• Lets say the German builds an AC and 2 TRS and kills your entire fleet in the North Atlantic. He now has his entire fleet in SZ 112. How do you plan to use your AC and DD off Gibraltar to stop the German attack? Do you attack the German fleet with everything you have? It has a less then 20 % that you will kill the transports, the German has capital ships and are positioned next to a naval base. That attack is madness. Do you build fleet and place it in 110? The German can go round that fleet and attack the UK from 109 and he is also strong enough to kill your fleet and invade an England that is hardly defended. The only way to defend against a Sea Lion G2 if the German positioned themselfs in this way is to build all inf in England. In this case the German will most likely invade and either start gearing against the Russians or build a shitload of transports so he can invade in G3. If he does not invade you dont want a carrier and a destroyer within three squares from sz 112 as the German fleet does not have much to do but killing it. Im quite sure its of better used killing the Italian main fleet.

Bringing planes from India makes India weaker but not that much. If 2 planes leave and India gets the extra inf from west india i do not think it will do that much of a diffrence. Those two planes can make a huge contribution in Africa.

• @Dany:

Lets say the German builds an AC and 2 TRS and kills your entire fleet in the North Atlantic. He now has his entire fleet in SZ 112. How do you plan to use your AC and DD off Gibraltar to stop the German attack? Do you attack the German fleet with everything you have? It has a less then 20 % that you will kill the transports, the German has capital ships and are positioned next to a naval base. That attack is madness. Do you build fleet and place it in 110? The German can go round that fleet and attack the UK from 109 and he is also strong enough to kill your fleet and invade an England that is hardly defended. The only way to defend against a Sea Lion G2 if the German positioned themselfs in this way is to build all inf in England. In this case the German will most likely invade and either start gearing against the Russians or build a shitload of transports so he can invade in G3. If he does not invade you dont want a carrier and a destroyer within three squares from sz 112 as the German fleet does not have much to do but killing it. Im quite sure its of better used killing the Italian main fleet.

Bringing planes from India makes India weaker but not that much. If 2 planes leave and India gets the extra inf from west india i do not think it will do that much of a diffrence. Those two planes can make a huge contribution in Africa.

If the Germans build a AC and 2 TRNs in SZ 112 then I build 9 inf in UK and transport another inf and tank from Canada over to UK, plus the 2 inf and 3 ftrs that are already there.  Considering I have AA that will shoot down 1 maybe even 2 German aircraft…I hope the Germans try a G2 Sealion.  I could also land the TAC in U.K. for extra security.  I don’t believe a G2 Sealion is viable against a competent UK player.

• @panzerjager:

@Dany:

Lets say the German builds an AC and 2 TRS and kills your entire fleet in the North Atlantic. He now has his entire fleet in SZ 112. How do you plan to use your AC and DD off Gibraltar to stop the German attack? Do you attack the German fleet with everything you have? It has a less then 20 % that you will kill the transports, the German has capital ships and are positioned next to a naval base. That attack is madness. Do you build fleet and place it in 110? The German can go round that fleet and attack the UK from 109 and he is also strong enough to kill your fleet and invade an England that is hardly defended. The only way to defend against a Sea Lion G2 if the German positioned themselfs in this way is to build all inf in England. In this case the German will most likely invade and either start gearing against the Russians or build a shitload of transports so he can invade in G3. If he does not invade you dont want a carrier and a destroyer within three squares from sz 112 as the German fleet does not have much to do but killing it. Im quite sure its of better used killing the Italian main fleet.

If the Germans build a AC and 2 TRNs in SZ 112 then I build 9 inf in UK and transport another inf and tank from Canada over to UK, plus the 2 inf and 3 ftrs that are already there.  Considering I have AA that will shoot down 1 maybe even 2 German aircraft…I hope the Germans try a G2 Sealion.  I could also land the TAC in U.K. for extra security.  I don’t believe a G2 Sealion is viable against a competent UK player.

I agree, my point is that the CV is not whats going to save the UK and therefore it can be used in the med. The problem is not the G2 Sea Lion but the G3 Sea Lion. Anyway the CV wont help here either.

On another note i think that if the German is serious about a Sea Lion he would make sure to take out the Canadian TRS. The TRS and DD in 109 in less of a problem for them.

• Turn 1(UK)…attack German fleet in SZ112:
    Germany= 1CV(2FTR’s), 1BB(damaged?), 1CA, 1SUB, 3TRS.[4,4,4,3,2,2].  
    vs
    UK= 1CV(1TAC), 2BB’s, 2CA’s, 1DD.[4,4,3,3,3,2]

How is that 20%???  Looks like 50% to me.

Yes, UK builds 9INF.  Is that enough vs 3INF/3ARM/1BB/1Bomber/2FTRs?  Why would you take that chance to lose UK?  Hit the German fleet with the entire UK fleet…at the very least Germany will have 2 less FTR’s in the attack on UK.  Its the only chance UK has vs Sea Lion.

