• Has anyone ever noticed that in several of the largest sci-fi/action franchises, there is the same hierarchy of species?

On the bottom, you have the technologically primitive, bestial killing machine (Zerg, Alien, Flood). These are typically present in high number, possess either no technology, or else “organic” technology, and have some kind of queen/overlord/hive mind that controls their actions.

In the middle, there are humans. We are tentatively exploring space, having fairly recently developed some modest technological capabilities. We still utilize projectile weapons, lack energy shields, and may have some limited robotic/AI capabilities.

On top, we have the technologically and physically superior overlords (Protoss, Predators, Elites) that have an advanced, warrior culture, some kind of ritual aspect of their methods, and martial prowess. They possess energy weapons and superior ships.

Why do you suppose that is?

Pundits- Yes, I’m aware that Predator and Predator II take place in the 1980s and 1990s respectively, as do all subsequent Predator films (AVP, Predators, etc.), this is true, but they are set in the same universe as the Alien films, (see Predator II, AVP) and so we can assume the Predators are still around during the Alien timeline when humans are exploring space. Also, I know the Elites are part of the covenant of various types of aliens, but the Elites are the symbolic center of the Covenant.

They seem to be exaggerations of the two extremes of humanity- the bestial and the rational. They also seem to be the two polarities in the spectrum of extraterrestrials-we-dont-want-to-meet. I wonder if there are any other reasons?

Anybody have other examples?

• 2007 AAR League

Isn´t it just a Janus projection of the “middle race” ie humans…

Ie we have this dark bestial nature where we can go and basically strangle a lion, but nowdays we are restricted by our laws and “customs”, so we only do that sometimes (war).

On the other hand there’s what we want to be the technologically advanced “know it all” that´s strives for some sort of perfection, but is also unattainable because we haven´t got that far yet.

• lol you bring up a good point Nix, I never thought or compared the three that way. It just goes to show that ideas rotate, some make it seem better that others but in the end you have to get inspiration from somewhere.

• This would be reinforced by the fact that invariably, the Humans team up with the technologically superior (but warlike) alien race, to defeat the bestial, technologically inferior alien race. Perhaps the supposition is that while we lack the technology and ritual of the higher alien power, they can learn from our cultural mores that arent ENTIRELY based on violence, religion and war.

Then again, the humans in Starcraft are pretty treacherous and back-stabby, while the Protoss are almost universally portrayed as good guys. Generally, it seems that the humans are flawed, but ultimately the good guys, while the zerg/flood/aliens are universally evil. The protoss/predators/covenant are warlike and zealous, but tend to learn and cooperate in the end.

Of course, there are plenty of sci-fi franchises that use a dichotomy, or entirely other system of hierarchies, but this particular system has led to some of the more successful franchises. I wonder if anyone knows of any credit being given by the makers of halo and/or starcraft to the producers of alien and the predator movies…whether consciously or not, they were almost certainly influenced

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m