• This is a great old black and white movie with James Garner and Julie Andrews.  It takes place right before D-day.  It is really hard to tell you what the movie is about exactly, but it is great.  In short, James Garner is an American  officer who is a self proclaimed coward, and Julie Andrews is his British love intrest who is caught up in the whole idea of “honor, nobility, courage”.  The 2 play off each other really well.  Was just wondering if anyone on this board has ever seen it.  My favorite part of the movie (which I have pretty much memorized).

You American haters bore me to tears miss baurm.  Oh yes, I know all about us crass harbingers from the states.  We race around your old cathedrals, we talk too loud, we over tip, we think we can buy anything with a Hershey Bar.

I’ve worked around Eurupeans all my life.

I’ve had Germans and Italians tell me how politicaly ingenuious we are.  And perhaps so.  But we still haven’t managed a Hitler or a Mussolini yet.

I have had French men call me a savage for only taking a half hour for lunch.  Miss barum, the only reason the French take 2 hours for lunch is because the service in their restaruants is lousy.

But the most tedious lot are you British.  We crass Americans did not introduce war to your little island.  No miss barum, this war, that we Americans are so insensitive to is the direct result of over 2000 years of Eurupean greed, superstion, stupidity and barbarism.  So don’t blame our coke-o-cola bottles.  Eurupe was a growing brothle long before we came to town.

So lay off miss barum, either pick a frock or get out.  It’s not my job to listen to your sentimental missgivings.

Love that speech!

If you haven’t seen the movie, you should check it out.  If you have, love to hear what anyone has to say about it.

• I’ve read a book with satires written 1925.ish … and there is one text about the arrogance that USans display when they are touring Europe. … Seems like that thing is older than we are.

• and while unfortunately true of too many americans, its also true of people from other countries (particularly western europe) when touring the US

• @Janus1:

and while unfortunately true of too many americans, its also true of people from other countries (particularly western europe) when touring the US

Oddly enough, when i have toured the US i have met NO western Europeans.  The occassional other Canuck, but other than that - just other USies.

• I’ve come across Europeans (as well as Japanese) here in the states.  I have even had some French houseguests for a couple of weeks before.  I’ve only noticed them either at some vacation spot (New York City or the Grand Canyon) or when they are staying with someone I know or at the airport.  It is difficult to see someone on the street and identify them as European without even speaking with them.

• Goto a technical college.  A lot of non-Americans hang out there.

• Well for me it was odd as i went to typically touristic places - Disney, Harper’s Ferry and a few Civil War sites, Arches Park near Moab Utah, as well as various places in South Dakota.  Also i’m pretty chatty - i like meeting people, and i do everywhere i travel and make great friends.  Still - no non-USies did i meet while travelling in the US.  Just a weird coincidence.

• @cystic:

Well for me it was odd as i went to typically touristic places - Disney, Harper’s Ferry and a few Civil War sites, Arches Park near Moab Utah, as well as various places in South Dakota.  Also i’m pretty chatty - i like meeting people, and i do everywhere i travel and make great friends.  Still - no non-USies did i meet while travelling in the US.  Just a weird coincidence.

You must of just had “bad” luck when going to Disney, I worked there for 2 semestesr and was just there over labor day - lots of Eurpeans.  Hell, go to EPCOT, all of the people there working the foriegn countries are straight from their original country.

I remember 15 years ago (god am I old) I was working and had to take a lost child to main street in the Magic Kingdom (that is where we take them).  It was so heart wrenching, this poor little french girl was so scared and I could say nothing to her because she did not speak English.  When they find a lost child that does not speak English they call a call center with people who are versed in all languages who told her to come with me.  She was holding my hand and I could feel her trembling.

I am getting off the point.  Just suprised you didn’t see any non Americans at Disney (there are a bunch).  Call it whatever you want, but since my Disney experience I have a dislike for Brazilian tourist (long story).

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m