• @UrJohn:

@Lunarwolf:

has anyone noticed that these 2nd edition pieces seem to be a little bit thicker and high quality?

Especially when compared to the 1941 pieces.

Yah, 1941 was definitely made on the cheap- including the pieces. Though, I am LOVIN the new Tigers! Just got done spraypainting the Jap tigers, for a grand total of ten. Yes, I do think they’ll look rather awesome in 42.2!

• Customizer

Look at the level of detail of all the new pieces. The planes have scribed in panel lines and wheel wells.
    The ships have port holes and have more pronounced islands.
    I personally think they upped the quality in the 1941 sculpts as they are all new to make up for the lack in numbers.
    The new pieces in 1942 are also in the same category as those in 1941. In fact all the new molds are a step above the older molds brought over.
    I think the decision to thicken up some details may be a retrograde step since it makes the pieces look cartoony but with the benefit of durability.
    I am spoiled by the detail level of GHQ 1/285 scale pieces whose level of detail I am trying to get close to for my A&A pieces.
    I prefer the workability of plastic and the weight savings versus lead/pewter and the longer term durability of plastic for play where physics is concerned.

The 1941 game pieces are the perfect adjunct to the pieces in 1942 SE and should be used together for a richer visual experience.
    My suggestion is to get both games. You’ll have more than enough pieces (using the chips for multiples) and you’l have a higher level of detail.

• My main problems with the 41 pieces are the transports/allied subs. Maybe it’s just my copy, but they look sort of warped (transports) or they don’t sit evenly on a flat surface (subs).

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m