion. It’s a shame a few can hijack a noble religion.

BB

• Exactly Bigblocky. You said it better than I ever could. Its not the nature of the Religion which is the problem, its the nature of Religion itself. The Muslims are going through right now exactly what the Christians did in the middle ages. We can’t blame the Religion itself, we must blame the evil people who are manipulating the Religion. Let us remember, taken literally, both Christianity and Islaam are Fascist in their beliefs.

• I assume you mean fascist. But you are wrong, you should probably look up the meaning of that word (besides the spelling) before using it.
    Fascism: a totalitarian governmental system led by a dictator and emphasizing an aggressive nationalism and often racism.

Both christianity and islam are religions of peace. They haven´t been practiced that way because their messages have been twisted. There is nothing racist in the Bible (I haven´t the Koran). At best you will find examples of sexism in the writings of Paul.

• I wrote a threads called “God is a Fascist” a while back. If I had the time, I’d link it to you. But I gota leave, now.

• I fail to see how anti-Muslim sentiment is racist. There is no Muslim race. Muslims are Arabs, Persians, Turks, Africans, Afro-Caucasians, etc. Some are even Caucasians. It may be a prejudiced sentiment, but it’s not racism. The Palestinians and Jews are both Semites, for goodness sake. Race and religion often have nothing to do with one another. This is one of those cases.

Why choose NYC as a site for an Al-Qaeda attack when there as many Muslims in NYC as there are in the largest cities of some other countries? Because NYC is mostly white people instead of brown? Because there’s alarge Jewish population, too? Because it’s easily noticed and is centrla to the Western way of life? Because the building hit were the tallest in the world, and in the opionion of the attackers showed a Babel-style pride?

Please don’t tell me that anyone seriously believes it’s because NYC is a haven for white people, if there actually are still more white than nonwhite people in NYC. It’s not racism. It’s religion. It’s politics. It’s economics. It’s a lot of things. It’s not racism.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m