Where the heck are Germany's vaunted U-Boats?

• Germany is not a fleet builder. They have to take our russia first, and in the meantime, they should build a complex in egypt. the fleet is kind of useless. by the time an attack for GB is ready, germany will have the aircraft to detsroy GB’s fleet, and then build up.

but then again, germany is my worst country!

• Subs in AAE have a much higher survivability rate. Because to attack a sub, a destroyer must be present.

If there were Destroyers in AA, Germany might actually see a large sub fleet.

Also, the game starts in Spring 1942. By then, many German subs were destroyed.

• germany’s sub fleet hit its peak in 43.

• I think I like the idea of subs rolling to submerge against aircraft can be pretty niffty. Do you have to roll once or for each aircraft present?

• isnt there a 3rd edition rule book that has submerging subs? If aircraft alone attack subs they have only one round of combat. So, after all the aircraft have attacked the remaining subs submerge and remain in the
    same sea zone, like AAE.

• In the AandA 3rd edition, subs cannot submerge but may flee instead. In AAE subs cannot flee but can submerge.

• if you are winning in africa and the middle east you can build a sub fleet in the meditranion,the RAF has no place to land.

• The RAF can land in the Urkaine or the Middle East if they need to.

• This kind of gets off the subject but why doesnt Germany have any U-boats in the Atlantic right next to Eastern U.S.A.? That was a major role in the atlantic campaign!
    Now the U.S. can wonder the Atlantic without trouble!

• I think that the sub off French West Africa is suppose to represent the threat of a German attack on Eastern USA since it can reach it in one turn and sink that US transport if you want. However, by adding extra units for starting placement you might be distracting too much from the game. Do you really think that USA had one transport fleet in 1942?

• The sub off of europe can reach the us in one turn? I feel stupid now. but why build subs when fighters are so much better? They can be used to sink the british fleet, or attack the sovies. subs are a waste of money for the germans. Actually, any naval presence for the germans is a waste of money. they should be spending it for the assault on USSR

• Except for the additional transport(s) or carrier for Germany, I agree. Land units are a much wiser investment.

• I agree, as well. It’s just I wonder at the investment: If you’re thinking pure Sea Zone defense, you’d think 3 SUB would be a better investment than 2 FTR: in an attack, the 3 SUBs would score about 1 hit consistently, same as 2 FTRs. But SUBs can defend in Sea Zones (at least against ships), where FTR’s (without a CV) cannot. SUBs are more survivable than FTRs because they have their submerge/withdraw abilities. SUB hits (unlike FTR hits) cannot be countered. And 3 SUBs represent 1 extra casualty you can take should the battle go poorly.

I guess the reason German SUBs never seem to appear in signifigant numbers is the threat of USSR. It’s easy to justify the money spent on FTRs because when you’re not using them to fight sea battles, you can use them against Russia. SUBs are virtually useless against the mainly landlocked USSR and so nobody ever purchases many of them…what a shame.

Ozone27

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m