• Yes, the regular thief only hits one. But, the one who is robbed likely is insured, so it is then diluted onto all the customers of that one insurance.

Not always. And most of the time, not of the same amount. Also, the amount of paperwork involved even if something is insured is backbreaking.

But is it better to steal from everyone a bit and not all from one? Plus: a “regular” thief can hardly take stuff worth several hundred millions with him, and if he can, then the one who he stole from isprobably not ruined, or a fool not having that much insured.

Is it better to take a little from everyone or all from one? What is worse to rob, $100 from 1 person or $1 from 100 persons? Your right that a “regular” thief might not make out with several hundred millions, but the devestation is harder felt on a few though maybe not ruined. As for “insured” that is much of a crime also. Insurance is not free.

• @TG:

Is it better to take a little from everyone or all from one? What is worse to rob, $100 from 1 person or $1 from 100 persons? Your right that a “regular” thief might not make out with several hundred millions, but the devestation is harder felt on a few though maybe not ruined. As for “insured” that is much of a crime also. Insurance is not free.

So, you consider the first case being harder than the second, i suppose?
    The problem i was accusing would come closer to one thief, robbing 1000$ from one person goes to jail for x years, while another thief robbing a total of 10^6$ from thousands of persons finds something (his corporation) to pay his fine and lives happily on without jail or anything.
    Tax evasion is often considered a “gentleman’s crime” over here. Is it less a crime just because there is no blood and violence involved? Or is it less a crime because it does so much more damage to the society?

• The problem i was accusing would come closer to one thief, robbing 1000$ from one person goes to jail for x years, while another thief robbing a total of 10^6$ from thousands of persons finds something (his corporation) to pay his fine and lives happily on without jail or anything.

Yes… of course I’m sure we’re all against this. However, as the whole robbing tuna company should not pay (at the risk of many layoffs) but those responsible should be given longer jail sentences. And with mega companies like Eron which have ruined many lives, harsher penalties should be at hand.

Tax evasion is often considered a “gentleman’s crime” over here. Is it less a crime just because there is no blood and violence involved? Or is it less a crime because it does so much more damage to the society?

See above

• @F_alk:

@TG:

So, you consider the first case being harder than the second, i suppose?
    The problem i was accusing would come closer to one thief, robbing 1000$ from one person goes to jail for x years, while another thief robbing a total of 10^6$ from thousands of persons finds something (his corporation) to pay his fine and lives happily on without jail or anything.

i think it may have to do with the fact that i feel much less personally invaded when one commits the “gentleman´s crime”. A man´s home is his castle. His taxes are his pain-in-the-ass, but here its “just one more thing”. Plus the gov´t has ways of stealing from us that no corporation can imagine, so we just sigh, bend over, and take it again.

• @cystic:

i think it may have to do with the fact that i feel much less personally invaded when one commits the “gentleman´s crime”. A man´s home is his castle. His taxes are his pain-in-the-a**, but here its “just one more thing”. Plus the gov´t has ways of stealing from us that no corporation can imagine, so we just sigh, bend over, and take it again.

The first thing i can understand. For the second:
    Why is it then that everyone complains about taxes and raises there, but much less about the corps when they do it?
    To stay in your metaphor (and overstretch it): For the gov’t you sigh and bend over, but for the corps you smile happily and bend over….

• Think how many times idiots have harmed themselves.
    People sign papers (insurance or employment) without reading them thoroughly.
    Unions invest mmoney in companies or mutual funds with no one accountable.
    Just two examples of individuals and groups that hurt themselves.

And then the lawyers step in … :roll:

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m