• That wasn’t exactly what I was asking. :)

• OOPS! :oops:
    Restraint!
    What’s that? :-?

Maybe the leaders who met in the Azores represent the
    Permanent Members of the Security Council of the
    New World Order!

• Spain… #3 Power. 8)

• Interesting that Americans want to once again slash down their military and pull out their troops. I guess it’s the American isolationist ideas kicking in.

• NATO has acted only once, and it was in Bosnia/Kosovo, and that was the U.S. cleaning a mess up Europe was unwilling to deal with. Dismantling will force the Europeans to fend for themselves. They’re big boys. :)

• Dismantling NATO would mean a reduction in anti-terrorist movements in Europe. The French, Germans, Italians, and British have all arrested scores of terrorists, and in some cases even put them on trial.

We’re not defending Europe, because they are not threatened. Nato is a way to keep the European countries united and talking. the EU is too young to do this.

Not to mention, leave Nato and the entire state department will have a fit. Sean Hannity (or was it Rush, can’t remember) predicted the entire senior leadership of the State Department would resign.

• They would probably resign in protest of any kind of policy of restraint.

I don’t see how NATO is directly related with those counter-terror activities. Pakistan isn’t in NATO, and they have been capturing terrorists.

• Yanny, why does NATO have to be europe to fight terrorism? I’m sure international law enforcement does a good job. You’re not implying that North America must keep troops in Europe to ensure that Europe does it’s part are you? How exactly does a base with lots of tanks and fighters planes fight terrorism in Berlin?

You say “The French, Germans, Italians, and British have all arrested scores of terrorists, and in some cases even put them on trial” as if this deserves some sort of special recognition. Do you think a gold star or pat on the head is enough?

Nato is not there to keep european countires together, if anything, it drives them apart. Nato was in europe to protect it against the soviet union, ergo it’s not needed anymore. Europe is too young to take care of itself? My god it’s over 500 years old, how old does one have to be to take care of oneself?

Yanny, once again you make wild allegations that Nato is required to fight terrorism and yet offer nothing to back this up. Lots of countries are fighting terrorism without being in Nato.

BB

• Fair enough RE: EU being young. I’m not sure it’s fair to use the age of the EU, after all it is an economic union and was never meant as a political or military union. France would never allow the US to have power to Veto their actions, that is why of ALL NATO members, France is considered the junior partner as it pulled out of the NATO planning commitee. France doesnt’ want to be constrained by NATO but then complains it can’t constrain NATO. Why is it always France that feels so special? We have a term for it, it’s called little-man syndrome. They just can’t stand it that they aren’t a world power anymore.

BB

• I can see Russia starting to get it while China is starting to lose it.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m