The 2 extra FTR’s are not enough to stop Italy from taking Egypt on turn two.  The 2nd Italian fleet with TRS(1INF/1ARM) will invade Transjordan, the two Italian FTR’s in Italy move to N. Africa.  The only way to stop Italy from taking Egypt on turn two is to not lose the UK TAC/FTR(originally from Egypt) in the naval battles, and send them all including FTR’s from India into Egypt.  In which case the Italians wait one extra turn…on turn two align Iraq, take out Sudan and get about 5-6 more INF into the battle on turn 3.

If you go with your Med strategy as UK, then in the mean time Japan is salivating over an easy India, and Sea Lion may have taken out UK.  The UK cant build any more units, the Germans can use their Sea Lion TRS vs the Russians, and have about 17(France)+29(UK)=46 extra IPC’s to build for Russia.  Not to mention the 46(at least) economy Germany now has.  A very depressing game for the Allies.

• I did not bother to mention the 2SUBS taking out the DD/TRS in 106, and the 2SUBS taking out the DD/TRS in 109 because I see that as obvious…so no transport of anything from Canada.  The 2INF and 3FTR’s in UK are killed on turn 1 by the German 3FTR’s/3TAC/1BOMBER(I think I mentioned that several times)…should lose only 1 FTR to AA.  There will only be 9INF in UK when Sea Lion happens.  G3 Sea Lion is probably not possible with a competent UK player.

• Why do you think that UK will have 2 BB’s and 1 CA’s left after G1?

• Sorry, 2BB’s, 1 CA, 1DD.

• My G1 attacks would be

SZ 112: BB, CA, 1 plane, 1 sub
    SZ 111: 2 subs, 3 planes
    SZ 110: 1 sub, 4 planes
    SZ 106: 1 sub (hope for the best)

I would never strike the UK in G1. This might lose me a plane or two but ill rather loose them killing a BB then a fig. The likely attack then is: 3 figs, 1 tac, 2 dd (4,3,3,3,2,2) against 1 bb, 1 cv, 2 fig and 1 ca (4,4,4,3,2) the diffrance is that the German can soak 2 hits before it starts taking dmg, hits they will have no problem taking as they are next to a naval base.

• Aren’t you using any planes against France?

• Not if i was going for a Sealion. If i was going for Russia i might to keep a few more land units in the battle of France.

• I see I made a typo too, I meant to ask, why do you think UK has 2 BB’s and 2 CA’s left after G1?

Now, you state that UK will still attack with 2 BB’s, 1 CA, 1 DD…… They won’t have so much left after G1 either.

If the Luftwaffe and the U-boats do their work properly, you have 1 BB, 1 CA, 1 DD, 1 tactical and 1 CV to counter the German SZ 112 fleet making it (4,3,3,2,0) against (4,4,4,3,2,1). Now how are those odds?? Attacking that is playing like my son of 18 months.

Plus you forget that by placing the CV with the French in SZ93 you can shuttle the Egyptian fighter + the tactical you start with to UK on turn 2 to defend against a turn 3 Sea Lion (of course they have to survive the attack against the Italian BB-fleet).

• Planes against France are not needed.

As Germany if you do not get rid of the 3 UK FTR’s in UK on turn 1, then there will be no Sea Lion.

With your attack, Uk will have 3 FTR’s, 2 INF, plus 50/50 1 INF and 1 ARM from Quebec, plus 9 INF it builds in UK=12INF, 3FTR’s defending Sea Lion…possibly add an extra INF and ARM.  Assuming you built 2 TRS with Germany…giving you 3 total you can have: 3INF, 3ARM, BB, probably 5 aircraft(minus 1 from your SZ110 attack, and minus one from AA when you make the attack on UK.

Round 1:
    UK:  12INF at 2, 3FTR’s at 4(lets say no TRS from Quebec)…should be 6 hits vs Germany(3INF, 2ARM, 1FTR).
    vs
    Germany: 3INF at 1, 3ARM at 3, 1BB at 4(once), 1 Bomber, 2 TAC’s, 2 FTR’s…should be about 6 hits(just short, but I’ll give it to you(UK loses 6 INF).

Round2:
    UK:  6INF at 2, 3 FTR’s at 4…should be 4 hits(all German air gone if you want to take UK).
    vs
    Germany:  1ARM at 3, 1Bomber at 4, 1TAC at 4, 1 TAC at 3, 1FTR at 3…should be about 3 hits(UK loses 3 INF)

Round3:

UK:  3INF at 2, 3 FTR’s at 4…should be 3 hits(Last German unit gone, Sea Lion fails)
    vs
    Germany 1ARM at 3…maybe UK loses 1INF.

Sea Lion fails, and thats without your 50/50 attack on the DD/TRS off of Quebec.  Not good.

