• I know this is totally off the subject, but I thought I would bring it up anyway. To anybody on here who plays Starcraft does it bother you when players hack a game. It bothers the heck out of me. Plus if anyone here is a good map maker would you guys please make some specific battle maps like Antietam,Battle of the Bulge,Gettysburg and others. Would like to hear from everyone who plays. Is it just me or is Starcraft one of the best games ever made. Please excuse my spelling.

• “Plus if anyone here is a good map maker would you guys please make some specific battle maps like Antietam,Battle of the Bulge,Gettysburg and others.”

Not exactly sure what you mean like this. Is this for the A&A board game or Star Craft the game? I’m a “good” mapmaker for either, but SC requires a lot of time in order to make a quality map. And if it’s a scenario that’s several hours of planning triggers and correct unit placement.

“To anybody on here who plays Starcraft does it bother you when players hack a game.”

Usually this isn’t a problem as long as you know ahead of time who you’re playing with. Usually I don’t play against total strangers. But really, losing to a hacker isn’t that much of a problem. At least you have your pride intact, since in the end, we know who truly won and lost. But to prevent hacking, your best bet would be to make sure you have permission to record the game should any discrepancies arise.

“Is it just me or is Starcraft one of the best games ever made.”

Yeah, I was one of the first people to pick up a copy of the game the first week it came out. I was huge fan of Blizzard’s work on WarCraft II and Diablo. Lets just say, Starcraft did not disappoint me. However, not even StarCraft can compare to the C&C series (except for Tiberian Sun :( ) by Westwood. But I still think the nod for the best strategy game goes to Dune II. Old school! :P

BTW: Waraxis, good to see ya back! :D

• The C&C games were the same game over and over again.

• I wouldn’t be too sure about that… (at least not to the untrained eye)

• When people Hack the game, they just lose out on a fun experience. Too bad I can’t find my Starcraft CD, I miss that game.

• Starcraft was a tight game until I found “Sudden Stirke”.
    Now that is a Great real time strategy game.

It all WW2 tons of units 1000’s in any one game.
    You dont build anything in the game, but you do get reenforcements for holding certain parts of the maps.

• I don’t know, I was never really a big fan of Sudden Strike. Often I just find myself just grouping all my units together and rushing. Sudden Strike (IMO) would’ve been better if it was turned based as the graphics and unit selection would be quite nice compared to Panzer General II (all time favorite)

• @TG:

I don’t know, I was never really a big fan of Sudden Strike. Often I just find myself just grouping all my units together and rushing. Sudden Strike (IMO) would’ve been better if it was turned based as the graphics and unit selection would be quite nice compared to Panzer General II (all time favorite)

You just didnt play it enough.
    Grouping all your units together and rushing in is, as they say, newbie tactics and the surest way to lose.
    The defender in sudden strike has a massive advantage.

I once had 3 Germans with an 88on a hill hold their position against 2 panthers and about 30 men.
    Its all about line of sight.
    Wicked game!

• "Grouping all your units together and rushing in is, as they say, newbie tactics and the surest way to lose.
    The defender in sudden strike has a massive advantage. "

I’m not saying rushing is the best tactic (unless it’s StarCraft and I’m playing Zerg [Dark Swarm] :P ), but I often had to resort to it because the game wore down my patience. But you’re right, the defender does have the “massive advantage.” In this one level, I had to send my Tigers down this canyon gap to take out a stronghold and they got chewed up by AT-guns :(

• Sudden Strike got a lot of bad reviews. Doesn’t the artilery always get hits?

And, yes, all the C&C games were almost exactly the same.

• @yourbuttocks:

Sudden Strike got a lot of bad reviews. Doesn’t the artilery always get hits?

And, yes, all the C&C games were almost exactly the same.

Never saw a review for it, I just found it and played it. It was good.

I don’t like reviews anyways, its just one guys opinion.

Artillery does hit alot, but you have to spot the units you want to hit in the first place and that isn’t easy.

There are mods for the game that make Artillery completely inaccurate.

• A good RTS, Shogun.

• This may seem a bit odd, but I like strategy games like Civilization, Sim City, and Alpha Centauri. Any game that limits my options and abilities to combat is a little too restrictive. Sometimes I just want to build a small empire, bring happiness to my populace, and become friends with the local warlords. My advice is that the power to create far outweighs the power to destroy.

• In civilization, your combat options are so limited, there is only a simple strategic modle, and no tactical.

• “This may seem a bit odd, but I like strategy games like Civilization, Sim City, and Alpha Centauri.”

Okay, at least I’ll give you credit for something. You do know how to pick out good games when you see them and aren’t like most other girls that go, “Oooooo look at the pretty packaging.” Sid Meyer probably did more for strategy games than any other person.

• Thanks for rembering me TG Moses VI. I am shocked that some one rembered me. I haven’t tried Shogun or Sudden Strike, however since you guys bring them up I’ll look into them. The C&C series may be a little recycled, but RED ALERT 2 is still a master piece in my book. Also I have noticed in Starcraft alot of the maps are choke point happy. Whenever I create a game with a map with little or no choke points most players refuse to play them. I try to tell them that in real war most battlegrounds will not look like a BGH map they say that is crazy.
    One player acuatally said to me quote “If I was in a war and i couldn’t find my choke points I would not fight the enemy” Have any of you guys encoutered these type of players on Battlenet. I also noticed that these players like to hack when they can. Don’t get me wrong I play these maps all the time, but if someone comes along with a new map with some or no choke points I’ll give it a try. Excuse my spelling.

• Shogun’s tight the first time you play it, but the graphics are seriously lacking….

• “Thanks for rembering me TG Moses VI”

Well you were a good poster of the A&A General Discussion Boards, and that I liked.

“The C&C series may be a little recycled, but RED ALERT 2 is still a master piece in my book.”

I couldn’t agree with you any more. Red Alert 2 is the definitive standard for what any tactical strategy game should be, less on micromanagement and more on actual combat. Oh yeah! :D

“One player acuatally said to me quote “If I was in a war and i couldn’t find my choke points I would not fight the enemy””

Well I do see this as a problem. In fact, I always keep a group of handy Zerglings burrowed and every choke point to stalk unsuspecting prey (which is really the best way to get rid of those Siege Tanks). But as a map designer, I also try to keep my war zones a little larger to give both sides room to maneuver in. You can do this by, say, placing much need resources in the center of the map and having players fight over them :P Also, do you get the problem of builders making maps too resource heavy? Plenty of resources are okay, but not when they’re all located in each player’s respective base.

“Shogun’s tight the first time you play it, but the graphics are seriously lacking….”

Graphics should NEVER be a problem with any true RTS gamer. Heck, I still play Dune II and C&C: Gold, which used large sprite and pixel based graphics.

• Have any of you guys tried the new Star Wars RTS Game called Galactic Battlegrounds? It looks sweet. Plus I believe they supporte it on MSN.zone. For you Dune players, have you guys tried Emperor/Battle for Dune??

• “Have any of you guys tried the new Star Wars RTS Game called Galactic Battlegrounds? It looks sweet. Plus I believe they supporte it on MSN.zone. For you Dune players, have you guys tried Emperor/Battle for Dune??”

Yep, Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds is a great game! It’s built on Age of Empires (both engine and design), so if you’re any good at that game, I’m sure you’ll do excel in the Star Wars RTS. Emperor is a worthy successor of Dune II, I use to have it, but didn’t play much due to the amount of slowdown is caused on my aging computer. Still, Emperor has gotten rave reviews from various print and online sources.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m