• so with the global game things will be a lot harder
    what will you do as japan? (cause we have no intel of europe)
    the things i’ve heard is:

1. Defensive at south, offensive at north (so IC in korea and manchuria spitting out troops vs china and USSR)
    2. offensive vs india, and link-up with italy and germany (through caucasus?) in middle east
    3. ignore mainland, go offensive against US and pull their attention so germany gets hands lose in west (My favourite, especially combined with some USSR action)

• Ugh, don’t think 3. will be viable anymore, if USA’s starting income is now 100 IPCs with war footing.  You’d give too much breathing space to the other fronts for too long to make anything out of it.

Looks like you’re forced into attacking DEI and going after India and Australia to hold those oil-bound IPCs.  UK/India would be the obvious first target since they’d have a split income anyway, and Australia could be reinforced easily by the US.  Since India is essentially a split income, would its fall represent one of the major powers’ capital falling (lotsa free ipcs)?

I’m guessing USSR is probably going to pull back its troops to the Eastern front from siberia, plus those territories up north are usually worth diddly squat.  We’ll find out when Larry releases the Global setup.

So my two cents is go for option 2.

• From what Larry said in global the US will only get one 30 ipc at war bonus plus what ever else it can round up through NO’s. It will be making around 80 ipc, not 100. I would think that China, then India would still be Japans main early targets. Obviously much will depend on how much US spends in the Pacific. A J1 attack has worked well in the Pacific game. I wounder if Japan will find it better to wait in the Global game at least to rd #2. If an early Jap attack puts US at war w/everyone (it should) and allows the US to start pumping  units over to England (air by rd #2 via British Iceland), then a sea lion would be out for G3.

• #2 India to Middle East and right up the gut of Russia where the 3 Axis NEED to meet.  It is also a typical AA50 strategy.

the jury’s out on #1 until I see the setup of Global

Definitely not #3 unles you want a short game or luck out on a tech game! :lol:

• For the axis to win, Japan needs to capture 6-7 VCs in the Pacific. It needs the income from the DEIs, and must fight for the Pacific Islands and Victory cities.

• i think 3 is good if you want a game with an all-out offensive vs the sovjet-union
    that’s the plan behind it

• From what I’ve read on Larry’s site and on the Europe Fact Sheet, the usual and powerful J1 attack will probably be a ‘think about twice’ in Global.

For now, if you attack on J1, it’s all good for you (even if I do not think that ‘the game in broken’ or that the Allies cannot do anything to win). But in a global game in which your german allies have many other problems than being at war with the USA, Japan may have to reconsider it’s usual strategy and attack later. But I still think that they will have to go for the money islands to hope fighting the Allies in the long run.

And maybe will there be less of you to say that the game is awful.

• @BasileII:

From what I’ve read on Larry’s site and on the Europe Fact Sheet, the usual and powerful J1 attack will probably be a ‘think about twice’ in Global.

For now, if you attack on J1, it’s all good for you (even if I do not think that ‘the game in broken’ or that the Allies cannot do anything to win). But in a global game in which your german allies have many other problems than being at war with the USA, Japan may have to reconsider it’s usual strategy and attack later. But I still think that they will have to go for the money islands to hope fighting the Allies in the long run.

Since you think the game isn’t broken, how do you think the allies should respond to a typical J1 attack? Typical means killing Singapore fleet, taking Philippines, FIC, Yunan, and one of the DEI?

• Hey its april now when is this game coming out? june? july? or august?

• Any of the above

• @calvinhobbesliker:

@BasileII:

From what I’ve read on Larry’s site and on the Europe Fact Sheet, the usual and powerful J1 attack will probably be a ‘think about twice’ in Global.

Since you think the game isn’t broken, how do you think the allies should respond to a typical J1 attack? Typical means killing Singapore fleet, taking Philippines, FIC, Yunan, and one of the DEI?

build subs to block east indeis, and kill japanese destroyers if they want to set it free
    subs are cheaper than destroyers, so eventually allies win
    happy?

• Yeah, interesting comment on the J1 attack…  The Axis will have to work “together”, so it might not be in Germany’s best interest if they’re planning on conducting Operation Sealion G2 and then Japan simply attacks anyway J1 cause it was the “best time to strike”.  Allies might be able to get quite a bit out of the neutrality rules on several fronts if one Axis side tries to drag out war declaration to the exclusion of the other “team members”.  Another strategy for the Axis to work on…

Hell, we may even see a “falling out” among the Axis players, like we did historically with Japan’s surprise strike on Hawaii!  That’d be hilarious, for the Allies to setup their troops to provoke a round 1 attack from the other Axis members!

• Hell, what are some “good” J2 attack strategies?  Haven’t gotten a chance to play AAP40 in person yet.

• It is not the place to discuss about how to play AAP40. But if you really need to:

I still think J1 attack is the best strategy. But you do not always win the game by doing it.
    I personaly do not attack Philippines on the first turn.
    After a few turns, Japan simply cannot continue to protect both Philippines, DEIs, Japan and Carolines, and at the same time continue to push hard on India. Some transport with 1 inf grabbing 1 island and disrupting your NO will pass, you’ll lose time and energy, you’ll make mistakes because you’re alone and they have so many less things to think than you.  Of course, if you stp playing on turn 5, then Japan will always win. But aroudn turn 8, when Japan is about to conquer India but has problems keeping America’s pace, then, the game is not broken.

Back on topic:
    These politic rules are, IMO, a really great idea. Imagine what could happen if Uk decide to bring its indian planes in Egypt to destroy the Italian army while Japan do not attack them cause Germany really needs the US neutrality. There will be all new mind-games and probably a lot more possibilities than before.

• Sounds exciting. :-D

• @BasileII:

Back on topic:
    These politic rules are, IMO, a really great idea. Imagine what could happen if Uk decide to bring its indian planes in Egypt to destroy the Italian army while Japan do not attack them cause Germany really needs the US neutrality. There will be all new mind-games and probably a lot more possibilities than before.

I agree, you don’t really need different start times (39,41,42,etc…) as some are talking about. Each game will play out different scenarios simply through the political rules. Each powers own political rules could/will have an effect on its allies, as well as its enemies decisions. Will Jap attack rd #1, #2 or #3. Will Germany attempt sea lion, or attack Russia rd #2 (most likely depends on what Jap did rd #1). Does UK move into China if Jap hasn’t started the fighting? There are a ton of combination’s that will lead to many possible scenario in the first couple of rounds.

There has always been the if I do this will he do that head games. Now there are so many more possibilities, at least the first few turns.

• For Japan I think you should go after ANZAC and just start killing the Chinese and start bombing India.

• If it looks like I am going to lose, I will knock down all the pieces and scream from the top of my lungs that my opponent is a cheater :-D

• @Brain:

If it looks like I am going to lose, I will knock down all the pieces and scream from the top of my lungs that my opponent is a cheater :-D

i prefer throwing the table over :D

• We have a flip the board rule. If you flip the board you pay all players (friends and foes) $10 each. Cash no ipc’s. Then they get to pound you.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m