Can a transport unload in the same sea zone as an enemy sub?

• Specifically, I am wondering if the East Canada transport, without any sea support (assuming UK BB death) can unload on Western Europe if all Germany has put there is a sub (or two) on the Western Europe coast.

I know I could test this out, but I’m not in a position to do so right now.

If a transport can ignore an enemy sub, then I don’t understand how you could stop the East Canada transport from unloading if it is supported by two fighters.

I understand that the transport will likely die in G2 without (or with, probably) a massive UK1 naval build.

Thanks!

• Yes. Submarines don’t block naval movement so your transport could pick up 1 arm on E. Can and 1 inf on UK then move to SZ7 and make an amphibious assault along with 2 fighters and 1 bomber.

Question is definitely if it is a good idea…

• Do you think it’s a good idea?

I’ve numerously see people abandon either Norway or West Russia, so you’d simply be forcing additional resources from Germany in taking back its territories, at the cost of a transport and two (replaceable) units. I really like the idea of taking Norway because Germany will have a hard time recollecting it (if complemented by the German Baltic transport being taken out by air).

I think in doing this it would be smart to abandon that transport. My UK1 buy is almost always an AC and two destroyers, and placing them next to the transport at either location (next to Norway or Western Europe) guarantees the entirety of the Luftwaffe to demolish what you’ve built, especially with a G1 bomber buy.

Just so I’m not second guessing myself, if there was a destroyer blocking you, you could still perform an amphibious assault if you aided the transport with fighters, right?

I’ve lurked around long enough to learn that you’re opinion is worth consideration. :-)

• Unless the Axis player makes a mistake and leaves planes there unguarded, i’d say it isn’t worth it. :)

G can also move units to reinforce Norway to prevent a UK1 landing there, so the usual options for the UK transport are to land units to take Algeria (and be wiped out) or to join the Allied fleet or pull back to SZ10.

I don’t know if you have checked the odds for an attack by the Axis against the Allied fleet on SZs 2/8 but the bottom line is that it depends a lot on German losses of planes/subs during its first round.

However, assuming that all German units survive then it is impossible to build the UK fleet without it being sunk. Which means that now you have 2 options: flee or land on Algeria (assuming WE and Norway are fortified). Both have its pros and cons.

• @football2006:

Just so I’m not second guessing myself, if there was a destroyer blocking you, you could still perform an amphibious assault if you aided the transport with fighters, right?

you can always make an amphibious assault with a transport… as long as the attacker wins whatever naval combat occurs in the SZ.  if a Destroyer and a transport attack a SZ for amp assault and there is an enemy destroyer there, combat occurs.  as long as the enemy is sunk, you can continue to amp assault the territory.  If its survives then your transports are sunk as they do not have any combat (or defense) roll.

• @Keredrex:

@football2006:

you can always make an amphibious assault with a transport… as long as the attacker wins whatever naval combat occurs in the SZ.  if a Destroyer and a transport attack a SZ for amp assault and there is an enemy destroyer there, combat occurs.  as long as the enemy is sunk, you can continue to amp assault the territory.  If its survives then your transports are sunk as they do not have any combat (or defense) roll.

Not true, the attacking TRN can retreat.

• @coorran:

@Keredrex:

@football2006:

Not true, the attacking TRN can retreat.

After the combat round is finished, yes it can retreat.

But there are a lot of weird situations: imagine there’s a SZ containing an enemy sub and a destroyer and that you send the transport to make a landing, along with 2 fighters to clear the SZ. Since the enemy sub can’t hit the planes if it rolls a hit on 1 you’ll have to remove the transport as a casualty.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m