Lift the Cuban economic sanctions

• Why?

The Cold War is over. The Cubans present absolutely no threat to the United States. The Cubans are willing to open up to the west. The sanctions are benefiting no one. By lifting them, the United States would gain a closeby and fairly empty market for it’s goods, and the Cubans would get some much needed foreign investment.

Not much else to say. What do you guys think?

• I wouldn’t lift anything while Castro is still in power.

• i think that the sanctions are nice to have in place. It allows for increased trade and exports for Canada, as well as a vacation place sans Americans.

• LOL @ cystic crypt…

Probably a good thing for folks to have a vacation spot without Americans (well except for the neo-Communist ones). But to me its kind of a complicated issue. Since we can’t invade (politically speaking), US-only sanctions are basically a vindictive half-measure that only serves to strengthen Fidel Castro’s regime (my God I can’t believe I’m talking about Castro–how freaking old is this this guy !?!). At the same time I find it kind of odious to trade with such a regime. But oh well, if sanctions only hurt the people, why not open up Cuba to US trade? The sanctions are doing no good & are detrimental to the US & Cuba. Let’s lift them & hope that the exposure to American culture shows Cubans that hey–maybe we are not so bad after all!

Ozone27

• They already know we’re a wonderful country. Why do you think so many of them are coming over here on rafts? :(

• @Deviant:Scripter:

They already know we’re a wonderful country. Why do you think so many of them are coming over here on rafts? :(

i’d say “to escape communism”, but given that utopian ideal, i’d probably be mistaken and have to go with “Brittany Spears”.

• The US view:

Cuba is a communist totalitarian state that violates human rights. We must punish them with ecomonic sacntions to force them to change their ways.

China is a communist totalitarian state that violates human rights. We must trade with them so they can see that we promote change.

My mom and her boyfriend have spent 2 weeks in Cuba every winter for 4 years now, they love it. Cubans are far more literate and healthy then they were as an economic/colonial puppet of mainly US but many other interests as well.

Castro obviously has many faults, the regime does need to be changed but sanctions don’t make sense. Actually, all they do is keep Castro in power. It seems counter-productive and part of it is do to lots of Cubans voting for silly things. Trying to keep that kid from his dad when his mom kidnapped him and died on a raft coming to the US was stupid.

The US does some really good things then for some reason they do little petty things that raise the ire of others.

BB

• Cubans come over on rafts, and we take them. But anyone from the rest of the region cannot come over, thats why we see more Cubans coming.

Cubans come here for the same reason Mexicans come, because they can easily, and they can make a buck.

• Lots of people come to the US from lots of good countries. Canada for instance (yeah I’m biased, so what!) sends lots of people to the US. Some might say it’s because we are communist but that’s a bit of a stretch. A fair number of Americans come to Canada. By some people’s logic that implies the US is communist or has bad human rights. Hmmm, the US voted along with Iran, Iraq, Libya and Syria against a human rights world court, interesting company but I digress.

We all know that when its raining your driveway is wet. But, just because your driveway is wet does not prove it’s raining out.

BB

• Well, the difference with Canadians is that they tend to come here legally. Mexicans and Cubans, however, choose to come here illegally, which is what I have a problem with.

Want citizenship in this fine ocuntry? Stand in line like you should.

• From what I know, you can’t enter the US illegally as a Cuban, aren’t all automatically granted refugee status?

Legal or illegal has nothing to do with why they come. They don’t come BECAUSE it is illegal, they want a better life. But not all who want a better life come from communist or totalitarian states as was implied.

US agriculture relies on illegal migrant workers. They factor this into their plans. The problem is most people in Canada and the US are too lazy to work picking fruit and veggies. Trust me, I live in an agricultural area of Ontario. We get people to pick fruit from the dominican republic while lazy canadians collect wellfare because they wouldn’t work that hard for minimum wage. That of course is 8 bucks and hour with health benefits universal to all Canadians. You won’t get rich for sure but……

I agree that new citizens ought to stand in line, but, don’t prevent people from coming in, then budget on illegal migrant workers then feign shock that there are so many mexicans working on farms.

BB

• I’ve got no problem with them coming here, much less them working on farms. That’s their choice. But it’s also their choice to do the paperwork and take the tests or choose to jump a fence.

Illegal migrant workers need to go back to where they came from. Yes, you heard me right: ILLEGAL migrant workers need to go back to their own country. :evil:

LEGAL workers, on the other hand, have every right to be here, and I hope they succeed. Coming to make a life in America is not a gauranteed “right” for immigrants, it’s a privelage. It’s a privelage that they need to earn, by at least respecting our laws.

If we can’t even keep track of people who pick apples for a living, how are we supposed to keep track of people who kill Americans for a living?

• @Deviant:Scripter:

Illegal migrant workers need to go back to where they came from. Yes, you heard me right: ILLEGAL migrant workers need to go back to their own country. :evil:

Ohm…. just some trivia knowledge:
    most illegal migrants in Australia are from the Uk and the US…

• @F_alk:

@Deviant:Scripter:

Ohm…. just some trivia knowledge:
    most illegal migrants in Australia are from the Uk and the US…

i knew a woman from Canada who was kicked out for the Sidney olympics.

• I doubt that the sanctions will be lifted as Castro is rated to be one of the top 10 worst dictators in the world bythe United States.

• We sell weapons to worse dictators. Castro isn’t bad compared to the Saudi royal family, or “President” Musharoff (sp?) of Pakistan. Because Cuba is communist, people see them as a threat. But the terrorist sponsering family of despots? Naw, let them enjoy the desert.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m