• I’m not suggesting attacking the German fleet without the CV/TAC and DD from Gibraltar…they are key in that attack.

I would never do a Sea Lion turn 3 as Germany…thats what Dani is suggesting.

My attack on the German fleet is: 2BB, 1CA, 2DD, 1TAC, 1CV(4,4,3,3,2,2,0)
    vs
    1BB, 1CA, 1CV, 2FTR, 1SUB(4,4,4,3,2,2)

UK has 3 soak-offs, Germany 2.  50/50 battle from my perspective…this is why I would consider building a SUB rather than an extra TRS as Germany…which would make Sea Lion tougher since as Germany I would have 2 less ground units vs the 9 UK INF.

• @miamibeach:

Turn 1(UK)…attack German fleet in SZ112:
    vs

How is that 20%???  Looks like 50% to me.

Germany should never let its fleet get attacked. If Denmark is axis, then the UK ships cant reach it.

• @miamibeach:

I’m not suggesting attacking the German fleet without the CV/TAC and DD from Gibraltar…they are key in that attack.

vs

UK has 3 soak-offs, Germany 2.  50/50 battle from my perspective…this is why I would consider building a SUB rather than an extra TRS as Germany…which would make Sea Lion tougher since as Germany I would have 2 less ground units vs the 9 UK INF.

For the second time I ask you, why do you keep believing that UK will have 2 BB’s, 1CA and 2 DD’s left after G1???

• I would not go for the G2 Sealion, I would build a bunch of TRS in G2 and w8 for G3.

If you attack the UK with your air, how much would survive. 1 is taken out by aa and maybe another 2-3 by the units in the UK. That leaves you with 4 air units. The UK can then block the north route around England with 1 DD, build 1 fig and 2 dd and put them with the rest of the fleet in 110. That would be 2 BB, 1 AC, 1 CA, 3 DD, 1 fig, 1 tac. Chanses that you get to invade are not that good. I do not think there is a way to get good odds on the UK in a G2 Sea lion, i think the G3 is the way to go if you want to do it. It has to cost more then 1 AC and 2 TRS to do a Sea lion or it would be to good.

When it comes to Egypt i would not land with troops in Transjordan as they are easy to kill for the UK. If the Italians mass all. If the fleet moves the Italians cant build any TRS in I1 asthe french can kill them and if the UK moved planes to Africa on UK1 the TRS cant move by itself. Holding Egypt is viable if there is a Sea lion on its way and Italy goes for it with all its force,  to hold it you need to be able to build a Minor there in UK1. If that is not a possbilty, you back up with your forces untill you meet up the units from Persia and the units from South Africa. With these and the planes you should be able to turn the tide.

If all the Axis are going for the UK the UK cant hold everything. I would give up India as it is impossible to hold anyways and the units there are very valuable in Africa/the Med. You will have a hard time but your allies will sort it out.

• @Driel310:

@miamibeach:

I’m not suggesting attacking the German fleet without the CV/TAC and DD from Gibraltar…they are key in that attack.

vs

For the second time I ask you, why do you keep believing that UK will have 2 BB’s, 1CA and 2 DD’s left after G1???

He cant kill much else as he uses all his planes in G1 to attack the UK. @squirecam:

@miamibeach:

Turn 1(UK)…attack German fleet in SZ112:
    vs

How is that 20%???  Looks like 50% to me.

Germany should never let its fleet get attacked. If Denmark is axis, then the UK ships cant reach it.

They have to as the UK otherwise can block a Sea lion by having a fleet in 112.

• Germany still has one fighter and five subs to kill a lot of UK fleet. With your BB+CA from the Baltic you can take out the UK CA and French CA in SZ 112. Then you send out 2 subs to the DD+trn fleet and 3 subs + 1 ftr to the BB+CA fleet

That leaves UK with 1 BB, 2DD’s , 1CV and 1 tactical to counter your SZ112 fleet. Your Canadian fleet can’t reach SZ112.

• He said that 2 subs go to 106 and 2 go to 109, that leaves 1 sub and 1 fig witch is not enough to take on 110 or 111. I would prolly not mind 109 and instead strike 110 with 3 subs and 1 fig and hope for the best if i was going to hit the RAF with the rest of my airforce.

• Don’t make the mistake of letting yourself guide by Miamibeach on this one.  :-)

By making the attacks as I described against the UK fleet you have a good chance of pulling off SeaLion on G3. G2 is too early IMHO and performing poor attacks against the UK fleet might see your invasion fleet be sunk on UK2 (50% battle is good enough for the UK to leave the Italians and attack the Germans).

However when talking tactics I always reason from optimal play and average dice. And with those two in mind, UK has nothing better to do with her CV and tactical then attacking the Italians in the Med in SZ 95. That’s the topic of this thread if I am correct.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m