Spring 1942 - Case Blue Axis Strategy

• If Fortress Europe is the anti-KGF strat, Case Blue sure looks like the anti-KJF strat.

• @Advosan:

If Fortress Europe is the anti-KGF strat, Case Blue sure looks like the anti-KJF strat.

It actually came out of recent experience playing online at GTO - I’ve never seen so many people trying KJF or a mix of both or just going overboard with the Russians and getting a sub and a fighter on the initial buy. If the Allied player still decides to go KJF after the German round then it’s almost a sure win, although there are veteran players on GTO forums who claim that Russia can fall as long as the US holds the Pacific islands… I’m still trying to prove/disprove that hypothesis.

• 2nd trial in progress…

Russia bought 1 bomber, attacked Belo and WR, 12 units left in WR, Caucasus abandoned, 4 INF sent to Sinkiang. Entire Luftwaffe used on WRus at the expense of 3 fighters (Low Luck).
    UK counters by landing on Archangel and build a South Africa IC. Japan moves fleet to SZ34, within range of the UK but just want I want him to try…
    US goes Atlantic… this should be interesting…
    Russia attacks WRus, Caucasus, Buryatia and China(!)
    Germany sinks Allied fleet off SZ4, takes Caucasus, WRus, Archangel and Egypt. Russia is reduced to 6 INF, 2 ARM and the planes.

• '12

A great piece of work.  I look forward to hearing further updates and trials in action!

• Well game over, great game. The Allies built an IC on Sinkiang and managed to held it until round 4 or 5 until they were forced to pull back from the Japanese. The Germans took a hold of Caucasus on round 4 and never released it afterwards.

The SA IC didn’t work, neither the US strat of sending troops through Africa. With Germans in control of Caucasus it blocked any attempt to advance. Interesting game though.

• @Hobbes:

there are veteran players on GTO forums who claim that Russia can fall as long as the US holds the Pacific islands… I’m still trying to prove/disprove that hypothesis.

We make some assumptions, ending with Russia falling and US grabbing the Pacific islands.  This has to be round five or six at least.  So what do we know?

1.  We know UK doesn’t have a particularly healthy navy reinforcement to Russia (or at least it shouldn’t), BECAUSE Russia fell.  (If there are loads of UK troops ready to secure Moscow after Germany grabs Moscow for a single turn, then Russia didn’t really “fall”).

2.  Probably Germany controls Africa.

3.  US has at least two carriers, four fighters, and at least two destroyers in the islands south of Japan.  Plus one or two transports, and controls certain 4 IPC islands.

Now here’s the key assumption that I think these GTO vets are making.  I would guess they think the Japanese fleet is destroyed.  If the Jap fleet is destroyed, then US has logistic advantage with amphibious assaults on territories, and probably US and UK can work together to harass European coast/Africa/finish Japan (not all of those, but enough to get a win)

But if the Japanese fleet is NOT destroyed - and it should not be, because Japan can always just run away - Germany can get into the mix.  Then, I think Axis have the advantage.

• @Bunnies:

@Hobbes:

there are veteran players on GTO forums who claim that Russia can fall as long as the US holds the Pacific islands… I’m still trying to prove/disprove that hypothesis.

We make some assumptions, ending with Russia falling and US grabbing the Pacific islands.  This has to be round five or six at least.  So what do we know?

1.  We know UK doesn’t have a particularly healthy navy reinforcement to Russia (or at least it shouldn’t), BECAUSE Russia fell.  (If there are loads of UK troops ready to secure Moscow after Germany grabs Moscow for a single turn, then Russia didn’t really “fall”).

2.  Probably Germany controls Africa.

3.  US has at least two carriers, four fighters, and at least two destroyers in the islands south of Japan.  Plus one or two transports, and controls certain 4 IPC islands.

Now here’s the key assumption that I think these GTO vets are making.  I would guess they think the Japanese fleet is destroyed.  If the Jap fleet is destroyed, then US has logistic advantage with amphibious assaults on territories, and probably US and UK can work together to harass European coast/Africa/finish Japan (not all of those, but enough to get a win)

But if the Japanese fleet is NOT destroyed - and it should not be, because Japan can always just run away - Germany can get into the mix.  Then, I think Axis have the advantage

Meh, even if the Japanese fleet is destroyed I’m still not convinced, I need to get beaten to change my mind. The more experience you have playing J on KFJ, the more you know how to harass the US fleet, even with Yamato rusting at the bottom of the ocean.

• Probably the GTO vets are also assuming most of the Axis air is already dead too.

• I’ve faced this strat today against me and I’m glad I realized how to do it because it was very, very, very close. The other player had it all figured out - too bad I also had :)

Russia rolls badly on WRus and loses 5 inf in total, while moving the 6 inf to Buryatia. G buys 8 armor and goes for it. Game got decided on round 3 - the Russians attacked the German stack on Ukraine with everything (didn’t even bother calc - if I lost that was it) and won while the Germans attacked Caucasus (I had moved everything with the UK from India and Africa - 6 inf, 1 arm and 4 fighters and lost. Japan meanwhile was building 2 fighters a turn, in no doubt to protect either WRus or Caucasus but it was pointless when Germany lost those battles.

• Japan needed to go IC/tanks if Germany went G1 8 tank build.

So, Hobbes - you did West Russia/Norway open with Allies, did badly at West Russia, put 6 infantry at Buryatia, and put the UK India fighter on Buryatia on UK1?  What happened with Anglo-Egypt?

• I attacked WRus and Ukr with Russia. With the UK I sank the SZ16 (had brought the INF and ARM from Libya to Ukr), SZ59 and SZ5 fleets. I then pulled back everything towards Caucasus, even abandoning India to J - the Germans were getting ready to hit it heavy soon, and I think it saved my hide.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m